Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Committee opinion No. 713: antenatal corticosteroid therapy for fetal maturation.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: e102-e109
- A controlled trial of antepartum glucocorticoid treatment for prevention of the respiratory distress syndrome in premature infants.Pediatrics. 1972; 50: 515-525
- Antenatal corticosteroids for accelerating fetal lung maturation for women at risk of preterm birth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 3: CD004454
- Antenatal corticosteroids: an assessment of anticipated benefits and potential risks.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 219: 62-74
- Mechanisms of glucocorticoid action during development.Curr Top Dev Biol. 2017; 125: 147-170
- Threatened preterm labor is a risk factor for impaired cognitive development in early childhood.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 157.e1-157.e7
- Long term effects of antenatal betamethasone on lung function: 30 year follow up of a randomised controlled trial.Thorax. 2006; 61: 678-683
- Physical development and medical history of children who were treated antenatally with corticosteroids to prevent respiratory distress syndrome: a 10- to 12-year follow-up.Pediatrics. 1990; 86: 65-70
- Antenatal corticosteriods decrease forced vital capacity in infants born fullterm.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2020; 55: 2630-2634
- Are newborn outcomes different for term babies who were exposed to antenatal corticosteroids?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 225: 536.e1-536.e7
- Managing perinatal data with the Regenstrief medical record system.J Ambul Care Manage. 1992; 15: 40-53
- The Regenstrief Medical Record System: a quarter century experience.Int J Med Inform. 1999; (54:225–53)
World Heatlh organization growth curves. Accessed through Centers for Disease Control website. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/who_charts.htm#The%20WHO%20Growth%20Charts. Accessed February 1, 2021.
- Most recent national asthma data.2021 (Available at:)Accessed February 1, 2021)
- Animal models of antenatal corticosteroids: clinical implications.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 46: 174-189
- Long term follow-up of infants receiving single vs repeat courses of antenatal corticosteroids (ACS) from the MFMU RCT.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: S2
- Single versus weekly courses of antenatal corticosteroids: evaluation of safety and efficacy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: 633-642
- Effects of repeat prenatal corticosteroids given to women at risk of preterm birth: an individual participant data meta-analysis.PLoS Med. 2019; 16: e1002771
- Effect of single versus multiple courses of antenatal corticosteroids on maternal and neonatal outcome.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 182: 1243-1249
- [Foetal programming of nutrition-related chronic diseases].Sante. 2002; 12: 56-63
- Multiple Courses of Antenatal corticosteroids for peeterm birth study: 5-year outcomes (MACS-5).JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 1102-1110
- Antenatal corticosteroids are currently used excessively and more stringent controls on their use should be established: FOR: the use of antenatal corticosteroids should be restricted if we are to avoid causing harm.BJOG. 2016; 123: 1787
- Associations between maternal antenatal corticosteroid treatment and mental and behavioral disorders in children.JAMA. 2020; 323: 1924-1933
- Prenatal glucocorticoid treatment and later mental health in children and adolescents.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e81394
- Is an episode of suspected preterm labor that subsequently leads to a term delivery benign?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 89-94
- An episode of preterm labor is a risk factor for the birth of a small-for-gestational-age neonate.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196: 574.e1-574.e5
- Determinants of small for gestational age birth at term.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012; 26: 525-533
- Do patients who deliver at term after being hospitalized for preterm contractions have an increased risk for obstetrical complications?.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2013; 288: 537-542
- The preterm parturition syndrome.BJOG. 2006; 113: 17-42
- Altered gene expression in human placenta after suspected preterm labour.Placenta. 2017; 55: 21-28
- Altered DNA methylation in human placenta after (suspected) preterm labor.Epigenomics. 2020; 12: 1769-1782
- Neonatal adrenal function after repeat dose prenatal corticosteroids: a randomized controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 861-867
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was funded, in part, with support from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (R01HD088014 to D.M.H.). The content is solely the responsibility of the authors and does not necessarily represent the official views of the National Institutes of Health. Support was also provided by the Indiana University School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology to the Indiana University Center for Pharmacogenetics and Therapeutics Research in Maternal and Child Health (PREGMED).
Cite this article as: Osteen SJ, Yang Z, McKinzie AH, et al. Long-term childhood outcomes for babies born at term who were exposed to antenatal corticosteroids. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2023;228:80.e1-6.