- Chronic pelvic pain.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 101: 594-611
- Chronic pelvic pain: prevalence, health-related quality of life, and economic correlates.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 87: 321-327
- Estimates of the prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States. Part II.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 26-35
- Successful implementation of the Department of Veterans Affairs’ National Surgical Quality Improvement Program in the private sector: the Patient Safety in Surgery study.Ann Surg. 2008; 248: 329-336
- Prevalence of symptoms of bladder pain syndrome/interstitial cystitis among adult females in the united states.J Urol. 2011; 186: 540-544
- Opioid pain medication use in new urogynecology patients.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2020; 26: 622-625
- Predicting treatment choice for patients with pelvic organ prolapse.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 101: 1279-1284
- Quality of life and sexual function after hysterectomy in women with preoperative pain and depression.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 104: 701-709
- The effectiveness of hysterectomy for chronic pelvic pain.Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 86: 941-945
- A prospective study of chronic pain after thoracic surgery.Anesthesiology. 2017; 126: 938-951
- Chronic pain and quality of life following open inguinal hernia repair.Br J Surg. 2001; 88: 1122-1126
- Pain from primary inguinal hernia and the effect of repair on pain.Br J Surg. 2002; 89: 1315-1318
- Preoperative prediction of chronic postsurgical pain after thoracotomy: need for adequately sized population-based samples.Anesthesiology. 2018; 128: 224
- Outcomes following vaginal prolapse repair and mid urethral sling (OPUS) trial--design and methods.Clin Trials. 2009; 6: 162-171
- A midurethral sling to reduce incontinence after vaginal prolapse repair.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 2358-2367
- Comparison of recovery from postoperative pain utilizing two sling techniques.Can J Urol. 2003; 10: 1759-1763
- Psychometric evaluation of 2 comprehensive condition-specific quality of life instruments for women with pelvic floor disorders.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 185: 1388-1395
- Validation of two global impression questionnaires for incontinence.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189: 98-101
- Interpretation of visual analog scale ratings and change scores: a reanalysis of two clinical trials of postoperative pain.J Pain. 2003; 4: 407-414
- Incidence and risk factors for pelvic pain after mesh implant surgery for the treatment of pelvic floor disorders.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2017; 24: 67-73
- Characterization of pain after inside-out transobturator midurethral sling.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2014; 20: 99-103
- Presurgical comorbidities as risk factors for chronic postsurgical pain following total knee replacement.Clin J Pain. 2019; 35: 577-582
- Prevalence and predictors of chronic postsurgical pain in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pain. 2017; 18: 605-614
- The association of pre-operative body pain diagram scores with pain outcomes following total knee arthroplasty.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2017; 25: 667-675
- Psychologic status and influence of surgery techniques on acute nonneuropathic pain after dental implant surgery: systematic review and meta-analyses.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2021; 36: 248-269
- Preoperative predictors of poor acute postoperative pain control: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e025091
- Chronic post-surgical pain: 10 years on.Br J Anaesth. 2008; 101: 77-86
- Transition from acute to chronic pain: evaluating risk for chronic postsurgical pain.Pain Physician. 2019; 22: 479-488
- Prediction of postoperative pain after gynecologic laparoscopy for nonacute pelvic pain.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 360.e1-360.e8
- Pain, psychosocial tests, pain sensitization and laparoscopic pelvic surgery.Scand J Pain. 2018; 18: 49-57
- Risk factors for chronic pain after hysterectomy: a nationwide questionnaire and database study.Anesthesiology. 2007; 106: 1003-1012
- Preoperative quantitative sensory testing and robot-assisted laparoscopic hysterectomy for endometrial cancer: can chronic postoperative pain be predicted?.Scand J Pain. 2020; 20: 693-705
The authors report no conflict of interest.
No funding was used for the conduct of this secondary analysis. This study was supported by a grant from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development , National Institutes of Health .
Data in this study were collected by the Pelvic Floor Disorders Network.
The contents of this study are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the views of the Pelvic Floor Disorders Network investigators or the National Institutes of Health.
Cite this article as: Sappenfield EC, Tulikangas PK, Wang R. The impact of preoperative pelvic pain on outcomes after vaginal reconstructive surgery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:564.e1-9.