Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Attributes of successfully matched versus unmatched obstetrics and gynecology fellowship applicants.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 567.e1-567.e8
- Results of the 2018 NRMP Program Director Survey. 2018.(Available at:)https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/NRMP-2018-Program-Director-Survey-for-WWW.pdfDate accessed: May 23, 2020
- Gender and racial bias in radiology residency letters of recommendation.J Am Coll Radiol. 2020; 17: 64-71
- Influence of gender on surgical residency applicants’ recommendation letters.J Am Coll Surg. 2019; 04: 356-365.e3
- Association of American.Medical Colleges Physician specialty data report 2019. 2019; (Available at:) (Accessed Sept. 16, 2021)https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/workforce/interactive-data/active-physicians-sex-and-specialty-2019
- Gender bias in nurse evaluations of residents in obstetrics and gynecology.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 7S-12
- Gender differences in scholarly productivity within academic gynecologic oncology departments.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 1279-1284
- Comparison of women in department leadership in obstetrics and gynecology with those in other specialties.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 442-447
- Racial disparities in medical student membership in the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 659-665
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) Statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Int J Surg. 2014; 12: 1495-1499
- Underrepresented in medicine definition. 2004.(Available at:)https://www.aamc.org/what-we-do/equity-diversity-inclusion/underrepresented-in-medicineDate accessed: August 5, 2021
- Gender and letters of recommendation: a linguistic comparison of the impact of gender on general surgery residency applicants✰.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: 899-905
- Gender-based differences in letters of recommendation written for ophthalmology residency applicants.BMC Med Educ. 2019; 19: 476
- When small words foretell academic success: the case of college admissions essays.PLoS One. 2014; 9e115844
- Pronoun use reflects standings in social hierarchies.J Lang Soc Psychol. 2014; 33: 125-143
- Lying words: predicting deception from linguistic styles.Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2003; 29: 665-675
- Linguistic markers of psychological change surrounding September 11, 2001.Psychol Sci. 2004; 15: 687-693
- Differences in words used to describe racial and gender groups in Medical Student Performance Evaluations.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0181659
- Are there gender-based differences in language in letters of recommendation to an Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Program?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020; 478: 1400-1408
- The presence of gender bias in letters of recommendations written for urology residency applicants.Urology. 2019; 134: 56-61
- Letters of recommendation to an otolaryngology/head and neck surgery residency program: their function and the role of gender.Laryngoscope. 2008; 118: 1335-1344
- Race- and gender-based differences in descriptions of applicants in the letters of recommendation for orthopaedic surgery residency.JB JS Open Access. 2020; 5: e20.00023
- Physician specialty data report. 2021.(Available at:)https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/workforce/report/physician-specialty-data-reportDate accessed: August 5, 2021
- Linguistic analysis of letters of recommendation for vascular surgery and obstetrics and gynecology applicants detects differences in attributable strengths based on gender.J Surg Educ. 2021; 78: 1535-1543
- Use of standardized letters of recommendation for otolaryngology head and neck surgery residency and the impact of gender.Laryngoscope. 2017; 127: 2738-2745
- Differences in narrative language in evaluations of medical students by gender and under-represented minority status.J Gen Intern Med. 2019; 34: 684-691
- Gendered differences in letters of recommendation for transplant surgery fellowship applicants.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: 427-432
- Prevalence and nature of sexist and racial/ethnic microaggressions Against surgeons and anesthesiologists.JAMA Surg. 2021; 156e210265
- How small differences in assessed clinical performance amplify to large differences in grades and awards: a cascade with serious consequences for students underrepresented in medicine.Acad Med. 2018; 93: 1286-1292
- Intersectionality of gender and visible minority status among general surgery residents in Canada.JAMA Surg. 2020; 155e202828
K.K. was on the strategic advisory board for Boston Scientific and serves as an expert witness for Ethicon. M.G.M. serves as an expert witness for Ethicon. The remaining authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was supported by a grant from the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Biostatistical Collaboration Center , Northwestern University . The funding source did not have any role in the study design; collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; writing of the report; or decision to submit this article for publication.
Cite this article as: Brown O, Mou T, Lim SI, et al. Do gender and racial differences exist in letters of recommendation for obstetrics and gynecology residency applicants? Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:554.e1-11.