Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- The nationwide frequency of major adverse outcomes in antireflux surgery and the role of surgeon experience, 1992-1997.J Am Coll Surg. 2002; 195: 611-618
- Patient safety, competency, and the future of surgical simulation.Simul Healthc. 2006; 1: 164-170
- Advancing competency-based medical education: a charter for clinician-educators.Acad Med. 2016; 91: 645-649
- Simulation in surgical education.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2012; 25: 156-165
- Implementation, construct validity, and benefit of a proficiency-based knot-tying and suturing curriculum.J Surg Educ. 2008; 65: 309-315
- Development, validation, and implementation of a cost-effective intermediate-level proficiency-based knot-tying and suturing curriculum for surgery residents.J Surg Educ. 2013; 70: 193-199
- FLS and FES: comprehensive models of training and assessment.Surg Clin North Am. 2010; 90: 535-558
- Development and evaluation of a simulator-based laparoscopic training program for surgical novices.Surg Endosc. 2013; 27: 214-221
- Trends in reported resident surgical experience in hysterectomy.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2014; 21: 1067-1070
Altman KB, Burrell D, Chen G, Chou B, Fashokun T, Vaginal Hysterectomy Simulation. ACOG Simulation Working Group. Available at: https://www.acog.org/education-and-events/simulations/scog008/simulation. Accessed March 1, 2021.
- Vaginal hysterectomy suturing skills training model and curriculum.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134: 553-558
- A novel and inexpensive vaginal hysterectomy simulator.Simul Healthc. 2012; 7: 374-379
- Validation of transvaginal hysterectomy surgical model - modification of the flowerpot model to improve vesicovaginal plane simulation.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2021; 28: 1526-1530
- Establishing validity for a vaginal hysterectomy simulation model for surgical skills assessment.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 136: 942-949
- Teaching vaginal surgery to junior residents: initial validation of 3 novel procedure-specific low-fidelity models.J Surg Educ. 2016; 73: 157-161
- Development and validation of simulation training for vaginal hysterectomy.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2014; 21: 74-82
- Validation of an educational simulation model for vaginal hysterectomy training: a pilot study.Int Urogynecol J. 2019; 30: 1329-1336
- Validation of the simulated vaginal hysterectomy trainer.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2018; 25: 1101-1106
- Multi-institutional validation of a vaginal hysterectomy simulation model for resident training.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2021; 28: 1490-1496.e1
- Assessing current trends in resident hysterectomy training.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2011; 17: 210-214
- Standards for educational and psychological testing. 2009.(Available at:)Accessed March 1, 2021)
- Validity.in: Linn R. Educational measurement. 3rd ed. American Council on Education and Macmillan, New York, NY1989: 13-103
- What counts as validity evidence? Examples and prevalence in a systematic review of simulation-based assessment.Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2014; 19: 233-250
- Reporting guidelines for health care simulation research: extensions to the CONSORT and STROBE statements.Simul Healthc. 2016; 11: 238-248
- Baseline dimensions of the human vagina.Hum Reprod. 2006; 21: 1618-1622
- Curriculum development for medical education: a six-step approach. Vol Baltimore, Md.2nd ed. Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD2009
- Constructing hierarchical task analysis in surgery.Surg Endosc. 2008; 22: 107-111
- Basic exercises in surgical technique.Davis and Geck, Wayne, NJ1987
- Development of a model for training and evaluation of laparoscopic skills.Am J Surg. 1998; 175: 482-487
- Evaluating laparoscopic skills: setting the pass/fail score for the MISTELS system.Surg Endosc. 2003; 17: 964-967
- Design of a proficiency-based skills training curriculum for the fundamentals of laparoscopic surgery.Surg Innov. 2007; 14: 107-112
- Conception of the Lübeck Toolbox Curriculum for basic minimally invasive surgery skills.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2018; 403: 271-278
- Many-facet Rasch management.MESA Press, Chicago, IL1989
- Teaching psychomotor skills in the twenty-first century: revisiting and reviewing instructional approaches through the lens of contemporary literature.Med Teach. 2016; 38: 1056-1063
- A cost-effective proficiency-based knot-tying and suturing curriculum for residency programs.J Surg Res. 2007; 141: 7-15
- Essentials in minimally invasive gynecology manual skills construct validation trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 136: 83-96
- Small-sample precision of ROC-related estimates.Bioinformatics. 2010; 26: 822-830
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This project received financial support from the University of Michigan Clinical Simulation Center Research Grant (number U063128), awarded August 15, 2018. The funder played no role in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the article for publication.
Cite this article as: Schmidt PC, Fairchild PS, Fenner DE, et al. The Fundamentals of Vaginal Surgery pilot study: developing, validating, and setting proficiency scores for a vaginal surgical skills simulation system. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:558.e1-11.