Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Maternal mortality from preeclampsia/eclampsia.Semin Perinatol. 2012; 36: 56-59
- Recent trends in the prevalence of low-dose aspirin use for primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease in the United States, 2012-2015.Prev Med Rep. 2016; 5: 183-186
- Aspirin for the treatment of recurrent toxaemia.Lancet. 1978; 2: 51
- Aspirin versus placebo in pregnancies at high risk for preterm preeclampsia.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 613-622
- Fetal Medicine Foundation Second Trimester Screening Group. Randomized controlled trial using low-dose aspirin in the prevention of pre-eclampsia in women with abnormal uterine artery Doppler at 23 weeks’ gestation.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 22: 233-239
- Prevention of preeclampsia and intrauterine growth restriction with aspirin started in early pregnancy: a meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 402-414
- The role of aspirin dose on the prevention of preeclampsia and fetal growth restriction: systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 110-120.e6
- CLASP (Collaborative Low-dose Aspirin Study in Pregnancy) Collaborative Group.Lancet. 1994; 343: 619-629
- Hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: ISSHP classification, diagnosis, and management recommendations for international practice.Hypertension. 2018; 72: 24-43
- Low-dose aspirin use for the prevention of morbidity and mortality from preeclampsia: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 819-826
- Management of hypertensive disorders during pregnancy: summary of NICE guidance.BMJ. 2010; 341: c2207
- The International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics (FIGO) initiative on pre-eclampsia: a pragmatic guide for first-trimester screening and prevention.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019; 145: 1-33
- SOMANZ guidelines for the management of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy 2014.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2015; 55: e1-e29
- The classification, diagnosis and management of the hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: a revised statement from the ISSHP.Pregnancy Hypertens. 2014; 4: 97-104
- Preeclampsia prevention using routine versus screening test-indicated aspirin in low-risk women.Hypertension. 2018; 72: 1391-1396
- Trial of feasibility and acceptability of routine low-dose aspirin versus Early Screening Test indicated aspirin for pre-eclampsia prevention (TEST study): a multicentre randomised controlled trial.BMJ Open. 2018; 8e022056
- Should we recommend universal aspirin for all pregnant women?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 141.e1-141.e5
- Strategies for prescribing aspirin to prevent preeclampsia: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 134: 537-544
- Low-dose aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in Japanese patients 60 years or older with atherosclerotic risk factors: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2510-2520
- Use of aspirin to reduce risk of initial vascular events in patients at moderate risk of cardiovascular disease (ARRIVE): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2018; 392: 1036-1046
- Effects of aspirin for primary prevention in persons with diabetes mellitus.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1529-1539
- Effect of aspirin on cardiovascular events and bleeding in the healthy elderly.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1509-1518
- Association of aspirin use for primary prevention with cardiovascular events and bleeding events: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA. 2019; 321: 277-287
- Efficacy and safety of aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events: a meta-analysis and trial sequential analysis of randomized controlled trials.Eur Heart J. 2019; 40: 607-617
- The Swedish Pregnancy Register—for quality of care improvement and research.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2018; 97: 466-476
- Development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT): WHO collaborative project on early detection of persons with harmful alcohol consumption–II.Addiction. 1993; 88: 791-804
- Introduction to propensity scores.Respirology. 2014; 19: 625-635
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424
- Antiplatelet agents for preventing pre-eclampsia and its complications.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 2019: CD004659
- Antiplatelet agents for prevention of pre-eclampsia: a meta-analysis of individual patient data.Lancet. 2007; 369: 1791-1798
- Age-specific risks, severity, time course, and outcome of bleeding on long-term antiplatelet treatment after vascular events: a population-based cohort study.Lancet. 2017; 390: 490-499
- Association of aspirin use with major bleeding in patients with and without diabetes.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2286-2294
- Neonatal intracranial hemorrhage and maternal use of aspirin.Obstet Gynecol. 1981; 58: 52S-56S
- The risks and benefits of taking aspirin during pregnancy.Epidemiol Rev. 1990; 12: 108-148
- Antiplatelet agents for preventing pre-eclampsia and its complications.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; : CD004659
- Latest advances in understanding preeclampsia.Science. 2005; 308: 1592-1594
- Low-dose aspirin in the prevention of preeclampsia and fetal growth retardation: rationale, mechanisms, and clinical trials.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 168: 214-227
- Drug use during pregnancy in Sweden - assessed by the Prescribed Drug Register and the Medical Birth Register.Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 3: 43-50
- Global and regional estimates of preeclampsia and eclampsia: a systematic review.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2013; 170: 1-7
Drs Hastie and Tong contributed equally to this work and are considered co-first authors.
Drs Hesselman and Bergman contributed equally to this work and are considered co-senior authors.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was approved by the Uppsala Ethics Board on August 15, 2018 (approval number: 2018/287).
The National Health and Medical Research Council of Australia provided salary support to R.H. (#1176922) and S.T. (#1136418). The Center for Clinical Research provided salary support to S.H. (#CKFUU744551) and L.B. (#CKFUU740361).
Cite this article as: Hastie R, Tong S, Wikström AK, et al. Aspirin use during pregnancy and the risk of bleeding complications: a Swedish population-based cohort study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;224:95.e1-12.