Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- An evidence-based approach to determining route of delivery for twin gestations.Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 4: 109-116
- Outcomes for extremely premature infants.Anesth Analg. 2015; 120: 1337-1351
- Multiple gestations and preterm birth.Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016; 21: 113-120
- Incidence and risk factors for gestational diabetes mellitus in twin versus singleton pregnancies.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2018; 298: 579-587
- Births: final data for 2016.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2018; 67: 1-55
- Controversial issues in the management of multiple pregnancies.Twin Res. 2001; 4: 165-167
- Neonatal outcomes of twins according to birth order, presentation and mode of delivery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BJOG. 2011; 118: 523-532
- What is the safest mode of delivery for extremely preterm cephalic/non-cephalic twin pairs? A systematic review and meta-analyses.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017; 17: 397
- Neonatal morbidity associated with vaginal delivery of noncephalic second twins.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: 449.e1-449.e13
- Has use of cesarean section reduced the risks of delivery in the preterm breech presentation?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1986; 154: 244-250
- Method of delivery and intraventricular haemorrhage in extremely preterm infants.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2010; 23: 1419-1423
- Long bone fractures in extreme low birth weight infants at birth: obstetrical considerations.P R Health Sci J. 2002; 21: 253-255
- Fractures of long bones occurring in neonatal intensive therapy units.BMJ. 1990; 301: 225-226
- Twin delivery: method, timing and conduct.Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2014; 28: 327-338
- A randomized trial of planned cesarean or vaginal delivery for twin pregnancy.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1295-1305
- Mode of delivery of twin gestation with very low birthweight: is vaginal delivery safe?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 219.e1-219.e8
- Neonatal death and morbidity in vertex-nonvertex second twins according to mode of delivery and birth weight.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 192: 840-847
- Neonatal outcomes of preterm twins according to mode of birth and presentation.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2018; 31: 682-688
- Impact of cesarean section on neonatal mortality rates among very preterm infants in the United States, 2000-2003.Pediatrics. 2008; 122: 285-292
- Présentations et modes d'accouchements de 371 grossesses gémellaires [Modes of deliveries of twins as a function of their presentation. A study of 371 pregnancies].Gynecol Obstet Fertil. 2011; 39: 76-80
- Fetal lung maturation in twin gestation.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1984; 148: 405-411
- Internal audit of the Canadian Neonatal Network data collection system.Am J Perinatol. 2017; 34: 1241-1249
- Incidence and evolution of subependymal and intraventricular hemorrhage: a study of infants with birth weights less than 1,500 gm.J Pediatr. 1978; 92: 529-534
- Abnormal pulmonary outcomes in premature infants: prediction from oxygen requirement in the neonatal period.Pediatrics. 1988; 82: 527-532
- Neonatal necrotizing enterocolitis. Therapeutic decisions based upon clinical staging.Ann Surg. 1978; 187: 1-7
- A new and improved population-based Canadian reference for birth weight for gestational age.Pediatrics. 2001; 108: E35
Names of the Canadian Neonatal Network and Canadian Preterm Birth Network investigators are listed in the Acknowledgments.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The project is supported by the funding for the Canadian Preterm Birth Network from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (PBN 150642: P.I. P.S.S.). Maternal-Infant Care Research Centre at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto, Ontario, is supported by a Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Team Grant (CTP 87518), the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care , and the participating hospitals.
P.S.S. holds a CIHR Applied Research Chair in reproductive and child health services and policy research (APR-126340). S.D.M. is supported by a Tier II Canada Research Chair. N.M. holds the Waugh Family Chair in twin fetal medicine research at the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and the University of Toronto .
The funders had no roles in the study design; the collection, analysis, or interpretation of data; the writing of the report; or the decision to submit the article for publication. We confirm the independence of the study researchers from the funders; and we confirm that all authors, external and internal, had full access to all the data in the study (including statistical reports and tables) and can take responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the analysis.
All authors approve of the version of this article as submitted and all agree to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to its accuracy or integrity are appropriately resolved.
The guarantor (N.M.) accepts full responsibility for the work and the conduct of the study, had access to the data, and controlled the decision to publish. The corresponding author (L.H.) attests that all listed authors meet authorship criteria and that no others meeting the criteria have been omitted.
The relevant anonymized study data are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.
The corresponding author (L.H.) and guarantor (N.M.) affirm that the article is an honest, accurate, and transparent account of the study being reported; that no important aspects of the study have been omitted; and that any discrepancies from the study as originally planned have been explained.
Cite this article as: Hiersch L, Shah PS, Khurshid F, et al. Mode of delivery and neonatal outcomes in extremely preterm Vertex/nonVertex twins. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;224:613.e1-10.