Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Open fetal surgery for neural tube defects.Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2019; 58: 121-132
- Guideline no. 410: prevention, screening, diagnosis, and pregnancy management for fetal neural tube defects.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2021; 43: 124-139.e8
- A randomized trial of prenatal versus postnatal repair of myelomeningocele.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 993-1004
- Subsequent pregnancy outcomes after open maternal-fetal surgery for myelomeningocele.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220: 494.e1-494.e7
- Fetoscopic open neural tube defect repair: development and refinement of a two-port, carbon dioxide insufflation technique.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 734-743
- Comparison of two fetoscopic open neural tube defect repair techniques: single- vs three-layer closure.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 56: 532-540
- Endoscopic surgery for the antenatal treatment of myelomeningocele: the CECAM trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 111.e1-111.e11
- Minimally invasive fetoscopic surgery for spina bifida aperta: learning and doing.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 56: 633
- Minimally invasive fetal surgery for myelomeningocele: preliminary report from a single center.Neurosurg Focus. 2019; 47: E12
- Keeping it simple: a “two-step” approach for the fetoscopic correction of spina bifida.Surg Endosc. 2010; 24 (author reply 2642–3): 2640-2641
- Percutaneous fetoscopic patch closure of human spina bifida aperta: advances in fetal surgical techniques may obviate the need for early postnatal neurosurgical intervention.Surg Endosc. 2009; 23: 890-895
- Improved postoperative metrics with modified myofascial closure in fetal myelomeningocele repair.Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown). 2020; 18: 158-165
- Management of labor and delivery after fetoscopic repair of an open neural tube defect.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: 1062-1068
- Manual of operations, part 2, release 23.2.(Available at:)https://vtoxford.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013115393-2019-Manual-of-Operations-Part-2-Release-23-2-PDF-(Accessed January 10, 2021)Date: 2019
- The International Classification of Retinopathy of Prematurity revisited.Arch Ophthalmol. 2005; 123: 991-999
- Committee Opinion no. 712: intrapartum management of intraamniotic fnfection.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: e95-e101
- Lower extremity neuromotor function and short-term ambulatory potential following in utero myelomeningocele surgery.Fetal Diagn Ther. 2009; 25: 47-53
- A new look at myelomeningoceles: functional level, vertebral level, shunting, and the implications for fetal intervention.Pediatrics. 2002; 109: 409-413
- PediTools Electronic Growth Chart Calculators: applications in clinical care, research, and quality improvement.J Med Internet Res. 2020; 22: e16204
- A solution to minimum sample size for regressions.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0229345
- Comparison of brain microstructure after prenatal spina bifida repair by either laparotomy-assisted fetoscopic or open approach.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 55: 87-95
- Does fetoscopic or open repair for spina bifida affect fetal and postnatal growth?.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 53: 314-323
- Pregnancy after classic cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 100: 946-950
- Pregnancy outcomes of induced labor in women with previous cesarean section: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2015; 291: 273-280
- The timing of elective caesarean deliveries and early neonatal outcomes in singleton infants born 37-41 weeks’ gestation.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2014; 54: 340-347
- Early term delivery is associated with increased neonatal respiratory morbidity.Pediatr Int. 2021; 63: 60-64
- Respiratory distress syndrome in moderately late and late preterm infants and risk of cerebral palsy: a population-based cohort study.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e011643
- Respiratory distress syndrome in preterm infants and risk of epilepsy in a Danish cohort.Eur J Epidemiol. 2018; 33: 313-321
- Optimizing care and outcome for late-preterm (near-term) infants: a summary of the workshop sponsored by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 1207-1214
- The “late preterm” birth-ten years later.Pediatrics. 2017; 139e20163331
- School-age outcomes of late preterm infants in New York City.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 206: 222-226
- Late preterm birth: can be reduced.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: 459-460
- Differences in mortality between late-preterm and term singleton infants in the United States, 1995-2002.J Pediatr. 2007; 151 (456.e1): 450-456
- Neonatal mortality and morbidity rates in late preterm births compared with births at term.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 111: 35-41
- A systematic review of severe morbidity in infants born late preterm.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205: 374-379
- Characterizing risk profiles of infants who are delivered at late preterm gestations: does it matter?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 329-331
- Adverse neonatal outcomes: examining the risks between preterm, late preterm, and term infants.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 367-368
- Nonspontaneous late preterm birth: etiology and outcomes.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205: 456.e1-456.e6
- An economic analysis of prenatal fetoscopic versus open neural tube defect repair.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2020; ([Epub ahead of print])
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study received ethics approval from the Baylor College of Medicine Review Board for fetoscopic meningomyelocele closure procedures (number: H-34680) and for data review of the open hysterotomy meningomyelocele closure cases (number H-38479).
This study was supported by grants from the Sterling-Turner Foundation , the John M. O’Quinn Foundation, the Fondren Foundation, and the Tramuto Foundation.
The sponsors did not participate in the study design; collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; writing of the report; or decision to submit the article for publication.
Cite this article as: Espinoza J, Shamshirsaz AA, Sanz Cortes M, et al. Two-port, exteriorized uterus, fetoscopic meningomyelocele closure has fewer adverse neonatal outcomes than open hysterotomy closure. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:327.e1-9.