Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Despite adequate training, only half of family physicians provide women’s health care services.J Am Board Fam Med. 2020; 33: 186-188
- Projections of supply and demand for women’s health service providers: 2018–2021. 2021.(Available at:)https://bhw.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/bureau-health-workforce/data-research/projections-supply-demand-2018-2030.pdf(Accessed Sept. 8, 2021)
- The impact of burnout on the obstetrics and gynecology workforce.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 62: 444-454
- Obstetrician-gynecologists and contraception: long-acting reversible contraception practices and education.Contraception. 2014; 89: 578-583
- US family physicians’ intrauterine and implantable contraception provision: results from a national survey.Contraception. 2016; 93: 432-437
- Access barriers to long-acting reversible contraceptives for adolescents.J Adolesc Health. 2016; 59: 248-253
- Who enrolls in Medicaid & CHIP? Medicaid. 2020.(Available at:)Accessed Sept. 8, 2021)
- Physician acceptance of new Medicaid patients. Medicaid and CHIP payment and access commission. 2019.(Available at:)Accessed Sept. 8, 2021)
- Contraceptive services After Medicaid expansion in a state with a Medicaid family planning waiver program.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2021; 30: 750-757
- LRx Prescription claims data. 2019.(Available at:)https://www.iqvia.com/locations/united-states/solutions/life-sciences/information-solutions/essential-information/prescription-information(Accessed Sept. 8, 2021)
- Dx Pre-adjudicated medical claims data. 2019.(Available at:)https://www.iqvia.com/locations/united-states/solutions/life-sciences/information-solutions/essential-information/real-world-data(Accessed Sept. 8, 2021)
- OneKey web. 2019.(Available at:)https://www.iqvia.com/locations/united-states/solutions/life-sciences/information-solutions/essential-information/onekey-reference-assets/onekey-web(Accessed Sept. 8, 2021)
- National plan and provider enumeration system data dissemination. 2020.(Available at:)Accessed Sept. 8, 2021)
US Census Bureau; American Community Survey, 2018. 5-year sample. Available at: https://www.census.gov/data/developers/data-sets/acs-5year.html. Accessed Sept. 8, 2021.
- Projections of supply and demand for women’s health service providers: 2018–2030. 2021.(Available at:)https://bhw.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/bureau-health-workforce/data-research/projections-supply-demand-2018-2030.pdf(Accessed Sept. 8, 2021)
- Comparison of contraceptive choices of rural and urban US adults aged 18–55 years: an analysis of 2004 behavioral risk factor surveillance survey data.Rural Remote Health. 2009; 9: 1186
- Contraceptive method use by rural-urban residence among women and men in the United States, 2006 to 2017.Womens Health Issues. 2021; 31: 277-285
- Urban-rural differences in attitudes and practices toward long-acting reversible contraceptives among family planning providers in Texas.Womens Health Issues. 2012; 22: e157-e162
- Health care providers’ knowledge about contraceptive evidence: a barrier to quality family planning care?.Contraception. 2010; 81: 292-298
- Long acting contraception provision by rural primary care physicians.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2014; 23: 519-524
- Familiarity with long-acting reversible contraceptives among obstetrics and gynecology, family medicine, and pediatrics residents: results of a 2015 national survey and implications for contraceptive provision for adolescents.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2018; 31: 40-44
- Counseling and provision of long-acting reversible contraception in the US: national survey of nurse practitioners.Prev Med. 2013; 57: 883-888
- Provision of immediate postpartum long-acting reversible contraceptives before and after Wisconsin Medicaid’s payment change.Womens Health Issues. 2021; 31: 317-323
- NHSC substance use disorder workforce loan repayment program. 2021.(Available at:)https://nhsc.hrsa.gov/loan-repayment/nhsc-sud-workforce-loan-repayment-program.htmlDate accessed: August 4, 2021
- Declines in unintended pregnancy in the United States, 2008–2011.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 843-852
- Pregnancy and childbirth. Healthy People 2030. 2020.(Available at:)Accessed Sept. 8, 2021)
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This research was funded by a private foundation that wishes to remain anonymous. The funder was not involved in the study design; collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; writing of the report; or decision to submit the article for publication.
Cite this article as: Chen C, Strasser J, Banawa R, et al. Who is providing contraception care in the United States? An observational study of the contraception workforce. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2022;226:232.e1-11.