Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Postoperative opioid prescribing after female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021; 27: 643-653
- Low pain score after total laparoscopic hysterectomy and same-day discharge within less than 5 hours: results of a prospective observational study.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2015; 22: 1293-1299
- A novel injection technique for extended-release local anesthetic after posterior colporrhaphy and perineorrhaphy: a randomized controlled study.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021; 27: 344-350
- Outpatient vaginal hysterectomy: comparison of conventional suture ligature versus electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing.J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod. 2017; 46: 399-404
- Randomized trial of preemptive local analgesia in vaginal surgery.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2009; 20: 5-10
- The effect of intravenous acetaminophen on postoperative pain and narcotic consumption after vaginal reconstructive surgery: a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trial.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2017; 23: 80-85
- Liposomal bupivacaine during robotic colpopexy and posterior repair: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: 39-46
- A comprehensive model for pain management in patients undergoing pelvic reconstructive surgery: a prospective clinical practice study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 223: 262.e1-262.e8
- Optimizing perioperative pain control after ambulatory urogynecologic surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2020; 26: 483-487
- Recovery at home after major gynecologic surgery: how do our patients fare?.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 119: 780-784
- New topical treatment of vulvodynia based on the pathogenetic role of cross talk between nociceptors, immunocompetent cells, and epithelial cells.J Pain Res. 2016; 9: 757-762
- Multidisciplinary evaluation and treatment of vulvar disorders. Innovation Compounding Pharmacy.(Available at:)https://www.pfdweek.org/assets/3/6/Starr_Slides_3.pdfDate: 2019Date accessed: November 28, 2021
- Vaginal diazepam use with urogenital pain/pelvic floor dysfunction: serum diazepam levels and efficacy data.Urol Nurs. 2011; 31 (299): 279-284
- Advances in the treatment of chronic pelvic pain: a multidisciplinary approach to treatment.Mo Med. 2017; 114: 47-51
- Retrospective chart review of vaginal diazepam suppository use in high-tone pelvic floor dysfunction.Int Urogynecol J. 2010; 21: 895-899
- Randomized controlled trial of postoperative belladonna and opium rectal suppositories in vaginal surgery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 491.e1-491.e6
- Effectiveness of a pre-emptive preoperative belladonna and opium suppository on postoperative urgency and pain after ureteroscopy.J Perianesth Nurs. 2019; 34: 594-599
- Preoperative belladonna and opium suppository for ureteral stent pain: a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study.Urology. 2017; 100: 27-32
- Validation of the surgical pain scales in women undergoing pelvic reconstructive surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2012; 18: 198-204
- Quality of life and surgical satisfaction after vaginal reconstructive vs obliterative surgery for the treatment of advanced pelvic organ prolapse.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: 573.e1-573.e7
- Vaginal diazepam for nonrelaxing pelvic floor dysfunction: the pharmacokinetic profile.J Sex Med. 2019; 16: 763-766
Diazepam. In: Lexi-drugs online [database on the Internet]. Hudson (OH): Lexicomp, Inc.; 2022 [updated 16 May 2022]. Available at: http://online.lexi.com. Accessed November 8, 2019.
- Intra-vaginal diazepam for high-tone pelvic floor dysfunction: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.Int Urogynecol J. 2013; 24: 1915-1923
- Intravaginal diazepam for the treatment of pelvic floor hypertonic disorder: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2019; 25: 76-81
- Multimodal opioid-sparing postoperative pain regimen compared with the standard postoperative pain regimen in vaginal pelvic reconstructive surgery: a multicenter randomized controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221: 511.e1-511.e10
- Enhanced recovery program for minimally invasive and vaginal urogynecologic surgery.Int Urogynecol J. 2019; 30: 313-321
- The lancet handbook of essential concepts in clinical research.1st ed. The Lancet, England, United Kingdom2006
- Physiological and pharmaceutical considerations for rectal drug formulations.Front Pharmacol. 2019; 10: 1196
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study received funding from the TriHealth Medical Education Research Fund. The funding source had no role in the development, data collection or analysis, or writing of this report.
This study was registered on ClinicalTrials.gov (identification number: NCT04198233; https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04198233). The clinical trial date of registration was on December 13, 2019. The date of initial participant enrollment was on February 12, 2020.
Individual participant data will be available. All enrollment and collected data will be shared. Study protocol, informed consent document, data collection forms will be available. Data will be available on study publication. Data will be shared via secured messaging system with interested parties for secondary analyses.
Cite this article as: Aldrich ER, Tam TY, Saylor LM, et al. Intrarectal diazepam following pelvic reconstructive surgery: a double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2022;227:302.e1-9.