Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Congenital cytomegalovirus infection in pregnancy and the neonate: consensus recommendations for prevention, diagnosis, and therapy.Lancet Infect Dis. 2017; 17: e177-e188
- Congenital cytomegalovirus among children with cerebral palsy.J Pediatr. 2017; 181: 267-271.e1
- Cytomegalovirus-induced brain malformations in fetuses.J Neuropathol Exp Neurol. 2014; 73: 143-158
- Revisiting short- and long-term outcome after fetal first-trimester primary cytomegalovirus infection in relation to prenatal imaging findings.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 56: 572-578
- A randomized trial of hyperimmune globulin to prevent congenital cytomegalovirus.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1316-1326
- Prognostic markers of symptomatic congenital human cytomegalovirus infection in fetal blood.BJOG. 2011; 118: 448-456
- The amniotic fluid transcriptome as a guide to understanding fetal disease.Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2015; 5: a023101
- The amniotic fluid transcriptome: a source of novel information about human fetal development.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 111-118
- Global gene expression analysis of amniotic fluid cell-free RNA from recipient twins with twin-twin transfusion syndrome.Prenat Diagn. 2013; 33: 873-883
- Amniotic fluid transcriptomics reflects novel disease mechanisms in fetuses with myelomeningocele.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 217: 587.e1-587.e10
- Amniotic fluid cell-free transcriptome: a glimpse into fetal development and placental cellular dynamics during normal pregnancy.BMC Med Genomics. 2020; 13: 25
- Systems biology evaluation of cell-free amniotic fluid transcriptome of term and preterm infants to detect fetal maturity.BMC Med Genomics. 2015; 8: 67
- Intrinsic immune mechanisms restricting human cytomegalovirus replication.Viruses. 2021; 13: 179
- Viperine (cig5), an IFN-inducible antiviral protein directly induced by human cytomegalovirus.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001; 98: 15125-15130
- RNA sequencing reveals diverse functions of amniotic fluid neutrophils and monocytes/macrophages in intra-amniotic infection.J Innate Immun. 2021; 13: 63-82
- The origin of amniotic fluid monocytes/macrophages in women with intra-amniotic inflammation or infection.J Perinat Med. 2019; 47: 822-840
- Congenital human cytomegalovirus infection and neurologic diseases in newborns.Chin Med J (Engl). 2019; 132: 2109-2118
- Human cytomegalovirus IE2 protein disturbs brain development by the dysregulation of neural stem cell maintenance and the polarization of migrating neurons.J Virol. 2017; 91 (e00799–17)
- Proteome profile of peripheral myelin in healthy mice and in a neuropathy model.eLife. 2020; 9e51406
- DNA methylation signatures in development and aging of the human prefrontal cortex.Am J Hum Genet. 2012; 90: 260-272
- Cytomegalovirus infection during pregnancy: state of the science.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 223: 330-349
- RNA-Seq and expression microarray highlight different aspects of the fetal amniotic fluid transcriptome.Prenat Diagn. 2014; 34: 1006-1014
- Experimental validation of methods for differential gene expression analysis and sample pooling in RNA-seq.BMC Genomics. 2015; 16: 548
- Elimination of PCR duplicates in RNA-seq and small RNA-seq using unique molecular identifiers.BMC Genomics. 2018; 19: 531
- Design and validation issues in RNA-seq experiments.Brief Bioinform. 2011; 12: 280-287
- Do results obtained with RNA-sequencing require independent verification?.Biofilm. 2021; 3: 100043
- Benchmarking of RNA-sequencing analysis workflows using whole-transcriptome RT-qPCR expression data.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 1559
- The amniotic fluid cell-free transcriptome in spontaneous preterm labor.Sci Rep. 2021; 11: 13481
- Valaciclovir to prevent vertical transmission of cytomegalovirus after maternal primary infection during pregnancy: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2020; 396: 779-785
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was funded by a Sylvia and Charles Viertel Clinical Investigator grant and the National Health and Medical Research Council (grant numbers 1196010 and 1105603 to L.H. and grant number 1146128 to N.J.H.). The funding sources had no involvement in the study design, collection, analysis, data interpretation, or writing of the report.
Data sharing: All analysis code presented in this manuscript can be found at https://jovmaksimovic.github.io/amnio-cell-free-RNA/index.html. The analysis website was created using the workflowr (1.6.2) R package. The GitHub repository associated with the analysis website is at: https://github.com/JovMaksimovic/amnio-cell-free-RNA.
Ethical approval precluded deposition of the sequencing datasets in a public genomic data repository; however the de-identified, processed, unnormalized read counts may be available to researchers on reasonable request to [email protected] , subject to Mercy Health ethics committee approval.
Cite this article as: Hui L, De Catte L, Beard S, et al. RNA-Seq of amniotic fluid cell-free RNA: a discovery phase study of the pathophysiology of congenital cytomegalovirus infection. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2022;XX:x.ex–x.ex.