Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Cancer statistics, 2020.CA Cancer J Clin. 2020; 70: 7-30
- Ovarian cancer screening and mortality in the UK Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening (UKCTOCS): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 945-956
- Ovarian cancer screening with the Risk of Ovarian Cancer Algorithm (ROCA): good, bad, or just expensive?.Gynecol Oncol. 2018; 149: 117-120
- Fallopian tube removal: “stic-ing” it to ovarian cancer: what is the utility of prophylactic tubal removal?.Curr Oncol. 2013; 20: 148-151
- The origin and pathogenesis of epithelial ovarian cancer: a proposed unifying theory.Am J Surg Pathol. 2010; 34: 433-443
- Ovarian cancer risk after salpingectomy: a nationwide population-based study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015; 107: 1-6
- Ovarian function before and after salpingectomy in artificial reproductive technology patients.Hum Reprod. 2000; 15: 142-144
- Cost-effectiveness of opportunistic salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention.Gynecol Oncol. 2017; 146: 373-379
- Actuarial life table. 2016.(Available at:)https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.htmlDate accessed: October 22, 2017
National Cancer Institute. Surveillance, epidemiology, and end results program. 2017. Available at: https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/ovary.html. Accessed October 22, 2017.
- Survival rates for ovarian cancer. 2017.(Available at:)https://www.cancer.org/cancer/ovarian-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/survival-rates.htmlDate accessed: October 22, 2017
- Inpatient hysterectomy surveillance in the United States, 2000–2004.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: 34.e1-34.e7
- Trends in bilateral oophorectomy at the time of hysterectomy for benign disease.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 1280-1286
- Tubal sterilization in the United States, 1994–1996.Fam Plann Perspect. 2001; 33: 161-165
- CMS.gov physician fee schedule.(Available at:)https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/PFSlookupDate accessed: May 19, 2021
- PARP inhibitors in the management of ovarian cancer: ASCO guideline.J Clin Oncol. 2020; 38: 3468-3493
- Cost comparison of PARP inhibitors in women with ovarian cancer in the US.Healthcare Market: JNCCN. 2020; : 18
- Niraparib in patients with newly diagnosed advanced ovarian cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2391-2402
- At what cost does a potential survival advantage of bevacizumab make sense for the primary treatment of ovarian cancer? A cost-effectiveness analysis.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 1247-1251
- Olaparib plus bevacizumab as first-line maintenance in ovarian cancer.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2416-2428
- Salpingectomy for sterilization: change in practice in a large integrated health care system, 2011–2016.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 961-967
- The cost-effectiveness of opportunistic salpingectomy versus standard tubal ligation at the time of cesarean delivery for ovarian cancer risk reduction.Gynecol Oncol. 2019; 152: 127-132
- Short-term effects of salpingectomy during laparoscopic hysterectomy on ovarian reserve: a pilot randomized controlled trial.Fertil Steril. 2013; 100: 1704-1708
- Committee opinion no. 620: salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 279-281
- Success and complications of salpingectomy at the time of vaginal hysterectomy.J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2015; 22: 864-869
- Current contraceptive status among women aged 15–44: United States, 2011–2013.NCHS Data Brief. 2014; : 1-8
- Key statistics from the national survey of family growth—sterilization. percentever.(Available at:)https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nsfg/key_statistics/s.htmDate: 2017Date accessed: May 9, 2020
- Extending the safety evidence for opportunistic salpingectomy in prevention of ovarian cancer: a cohort study from British Columbia, Canada.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 219: 172.e1-172.e8
- Risk factors for regret after tubal sterilization: 5 years of follow-up in a prospective study.Fertil Steril. 1991; 55: 927-933
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Naumann RW, Hughes BN, Brown J, et al. The impact of opportunistic salpingectomy on ovarian cancer mortality and healthcare costs: a call for universal insurance coverage. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;225:397.e1-6.