Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Both urgency and balance needed in addressing opioid epidemic: a report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine.JAMA. 2017; 318: 423-424
- Iatrogenic opioid dependence in the United States: are surgeons the gatekeepers?.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 728-730
- Opioid use and storage patterns by patients after hospital discharge following surgery.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0147972
- Wide variation and excessive dosage of opioid prescriptions for common general surgical procedures.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 709-714
- Results from the 2013 National Survey on Drug Use and Health: summary of national findings, NSDUH.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2014
- Management of postoperative pain: a clinical practice guideline from the American Pain Society, the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists’ Committee on Regional Anesthesia, Executive Committee, and Administrative Council.J Pain. 2016; 17: 131-157
- Patterns of opioid prescription and use after cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 29-35
- Opioid prescribing patterns, patient use, and postoperative pain after hysterectomy for benign indications.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 1261-1268
- Postoperative opioid utilization in older women undergoing pelvic organ prolapse surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021; 27: 304-309
- Opioid use following gynecologic and pelvic reconstructive surgery.Int Urogynecol J. 2018; 29: 1441-1445
- Outpatient narcotic use after minimally invasive urogynecologic surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2016; 22: 377-381
- Opioid prescribing practices and medication use following urogynecological surgery.Neurourol Urodyn. 2019; 38: 363-368
- Opioid prescription and use in sacral neuromodulation, mid urethral sling and pelvic organ prolapse surgery: an educational intervention to avoid over prescribing.J Urol. 2019; 201: 979-986
- Postoperative opioid prescribing after female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021; 27: 643-653
- Opioid prescribing and utilization following isolated mid-urethral sling.Cureus. 2021; 13e19595
- Postoperative narcotic use after ambulatory gynecologic surgery.J Gynecol Surg. 2020; 36: 306-312
- Joint position statement on midurethral slings for stress urinary incontinence.Neurourol Urodyn. 2022; 41: 31-34
- The Pain Catastrophizing Scale: user manual. 2009.(Available at:)Accessed May 19, 2022)
- Preoperative pelvic floor injections with bupivacaine and dexamethasone for pain control after vaginal prolapse repair: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 137: 21-31
- Applied longitudinal analysis.2nd ed. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ2011
- Postoperative opioid filling patterns in women undergoing midurethral sling placement.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021; 27: e321-e325
- Predictive factors of postdischarge narcotic use after female pelvic reconstructive surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2019; 25: e18-e22
- Age and perioperative outcomes after implementation of an enhanced recovery after surgery pathway in women undergoing major prolapse repair surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021; 27: e392-e398
- Assessing the impact of procedure-specific opioid prescribing recommendations on opioid stewardship following pelvic organ prolapse surgery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221: 515.e1-515.e8
- Predictors of opioid administration in the acute postoperative period.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2019; 25: 347-350
- Evaluation of opioid prescriptions after urogynecologic surgery within a large health care organization: how much are we prescribing?.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2019; 25: 125-129
- Pelvic pain and apical prolapse surgery: a population-based retrospective cohort study.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2020; 26: 704-711
- Prediction of persistent pain severity and impact 12 months after breast surgery using comprehensive preoperative assessment of biopsychosocial pain modulators.Ann Surg Oncol. 2021; 28: 5015-5038
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This trial was funded by an intramural grant. Study data were collected and managed using Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) electronic data capture tools hosted at Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine. This study received National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding for RedCap, which implies compliance with NIH public access policy.
This study was registered on ClinicalTrials.gov (identifier: NCT04277975; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04277975). The clinical trial date of registration was on February 18, 2020. The date of initial participant enrollment was on June 1, 2020.
Individual participant data will be available. All individual participant data collected during the trial and after deidentification will be shared. The study protocol will be available. Data will be available immediately after publication, and there will be no end date. Data are available indefinitely at Data in Brief.
Cite this article as: Long JB, Morgan BM, Boyd SS, et al. A randomized trial of standard vs restricted opioid prescribing following midurethral sling. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2022;227:313.e1-9.