Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Chronic pelvic pain: prevalence, health-related quality of life, and economic correlates.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 87: 321-327
- Prevalence of chronic pain in the UK: a systematic review and meta-analysis of population studies.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e010364
- The impact of endometriosis upon quality of life: a qualitative analysis.J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2004; 25: 123-133
- Psychosocial factors and chronic pelvic pain: a comparison of women with endometriosis and with unexplained pain.J Psychosom Res. 1996; 40: 305-315
- The burden of endometriosis on women’s lifespan: a narrative overview on quality of life and psychosocial wellbeing.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020; 17: 4683
- Impact of endometriosis on life-course potential: a narrative review.Int J Gen Med. 2021; 14: 9-25
- A prospective study of risk factors for pain persisting 4 months after hysterectomy.Clin J Pain. 2009; 25: 263-268
- Risk factors for chronic pain after hysterectomy: a nationwide questionnaire and database study.Anesthesiology. 2007; 106: 1003-1012
- Genetic and clinical factors associated with chronic postsurgical pain after hernia repair, hysterectomy, and thoracotomy: a two-year multicenter cohort study.Anesthesiology. 2015; 122: 1123-1141
- The IASP classification of chronic pain for ICD-11: chronic primary pain.Pain. 2019; 160: 28-37
- Central changes associated with chronic pelvic pain and endometriosis.Hum Reprod Update. 2014; 20: 737-747
- Peripheral changes in endometriosis-associated pain.Hum Reprod Update. 2014; 20: 717-736
- Increased pressure pain sensitivity in women with chronic pelvic pain.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 1047-1055
- Changes in regional gray matter volume in women with chronic pelvic pain: a voxel-based morphometry study.Pain. 2012; 153: 1006-1014
- Functional connectivity is associated with altered brain chemistry in women with endometriosis-associated chronic pelvic pain.J Pain. 2016; 17: 1-13
- Characteristics of fibromyalgia independently predict poorer long-term analgesic outcomes following total knee and hip arthroplasty.Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015; 67: 1386-1394
- Validation of the Fibromyalgia Survey Questionnaire within a cross-sectional survey.PLoS One. 2012; 7e37504
- Fibromyalgia survey criteria are associated with increased postoperative opioid consumption in women undergoing hysterectomy.Anesthesiology. 2015; 122: 1103-1111
- Opioid prescribing patterns, patient use, and postoperative pain after hysterectomy for benign indications.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 1261-1268
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Acta Psychiatr Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370
- Revised American Society for Reproductive Medicine classification of endometriosis: 1996.Fertil Steril. 1997; 67: 817-821
- Adhesion Scoring Group.Fertil Steril. 1994; 62: 984-988
- Interpreting the clinical importance of group differences in chronic pain clinical trials: IMMPACT recommendations.Pain. 2009; 146: 238-244
- CHORUS: An International Collaboration for Harmonising Outcomes, Research and Standards in Urogynaecology and Women’s Health (i-chorus.org). Evaluation of clinical practice guidelines (CPG) on the management of female chronic pelvic pain (CPP) using the AGREE II instrument.Int Urogynecol J. 2021; ([Epub ahead of print])
- The effectiveness of hysterectomy for chronic pelvic pain.Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 86: 941-945
- Long-term outcome of nonconservative surgery (hysterectomy) for endometriosis-associated pain in women <30 years old.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 180: 1360-1363
- Surgical treatment of endometriosis: a 7-year follow-up on the requirement for further surgery.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 1285-1292
- Effectiveness of hysterectomy.Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 95: 319-326
- Hysterectomy for chronic pelvic pain of presumed uterine etiology.Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 75: 676-679
- Incidence of symptom recurrence after hysterectomy for endometriosis.Fertil Steril. 1995; 64: 898-902
- Impact of perioperative pain intensity, pain qualities, and opioid use on chronic pain after surgery: a prospective cohort study.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2012; 37: 19-27
- A proposed platform for phenotyping endometriosis-associated pain: unifying peripheral and central pain mechanisms.Curr Obstet Gynecol Rep. 2020; 9: 89-97
S.A. is a consultant for AbbVie, Myovant, Bayer, and Eximis, and receives author royalties from UpToDate. C.M.B. is a consultant for Heron Therapeutics (San Diego, CA), Vertex Pharmaceuticals (Boston, MA), and Alosa Health (Boston, MA) and he provides expert testimony. S.A.M. is a consultant for AbbVie and Roche and currently receives grant funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the Department of Defense, and AbbVie. The remaining authors report no conflict of interest.
S.A. is supported by Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development R01 HD088712. C.M.B. is supported by National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (NIAMS) R01AR060392, NIAMS P50 AR070600, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) R01DA038261, NIDA R01DA042859, and Common Fund UM1 NS118922. A.D.S. is supported, in part, by NIH R43 DA046981. S.R.T. is supported by Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development 1K23HD09928301A1. Additional support has been received from the Department of Anesthesiology, Michigan Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Cite this article as: As-Sanie S, Till SR, Schrepf AD, et al. Incidence and predictors of persistent pelvic pain following hysterectomy in women with chronic pelvic pain. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:568.e1-11.