Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Average risks of breast and ovarian cancer associated with BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations detected in case series unselected for family history: a combined analysis of 22 studies.Am J Hum Genet. 2003; 72: 1117-1130
- Risks of breast, ovarian, and contralateral breast cancer for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers.JAMA. 2017; 317: 2402-2416
- Hereditary and familial colon cancer.Gastroenterology. 2010; 138: 2044-2058
- Cancer risk and survival in path_MMR carriers by gene and gender up to 75 years of age: a report from the Prospective Lynch Syndrome Database.Gut. 2018; 67: 1306-1316
- Hereditary ovarian cancer: not only BRCA 1 and 2 genes.BioMed Res Int. 2015; 2015: 341723
- Detection of germline mutations in patients with epithelial ovarian cancer using multi-gene panels: beyond BRCA1/2.Cancer Res Treat. 2018; 50: 917-925
- Prevalence of deleterious germline variants in risk genes including BRCA1/2 in consecutive ovarian cancer patients (AGO-TR-1).PLoS One. 2017; 12e0186043
- Mutations in 12 genes for inherited ovarian, fallopian tube, and peritoneal carcinoma identified by massively parallel sequencing.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011; 108: 18032-18037
- Association of risk-reducing surgery in BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation carriers with cancer risk and mortality.JAMA. 2010; 304: 967-975
- Meta-analysis of risk reduction estimates associated with risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy in BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation carriers.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009; 101: 80-87
- Impact of oophorectomy on cancer incidence and mortality in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 1547-1553
- Risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy in women with a BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1609-1615
- Cancer risks for BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers: results from prospective analysis of EMBRACE.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013; 105: 812-822
- Intracrine androgen biosynthesis, metabolism and action revisited.Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2018; 465: 4-26
- Circulating sex hormones and breast cancer risk factors in postmenopausal women: reanalysis of 13 studies.Br J Cancer. 2011; 105: 709-722
- Hysterectomy, oophorectomy, and endogenous sex hormone levels in older women: the Rancho Bernardo Study.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2000; 85: 645-651
- Associations between reproductive and menstrual factors and postmenopausal androgen concentrations.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2005; 14: 704-712
- Circulating androgen levels before and after oophorectomy in premenopausal and postmenopausal women.Climacteric. 2019; 22: 169-174
- Ovarian androgen production in postmenopausal women.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 3040-3043
- Androgen levels in adult females: changes with age, menopause, and oophorectomy.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 3847-3853
- The postmenopausal ovary is not a major androgen-producing gland.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86: 5060-5066
- Ovarian conservation at the time of hysterectomy for benign disease.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 219-226
- Long-term mortality associated with oophorectomy compared with ovarian conservation in the Nurses’ Health Study.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 121: 709-716
- Should the ovaries be removed or retained at the time of hysterectomy for benign disease?.Hum Reprod Update. 2010; 16: 131-141
- Metabolic syndrome after risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy in women at high risk for hereditary breast ovarian cancer: a controlled observational study.Eur J Cancer. 2009; 45: 82-89
- Association of bilateral oophorectomy with cognitive function in healthy, postmenopausal women.Fertil Steril. 2016; 106: 749-756.e2
- Long-term overall and disease-specific mortality associated with benign gynecologic surgery performed at different ages.Menopause. 2014; 21: 592-601
- Ovarian volume: determinants and associations with cancer among postmenopausal women.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006; 15: 1550-1554
- Ovarian volume assessment in relation to histologic findings and sex hormone levels in women with postmenopausal bleeding and thickened endometrium.Ann Saudi Med. 2012; 32: 588-592
- Ovarian volumes among women with endometrial carcinoma: associations with risk factors and serum hormones.Gynecol Oncol. 2007; 107: 431-435
- Ovarian volume is associated with adiposity measures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women.J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2018; 18: 501-508
- A prospective study of risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy and longitudinal CA-125 screening among women at increased genetic risk of ovarian cancer: design and baseline characteristics: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2008; 17: 594-604
- Pathologic findings at risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy: primary results from Gynecologic Oncology Group Trial GOG-0199.J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 3275-3283
- Ovarian cancer screening: development of the risk of ovarian cancer algorithm (ROCA) and ROCA screening trials.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2012; 22: S24-S26
- Early detection of ovarian cancer using the risk of ovarian cancer algorithm with frequent CA125 testing in women at increased familial risk - combined results from two screening trials.Clin Cancer Res. 2017; 23: 3628-3637
- Long-term survival of women with epithelial ovarian cancer detected by ultrasonographic screening.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 1212-1221
- Quality assurance and its impact on ovarian visualization rates in the multicenter United Kingdom Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening (UKCTOCS).Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 47: 228-235
- Factors affecting visualization of postmenopausal ovaries: descriptive study from the multicenter United Kingdom Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening (UKCTOCS).Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 42: 472-477
- Analysis of serial ovarian volume measurements and incidence of ovarian cancer: implications for pathogenesis.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2014; 106: dju262
- Sonographers’ self-reported visualization of normal postmenopausal ovaries on transvaginal ultrasound is not reliable: results of expert review of archived images from UKCTOCS.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 51: 401-408
- Bilateral oophorectomy is not associated with increased mortality: the California Teachers Study.Fertil Steril. 2012; 97: 111-117
- Profiling of endogenous estrogens, their precursors, and metabolites in endometrial cancer patients: association with risk and relationship to clinical characteristics.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2011; 96: E330-E339
- Androgen glucuronides, instead of testosterone, as the new markers of androgenic activity in women.J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2006; 99: 182-188
M.H.G. is a National Institutes of Health (NIH) emeritus investigator.
This study was supported by NIH grants to the NRG Oncology (grant number 1 U10 CA180822), the NRG Operations (grant number U10CA180868), and the National Cancer Institute Community Oncology Research Program (grant number UG1CA189867).
GOG-0199 is a collaborative study with multiple primary, secondary, and ancillary objectives. The detail of the study and study materials have been published previously. The data are still being analyzed for other objectives.
The study design, study objectives, study materials, study forms, and data collection instruments have been published previously.
K.J.W. reports serving as a member of GlaxoSmithKline Speaker Bureau for Niraparib from 2019 to the present. The other authors report no conflict of interest.
The following NRG and Gynecologic Oncology Group member institutions participated in this study: The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; Australia New Zealand Gynaecological Oncology Group; Women and Infants Hospital; Evanston Community Clinical Oncology Program (CCOP)-NorthShore University Health System; Gynecologic Oncology Network/Brody School of Medicine; Fletcher Allen Health Care; Metro-Minnesota CCOP; University of Mississippi Medical Center; University of Virginia; University of Chicago; Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center; Mayo Clinic; Case Western Reserve University; Walter Reed National Military Medical Center; University of California at Los Angeles Health System; Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center; Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute; Yale University; Washington University School of Medicine; University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center; Delaware/Christiana Care CCOP; University of California Medical Center at Irvine - Orange Campus; MD Anderson Cancer Center; Wisconsin National Cancer Institute (NCI) Community Oncology Research Program; University of Minnesota Medical Center - Fairview; Tufts-New England Medical Center; University of New Mexico; Fox Chase Cancer Center; University of Massachusetts Memorial Health Care; Tacoma General Hospital; The Hospital of Central Connecticut; Carle Cancer Center; Cancer Research Consortium of West Michigan NCI Community Oncology Research Program; Virginia Commonwealth University; Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center; Duke University Medical Center; Wayne State University /Karmanos Cancer Institute; University of Colorado Cancer Center - Anschutz Cancer Pavilion; University of Cincinnati; University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics; The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center; Indiana University Hospital/Melvin and Bren Simon Cancer Center; Rush University Medical Center; Cleveland Clinic Foundation; Ellis Fischer Cancer Center; Mark O Hatfield - Warren Grant Magnuson Clinical Center; Scott and White Memorial Hospital; Missouri Cancer Consortium CCOP; Northern Indiana Cancer Research Consortium; and Upstate Carolina CCOP.
Cite this article as: Mai PL, Miller A, Black A, et al. Effect of risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy on sex steroid hormone serum levels among postmenopausal women: an NRG Oncology/Gynecologic Oncology Group study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2022;227:61.e1-18.