Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence in women with surgically managed rectal prolapse: a population-based case-control study.Dis Colon Rectum. 2006; 49: 28-35
- Complex pelvic organ prolapse: decision-making algorithm.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2019; 34: 189-192
- Combined rectopexy and sacrocolpopexy is safe for correction of pelvic organ prolapse.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2018; 33: 1453-1459
- Surgery for complete (full-thickness) rectal prolapse in adults.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 2015: CD001758
Maher C, Feiner B, Baessler K, Schmid C. Surgical management of pelvic organ prolapse in women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev2013:CD004014.
- Mesh sacrocolpopexy compared with native tissue vaginal repair: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 44-55
- Approaching combined rectal and vaginal prolapse.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2022; 34: 302-310
- Long-term outcomes after ventral rectopexy with sacrocolpo- or hysteropexy for the treatment of concurrent rectal and pelvic organ prolapse.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2018; 24: 336-340
- Safety of combined abdominal sacral colpopexy and sigmoid resection with suture rectopexy: a retrospective cohort study.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2015; 21: 18-24
- The standardization of terminology of female pelvic organ prolapse and pelvic floor dysfunction.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 175: 10-17
- Classification of surgical complications: a new proposal with evaluation in a cohort of 6336 patients and results of a survey.Ann Surg. 2004; 240: 205-213
- Complications following vaginal colpopexy for the repair of pelvic organ prolapse.Int Urogynecol J. 2021; 32: 993-999
- Complete rectal prolapse: evolution of management and results.Dis Colon Rectum. 1999; 42 (discussion 466–9): 460-466
- Surgical management of rectal prolapse.Arch Surg. 2005; 140: 63-73
- Surgical site infections after colorectal surgery: do risk factors vary depending on the type of infection considered?.Surgery. 2007; 142: 704-711
- Predictors of surgical site infection in women undergoing hysterectomy for benign gynecologic disease: a multicenter analysis using the national surgical quality improvement program data.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2014; 21: 901-909
- Perioperative adverse events after minimally invasive abdominal sacrocolpopexy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 547.e1-547.e8
- Robot-assisted sacrocolporectopexy for multicompartment prolapse of the pelvic floor: a prospective cohort study evaluating functional and sexual outcome.Dis Colon Rectum. 2016; 59: 968-974
- Laparoscopic sacrocolpopexy plus ventral rectopexy as combined treatment for multicompartment pelvic organ prolapse.Tech Coloproctol. 2020; 24: 573-584
- Trends in the diagnosis and management of combined rectal and vaginal pelvic organ prolapse.Urology. 2021; 150: 188-193
- Long-term anatomical and functional results of robot-assisted pelvic floor surgery for the management of multicompartment prolapse: a prospective study.Dis Colon Rectum. 2020; 63: 1293-1301
- Robotic sacrocolpoperineopexy with ventral rectopexy for the combined treatment of rectal and pelvic organ prolapse: initial report and technique.J Robot Surg. 2011; 5: 167-173
- The effect of surgical start time in patients undergoing minimally invasive sacrocolpopexy.Int Urogynecol J. 2016; 27: 1535-1539
- Surgical management of combined rectal and genital prolapse in young patients: transabdominal approach.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2005; 20: 173-179
- Abdominal colporectopexy with pelvic cul-de-sac closure.Dis Colon Rectum. 2002; 45 (discussion 526–9): 522-526
- Laparoscopic ventral rectopexy with sacrocolpopexy for coexisting pelvic organ prolapse and external rectal prolapse.J Anus Rectum Colon. 2018; 1: 141-146
- Surgical management of pelvic organ prolapse in females: functional outcome of mesh sacrocolpopexy and rectopexy as a combined procedure.Dis Colon Rectum. 2007; 50: 1412-1421
- Pelvic floor-lifting: an interdisciplinary repair of combined rectal and vaginal prolapse-5 years experience.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2013; 288: 83-90
- Combined surgery in pelvic organ prolapse is safe and effective.Colorectal Dis. 2010; 12: 188-192
- Feasibility and functional outcome of laparoscopic sacrocolporectopexy for combined vaginal and rectal prolapse.Dis Colon Rectum. 2008; 51: 1414-1420
- Laparoscopic ventral rectopexy, posterior colporrhaphy and vaginal sacrocolpopexy for the treatment of recto-genital prolapse and mechanical outlet obstruction.Colorectal Dis. 2008; 10: 138-143
- Surgical approach, complications, and reoperation rates of combined rectal and pelvic organ prolapse surgery.Int Urogynecol J. 2020; 31: 2101-2108
- Sacrocolpopexy with rectopexy for pelvic floor prolapse improves bowel function and quality of life.Dis Colon Rectum. 2013; 56: 1415-1422
- Laparoscopic vaginal suspension and rectopexy for rectal prolapse.Ann Coloproctol. 2017; 33: 64-69
- Effect of uterosacral ligament suspension vs sacrospinous ligament fixation with or without perioperative behavioral therapy for pelvic organ vaginal prolapse on surgical outcomes and prolapse symptoms at 5 years in the OPTIMAL randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1554-1565
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
E.R.S. reports grant funding to Stanford University from the National Institutes of Health, Foundation for Female Health Awareness, Cook MyoSite Inc, Coloplast, ACell, and Cynosure. E.R.S. owns stock in Pelvalon and received travel reimbursement from Contura.
The other authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was funded by the American Urogynecologic Society and Society of Gynecologic Surgeons Fellows Pelvic Research Network .
Cite this article as: Wallace SL, Kim Y, Lai E, et al. Postoperative complications and pelvic organ prolapse recurrence following combined pelvic organ prolapse and rectal prolapse surgery compared to pelvic organ prolapse–only surgery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.