Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- America’s most comprehensive birth center resource. 2021.(Available at:)https://www.birthcenters.org/page/bce_what_is_a_bcDate accessed: May 24, 2021
- Levels of maternal care: Obstetric Care Consensus No, 9.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134: e41-e55
National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine; Health and Medicine Division; Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education; Board on Children, Youth, and Families; Committee on Assessing Health Outcomes by Birth Settings. Birth settings in America: outcomes, quality, access, and choice. Backes EP, Scrimshaw SC, editors. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2020.
- Committee Opinion No. 697: planned home birth.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: e117-e122
- Recommendations to the governor to promote increased choice and access to safe maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic.(Available at:)https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/042920_CMTF_Recommendations.pdfDate: 2020Date accessed: May 20, 2021
- National Vital Statistics System: birth data.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/births.htmDate: 2021Date accessed: May 20, 2021
- Early and total neonatal mortality in relation to birth setting in the United States, 2006-2009.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 390.e1-390.e7
- Planned out-of-hospital birth and birth outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2642-2653
- Apgar score of 0 at 5 minutes and neonatal seizures or serious neurologic dysfunction in relation to birth setting.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 209: 323.e1-323.e6
- AABC statement on neonatal mortality in birth centers.(Available at:)https://www.birthcenters.org/news/564592/AABC-Statement-on-Neonatal-Mortality-in-Birth-Centers.htmDate: 2021Date accessed: May 2, 2021
- Early and total neonatal mortality in relation to birth setting in the United States, 2006-2009.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: 250
- Outcomes of care in birth centers. the National Birth Center Study.N Engl J Med. 1989; 321: 1804-1811
- Outcomes of care in birth centers: demonstration of a durable model.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2013; 58: 3-14
- Professional ethics in obstetrics and gynecology.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, MA2020
- Perinatal and maternal complications related to postterm delivery: a national register-based study, 1978-1993.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189: 222-227
- Maternal and obstetric complications of pregnancy are associated with increasing gestational age at term.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196: 155.e1-155.e6
- Elective induction of labor at 39 weeks compared with expectant management: a meta-analysis of cohort studies.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221: 304-310
- Labor Induction versus Expectant Management in Low-Risk Nulliparous Women.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 513-523
- The impact of induction of labor at 39 weeks in low-risk women on the incidence of stillbirth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 222: 88-90
- Neonatal outcomes in the birth center setting: a systematic review.J Midwifery Womens Health. 2018; 63: 68-89
- Timing of induction for term prelabor rupture of membranes and intravenous antibiotics.Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2021; 3: 100245
- Management of clinical chorioamnionitis: an evidence-based approach.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 223: 848-869
- Transfer to hospital in planned home births: a systematic review.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014; 14: 179
- Duration and urgency of transfer in births planned at home and in freestanding midwifery units in England: secondary analysis of the birthplace national prospective cohort study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2013; 13: 224
- US midwife-attended hospital births are increasing while physician-attended hospital births are decreasing: 2003-2018.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 223: 460-461
- Cesarean deliveries are decreasing in the United States with increased midwife deliveries.Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM. 2021; 3: 100348
- Neonatal mortality in the United States is related to location of birth (hospital versus home) rather than the type of birth attendant.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 223: 254.e1-254.e8
- Critical appraisal of the proposed defenses for planned home birth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221: 30-34
- Vaginal birth after cesarean: neonatal outcomes and United States birth setting.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 403.e1-403.e8
- Explaining the recent decrease in US infant mortality rate, 2007-2013.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 73.e1-73.e8
- Professionally responsible counseling about birth location during the COVID-19 pandemic.J Perinat Med. 2020; 48: 450-452
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study did not receive any financial support.
Cite this article as: Grünebaum A, McCullough LB, Bornstein E, et al. Neonatal outcomes of births in freestanding birth centers and hospitals in the United States, 2016–2019. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2022;226:116.e1-7.