Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- What is the placenta?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213 (S6.e1, S6–8)
- Placenta accreta spectrum.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 1529-1536
- Placenta accreta spectrum.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 219: B2-B16
- A new methodologic approach for clinico-pathologic correlations in invasive placenta previa accreta.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 222: 379.e1-379.e11
- Conservative management of placenta percreta.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2018; 140: 299-306
- Management of placenta accreta.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2013; 92: 1125-1134
- Implementation of multidisciplinary practice change to improve outcomes for women with placenta accreta spectrum.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2020; 246: 194-196
- Obstetric Care Consensus No. 7: placenta accreta spectrum.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: e259-e275
- Placenta praevia and placenta accreta: diagnosis and management: Green-Top Guideline No. 27a.BJOG. 2019; 126: e1-e48
- The management of placenta percreta: conservative and operative strategies.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 175: 1632-1638
- Placenta accreta: changing clinical aspects and outcome.Obstet Gynecol. 1980; 56: 31-34
- Clinical risk factors for placenta previa-placenta accreta.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 177: 210-214
- Abnormal placentation: twenty-year analysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 192: 1458-1461
- Morbidly adherent placenta treatments and outcomes.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 683-689
- Morbidity associated with cesarean delivery in the United States: is placenta accreta an increasingly important contributor?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 384.e1-384.e11
- Abnormally invasive placenta-prevalence, risk factors and antenatal suspicion: results from a large population-based pregnancy cohort study in the Nordic countries.BJOG. 2016; 123: 1348-1355
- Cesarean section and placental disorders in subsequent pregnancies--a meta-analysis.J Perinat Med. 2014; 42: 571-583
- Massive blood transfusion in relation to delivery: incidence, trends and risk factors: a population-based cohort study.BJOG. 2019; 126: 1577-1586
- Placenta percreta is associated with more frequent severe maternal morbidity than placenta accreta.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 219: 193.e1-193.e9
- Overview of the National (Nationwide) impatient sample (NIS). 2001–2015.(Available at:)www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nisoverview.jspDate accessed: December 27, 2020
- Obstetric delivery inpatient stays involving substance use disorders and related clinical outcomes, 2016.(Available at:)https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb254-Delivery-Hospitalizations-Substance-Use-Clinical-Outcomes-2016.jsp(Accessed December 27, 2020)Date: 2019
- A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation.J Chronic Dis. 1987; 40: 373-383
- Defining adult overweight and obesity.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/defining.htmlDate accessed: December 27, 2020
- NIS description of data elements. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project.(Available at:)www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/vars/hosp_bedsize/nisnote.jspDate accessed: December 27, 2020
- Conservative surgery for ovarian torsion in young women: perioperative complications and national trends.BJOG. 2020; 127: 957-965
- National trends and outcomes of morbidly obese women who underwent inpatient hysterectomy for benign gynecological disease in the USA.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2021; 100: 459-470
- How does CDC identify severe maternal morbidity?.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/smm/severe-morbidity-ICD.htmDate: 2019Date accessed: December 27, 2020
- Joinpoint trend analysis software.(Available at:)https://surveillance.cancer.gov/joinpointDate: 2000Date accessed: December 27, 2020
- Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates.Stat Med. 2000; 19: 335-351
- Models for longitudinal data: a generalized estimating equation approach.Biometrics. 1988; 44: 1049-1060
- Outcome modelling strategies in epidemiology: traditional methods and basic alternatives.Int J Epidemiol. 2016; 45: 565-575
- Review and evaluation of penalised regression methods for risk prediction in low-dimensional data with few events.Stat Med. 2016; 35: 1159-1177
- The rapid adoption of opportunistic salpingectomy at the time of hysterectomy for benign gynecologic disease in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 223: 721.e1-721.e18
- Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.BMJ. 2007; 335: 806-808
- Maternal and neonatal outcomes following abnormally invasive placenta: a population-based record linkage study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2017; 96: 1373-1381
- Births: final data for 2018.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2019; 68: 1-47
- FIGO classification for the clinical diagnosis of placenta accreta spectrum disorders.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019; 146: 20-24
- Placenta accreta spectrum disorder: uterine dehiscence, not placental invasion.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 135: 1104-1111
- Risk factors for placenta accreta spectrum: findings from the Japan environment and children’s study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019; 19: 447
- Placenta accreta.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 430-439
- Cryopreserved embryo transfer is an independent risk factor for placenta accreta.Fertil Steril. 2015; 103: 1176-1184.e2
- Risk factors for abnormally invasive placenta: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2020; 33: 471-481
- Assisted reproductive technology surveillance—United States, 2015.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/ss/ss6703a1.htmDate: 2018Date accessed: December 27, 2020
- Placenta accreta spectrum among women with twin gestations.Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 137: 132-138
- Maternal morbidity in patients with morbidly adherent placenta treated with and without a standardized multidisciplinary approach.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: 218.e1-218.e9
- Maternal morbidity in cases of placenta accreta managed by a multidisciplinary care team compared with standard obstetric care.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 331-337
- Maternal death in the 21st century: causes, prevention, and relationship to cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 36.e1-36.e5
- NIH Consensus Development Conference on vaginal birth after cesarean: new insights.(Available at:)https://consensus.nih.gov/2010/vbacstatement.htmDate: 2010Date accessed: January 1, 2021
- Minimizing surgical blood loss at cesarean hysterectomy for placenta previa with evidence of placenta increta or placenta percreta: the state of play in 2020.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 223: 322-329
- Placenta accreta spectrum without placenta previa.Obstet Gynecol. 2020; 136: 458-465
- Influence of prenatal diagnosis of abnormally invasive placenta on maternal outcome: systematic review and meta-analysis.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 52: 304-309
- Positive predictive value of ICD-10 codes for placenta accreta syndrome: a single center validation study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021; 224: S523-S524
- Patterns of care for women with placenta accreta spectrum.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2019; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Trends in smoking before, during, and after pregnancy—pregnancy risk assessment monitoring system, United States, 40 sites, 2000–2010.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6206a1.htmDate: 2013Date accessed: January 6, 2021
- Maternal outcomes in unexpected placenta accreta spectrum disorders: single-center experience with a multidisciplinary team.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221: 337.e1-337.e5
- Center of excellence for placenta accreta.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: 561-568
S.M. and K.M. contributed equally to this work.
K.M. reports receiving honorarium from Chugai Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, S.M. reports receiving a research grant from Merck, and M.K. reports being on the advisory board of Tesaro, GlaxoSmithKline; all were outside this study. The remaining authors report no conflict of interest.
This work was supported by grants from Ensign Endowment for Gynecologic Cancer Research (K.M.). The funder had no role in the design and conduct of the study; collection, management, analysis, and interpretation of the data; preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; and decision to submit the manuscript for publication.
Ethical committee exemption: University of Southern California (HS-16-00481).
The data on which this study is based are publicly available upon request at https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov.
The manuscript’s corresponding author (K.M.) affirms that the manuscript is an honest, accurate, and transparent account of the study being reported; that no important aspects of the study have been omitted; and that any discrepancies from the study as planned (and, if relevant, registered) have been explained. The National Inpatient Sample is developed for the Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project that is sponsored by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality , and the program is the source of the deidentified data used; race or ethnicity was grouped by the program; and the program has not verified and is not responsible for the statistical validity of the data analysis or the conclusions derived by the study team.
K.M. ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6232-8701.
Cite this article as: Matsuzaki S, Mandelbaum RS, Sangara RN, et al. Trends, characteristics, and outcomes of placenta accreta spectrum: a national study in the United States. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:534.e1-38.