Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Epidemiology of urinary tract infections: incidence, morbidity, and economic costs.Am J Med. 2002; 113: 5S-13S
- Urinary tract infection syndromes: occurrence, recurrence, bacteriology, risk factors, and disease burden.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2014; 28: 1-13
- Ambulatory medical care utilization estimates for 2007.Vital Health Stat 13. 2011; 169: 1-38
- The increase in hospitalizations for urinary tract infections and the associated costs in the United States, 1998-2011.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017; 4: ofw281
- Nonantibiotic prophylaxis for recurrent urinary tract infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.J Urol. 2013; 190: 1981-1989
- Symptomatic treatment of uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections in the ambulatory setting: randomised, double blind trial.BMJ. 2017; 359: j4784
- The diagnosis of urinary tract infection: a systematic review.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2010; 107: 361-367
- Antimicrobial resistance. WHO Fact sheets.(Available at:)Accessed March 1, 2020)
- Clinical and bacteriological outcome of different doses and duration of pivmecillinam compared with placebo therapy of uncomplicated lower urinary tract infection in women: the LUTIW project.Scan J Prim Health Care. 2007; 25: 49-57
- Randomised controlled trial of nitrofurantoin versus placebo in the treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infection in adult women.Br J Gen Pract. 2002; 52: 729-734
- Healthcare blue book.(Available at:)https://healthcarebluebook.com/Date: 2020Date accessed: March 2, 2020
- The hidden societal cost of antibiotic resistance per antibiotic prescribed in the United States: an exploratory analysis.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 655
- Enumerating the economic cost of antimicrobial resistance per antibiotic consumed to inform the evaluation of interventions affecting their use.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018; 7: 98
- GoodRx, Inc.(Available at:)https://www.goodrx.com/Date: 2018Date accessed: May 3, 2018
- United States average hourly wages.(Available at:)https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/wagesDate: 2020Date accessed: October 12, 2020
- Estimate your healthcare expenses.(Available at:)https://fairhealthconsumer.org/Date: 2020Date accessed: August 2, 2020
- Estimated clinical and economic impact through use of a novel blood collection device to reduce blood culture contamination in the emergency department: a cost-benefit analysis.J Clin Microbiol. 2019; 57: e01015-e01018
- Systematic review of the impact of urinary tract infections on health-related quality of life.BJU Int. 2012; 110: E830-E836
TreeAge Pro 2020, R2. TreeAge Software, Williamstown, MA. Available at: http://www.treeage.com. Accessed August 27, 2021.
- Management of urinary tract infection in general practice: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Br J Gen Pract. 2000; 50: 635-639
- Evaluation of suspected urinary tract infection in ambulatory women: a cost-utility analysis of office-based strategies.J Fam Pract. 1997; 44: 49-60
- Clinical practice. Acute uncomplicated urinary tract infection in women.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 259-266
- Cost-effectiveness of antibiotic treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infection in women: a comparison of four antibiotics.BJGP Open. 2017; 1bjgpopen17X101097
- Cost effectiveness of management strategies for urinary tract infections: results from randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2010; 340: c346
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The authors report no funding sources.
Cite this article as: Wang R, LaSala C. Role of antibiotic resistance in urinary tract infection management: a cost-effectiveness analysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:550.e1-10.