Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Levels and trends in child mortality report 2019: estimates developed by the UN Inter-Agency Group for Child Mortality Estimation.United Nations Children’s Fund, New York2019
- Describing the increase in preterm births in the United States, 2014-2016.NCHS Data Brief. 2018; 312: 1-8
- Maternal characteristics and cervical length in the prediction of spontaneous early preterm delivery in twins.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 194: 1360-1365
- Progesterone and the risk of preterm birth among women with a short cervix.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 462-469
- Vaginal progesterone reduces the rate of preterm birth in women with a sonographic short cervix: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 38: 18-31
- Vaginal progesterone for preventing preterm birth and adverse perinatal outcomes in singleton gestations with a short cervix: a meta-analysis of individual patient data.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: 161-180
- Progestogens for preterm birth prevention: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 897-907
- Progesterone for the prevention of preterm birth in twin pregnancy (STOPPIT): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study and meta-analysis.Lancet. 2009; 373: 2034-2040
- Prevention of preterm delivery in twin gestations (PREDICT): a multicenter, randomized, placebo-controlled trial on the effect of vaginal micronized progesterone.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 38: 272-280
- Vaginal progesterone to prevent preterm birth in multiple pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial.J Perinat Med. 2012; 40: 593-599
- Increased doses of vaginal progesterone for the prevention of preterm birth in twin pregnancies: a randomised controlled double-blind multicentre trial.BJOG. 2013; 120: 50-57
- Vaginal progesterone for the prevention of preterm birth in twin gestations: a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 82.e1-82.e9
- Vaginal progesterone for prevention of preterm delivery in women with twin pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial.Facts Views Vis Obgyn. 2018; 10: 93-98
- Effectiveness of progestogens to improve perinatal outcome in twin pregnancies: an individual participant data meta-analysis.BJOG. 2015; 122: 27-37
- Prediction of spontaneous preterm delivery from endocervical length at 11 to 13 weeks.Prenat Diagn. 2011; 31: 84-89
- Fetal Medicine Foundation fetal and neonatal population weight charts.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 52: 44-51
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2011 (Available at:)Accessed January 6, 2020)
- Fitting linear mixed-effects models using lme4.J Stat Softw. 2015; 67: 1-48
- A package for survival analysis in S. version 3.2-3.(Available at:)https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=survivalDate: 2015Date accessed: January 6, 2020
- Mixed effects Cox models. R package version 2.2-16.(Available at:)https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=coxmeDate: 2019Date accessed: January 6, 2020
- psych: procedures for psychological, psychometric, and personality research.(Available at:)https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=psychDate: 2017Date accessed: January 6, 2020
- Progesterone is not the same as 17α-hydroxyprogesterone caproate: implications for obstetrical practice.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 208: 421-426
- Is 17α-hydroxyprogesterone caproate contraindicated in twin gestations?.BJOG. 2015; 122: 6-7
- Vaginal progesterone decreases preterm birth and neonatal morbidity and mortality in women with a twin gestation and a short cervix: an updated meta-analysis of individual patient data.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 49: 303-314
- Aspirin delays the development of preeclampsia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 220: 580.e1-580.e6
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The study was supported by a grant from the Fetal Medicine Foundation (Charity no: 1037116). The placebo and progesterone capsules were manufactured, packaged, labeled, stored, and distributed free of charge by Besins Healthcare, Brussels, Belgium. These bodies had no involvement in the study design; in the collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; in the preparation, review, or approval of the manuscript; and in the decision to submit the article for publication.
The trial is registered in the European Union Drug Regulating Authorities Clinical Trials database (EudraCT number 2015-005180-16) and with ISRCTN (ISRCTN66445401).
Cite this article as: Rehal A, Benkő Z, De Paco Matallana C, et al. Early vaginal progesterone versus placebo in twin pregnancies for the prevention of spontaneous preterm birth: a randomized, double-blind trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021;224:86.e1-19.