|Adverse event or side effect||Group that received the mRNA vaccine||P value (Fisher exact test)|
|Pregnant (n1=38)||Nonpregnant (n2=991)|
|Sore arm or pain||37/38||894/991||.2517|
|Feelings of joy, relief, or gratitude||4/38||67/991||.3265|
|Brain fogging or reduced mental clarity||3/38||76/991||1|
|Decreased sleep quality||2/38||74/991||1|
|Palpitations or increased heart rate||2/38||64/991||1|
|Heat or cold intolerance||2/38||53/991||1|
|Increase in sleep||1/38||39/991||1|
|Shortness of breath||0/38||23/991||1|
|Decrease in memory||0/38||14/991||1|
|Swelling of lips or oral cavity||0/38||5/991||1|
- Characteristics of women of reproductive age with laboratory-confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection by pregnancy status–United States, January 22-June 7, 2020.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 769-775
- The coronavirus disease 2019 vaccine in pregnancy: risks, benefits, and recommendations.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 224: 484-495
- Side effects of BNT162b2 mRNA COVID-19 vaccine: a randomized, cross-sectional study with detailed self-reported symptoms from healthcare workers.Int J Infect Dis. 2021; 106: 376-381
- Non-life-threatening adverse effects with COVID-19 mRNA-1273 vaccine: a randomized, cross-sectional study on healthcare workers with detailed self-reported symptoms.J Med Virol. 2021; 93: 4420-4429
- Preliminary findings of mRNA Covid-19 vaccine safety in pregnant persons.N Engl J Med. 2021; ([Epub ahead of print])
R.A.K.K. and R.J. contributed equally.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study received no funding.
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of their institutions, pharmaceutical companies, vaccine manufacturing companies, or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institute of Health, and Department of Health and Human Services.
The approval for the parent study was obtained from the institutional review board at Cape Fear Valley Health System, Fayetteville, North Carolina.