Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Postoperative voiding dysfunction following posterior colporrhaphy.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2012; 18: 32-34
- Liposomal bupivacaine efficacy for postoperative pain following posterior vaginal surgery: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 219: 500.e1-500.e8
- Transversus abdominal plane block for postoperative analgesia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized-controlled trials.Can J Anaesth. 2016; 63: 1184-1196
- Postoperative analgesia after total abdominal hysterectomy: is the transversus abdominis plane block effective?.Niger J Clin Pract. 2019; 22: 478-484
- The analgesic efficacy of ultrasound-guided transversus abdominis plane block with mid-axillary approach after gynecologic laparoscopic surgery: a randomized controlled trial.J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2015; 31: 67-71
- Pre-emptive digitally guided pudendal block after posterior vaginal repair.Int Urogynecol J. 2021; 32: 2265-2271
- Pre-emptive analgesia by nerve stimulator guided pudendal nerve block for posterior colpoperineorrhaphy.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2012; 163: 200-203
- Preemptive analgesia in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2019; 26: 198-218
Pacira Pharmaceuticals Inc. Exparel (bupivacaine liposome injectable suspension) [package insert]. U.S. Food and Drug Administration website. Available at: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2021/022496s035lbl.pdf. Accessed Aug. 8, 2021.
- Efficacy profile of liposome bupivacaine, a novel formulation of bupivacaine for postsurgical analgesia.J Pain Res. 2012; 5: 107-116
- Bupivacaine extended-release liposome injection for prolonged postsurgical analgesia in patients undergoing hemorrhoidectomy: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Dis Colon Rectum. 2011; 54: 1552-1559
- Transversus abdominis plane block with liposomal bupivacaine for pain control after cesarean delivery: a retrospective chart review.J Pain Res. 2018; 11: 3109-3116
- Intra-incisional liposomal bupivacaine and its impact on postcesarean analgesia: a retrospective study.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2019; 32: 966-970
- Ultrasound guided subcostal transversus abdominis plane (TAP) infiltration with liposomal bupivacaine for patients undergoing robotic assisted hysterectomy: a prospective randomized controlled study.Gynecol Oncol. 2015; 138: 609-613
- Transversus abdominis plane block versus surgical site infiltration for pain management after open total abdominal hysterectomy.Anesth Analg. 2015; 121: 1383-1388
- Liposomal bupivacaine decreases pain following retropubic sling placement: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 217: 598.e1-598.e11
- Liposomal bupivacaine versus bupivacaine hydrochloride with lidocaine during midurethral sling placement: a randomized controlled trial.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2019; 26: 1133-1138
- A novel injection technique for extended-release local anesthetic after posterior colporrhaphy and perineorrhaphy: a randomized controlled study.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021; 27: 344-350
- Liposomal bupivacaine during robotic colpopexy and posterior repair: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: 39-46
- Randomized double-blind trial of short- versus long-acting analgesia at the sacrospinous ligament.Int Urogynecol J. 2019; 30: 123-130
- Psychometric testing of the Defense and Veterans Pain Rating Scale (DVPRS): a new pain scale for military population.Pain Med. 2016; 17: 1505-1519
- The effect of preemptive pudendal nerve blockade on pain after transvaginal pelvic reconstructive surgery.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 782-788
- Regional anesthesia guided by ultrasound in the pudendal nerve territory.Rev Colomb Anesteiol. 2017; 45: 200-209
- A randomized controlled trial of liposomal bupivacaine for pain following obstetrical laceration.Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2020; 2: 100115
- Gaining the patient perspective on pelvic floor disorders’ surgical adverse events.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220: 185.e1-185.e10
- Pudendal block anaesthesia in obstetrics. A review of 510 operative deliveries.Br J Anaesth. 1959; 31: 538-542
- Local anaesthetic nerve block for pain management in labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; : CD009200
- The anatomical distribution of the pudendal nerve block injection: a cadaveric study.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021; 27: e306-e308
- Preoperative percutaneous ilioinguinal and iliohypogastric nerve block with 0.5% bupivacaine for post-herniorrhaphy pain management in adults.Reg Anesth. 1990; 15: 130-133
- Blockade of peripheral neuronal barrage reduces postoperative pain.Pain. 1997; 70: 209-215
- Postoperative pain after inguinal herniorrhaphy with different types of anesthesia.Anesth Analg. 1990; 70: 29-35
- Evidence for a central component of post-injury pain hypersensitivity.Nature. 1983; 306: 686-688
- Preemptive analgesia--treating postoperative pain by preventing the establishment of central sensitization.Anesth Analg. 1993; 77: 362-379
- Comparative perioperative pain and recovery in women undergoing vaginal reconstruction versus robotic sacrocolpopexy.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2017; 23: 95-100
- EXPAREL is a cost-effective option for postsurgical pain management in the hospital and ambulatory (outpatient) settings.Non-Opioid Exparel. 2021; (Available at:) (Accessed Aug. 8, 2021)
- The effect of a scheduled regimen of acetaminophen and ibuprofen on opioid use following cesarean delivery.J Perinat Med. 2020; 48: 153-156
- Ultrasound-guided pudendal nerve block in patients undergoing open hemorrhoidectomy: a double-blind randomized controlled trial.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2020; 35: 1741-1747
- The role of pudendal nerve block in colorectal surgery: a systematic review.J Invest Surg. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
C.M.V. is on the medical advisory board for the Patty Brisben Foundation. The remaining authors report no conflict of interest.
The views expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the US Air Force, US Army, the Department of Defense, or the US Government.
This research received no outside funding.
Clinical trial registration number: NCT04032327; date of registration: March 27, 2018; date of initial participant enrollment: July 1, 2018; available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04032327.
Cite this article as: Dengler KL, Craig ER, DiCarlo-Meacham AM, et al. Preoperative pudendal block with liposomal and plain bupivacaine reduces pain associated with posterior colporrhaphy: a double-blinded, randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:556.e1-10.