- 195: prevention of infection after gynecologic procedures.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: e172-e189
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guideline for the prevention of surgical site infection, 2017.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 784-791
- Enhanced recovery and surgical optimization protocol for minimally invasive gynecologic surgery: an AAGL white paper.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2021; 28: 179-203
- Antimicrobial effect of chlorhexidine and povidone-iodine on vaginal bacteria.J Infect. 1984; 8: 195-199
- A randomized trial that compared povidone iodine and chlorhexidine as antiseptics for vaginal hysterectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 192: 422-425
- Chlorhexidine versus iodine vaginal preparation prior to hysterectomy; a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 135: 20S
- Use of vaginal chlorhexidine antisepsis prior to hysterectomy to reduce surgical site infection.Gynecol Oncol. 2019; 154: 193-194
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1453-1457
- Surgical site infection following hysterectomy: adjusted rankings in a regional collaborative.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 259.e1-259.e8
- Major postoperative complications after benign gynecologic surgery: a clinical prediction tool.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2012; 18: 274-280
- Surgical site infection (SSI). 2010.(Available at:)Accessed January 15, 2021)
Specifications Manual for Joint Commission National Quality Core Measures. 2010. Available at: https://manual.jointcommission.org/releases/archive/TJC2010B/ProphylacticAntibioticRegimenSelectionForSurgery.html. Accessed September 29, 2021.
- Prophylactic antibiotic choice and risk of surgical site infection after hysterectomy.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 321-329
- Reducing surgical site infections after hysterectomy: metronidazole plus cefazolin compared with cephalosporin alone.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 217: 187.e1-187.e11
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424
- Impact of surgical site infection on healthcare costs and patient outcomes: a systematic review in six European countries.J Hosp Infect. 2017; 96: 1-15
- Comparison of vaginal hysterectomy techniques and interventions for benign indications: a systematic review.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 877-886
- Risk factors for emergency department visits after hysterectomy for benign disease.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 296-304
- Safety and tolerability of chlorhexidine gluconate (2%) as a vaginal operative preparation in patients undergoing gynecologic surgery.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 996-998
- Tolerance of chlorhexidine gluconate vaginal cleansing solution: a randomized controlled trial.J Gynecol Surg. 2020; 36: 13-19
- International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: a 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: e103-e120
- Pelvic surgical site infections in gynecologic surgery.Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 2015: 614950
- The role of bacterial vaginosis in infection after major gynecologic surgery.Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 7: 169-174
- Bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis vaginitis are risk factors for cuff cellulitis after abdominal hysterectomy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 163: 1016-1021
- Bactericidal and virucidal activity of povidone-iodine and chlorhexidine gluconate cleansers in an in vivo hand hygiene clinical simulation study.Infect Dis Ther. 2018; 7: 235-247
- Evaluation of post-surgical bacteremia with use of povidone-iodine and chlorhexidine during mandibular third molar surgery.J Maxillofac Oral Surg. 2017; 16: 485-490
- Preventing post-treatment bacteremia: comparing topical povidone-iodine and chlorhexidine.J Am Dent Assoc. 1995; 126: 1145-1149
- Effects of chlorhexidine gluconate douche on normal vaginal flora.Gynecol Obstet Invest. 1992; 34: 229-233
D.M.M. reports receiving royalties from UpToDate. Supported in part (partial salary) by the Michigan Surgical Quality Collaborative (D.M.M.). The remaining authors report no conflict of interest.
Salary support for D.M.M. is provided by the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan (BCBSM) for the Obstetrics Initiative. BCBSM played no role in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of the data; in the writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the article for publication.
Cite this article as: Skeith AE, Morgan DM, Schmidt PC. Vaginal preparation with povidone-iodine or chlorhexidine before hysterectomy: a propensity score matched analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:560.e1-9.