Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Prevalence of symptoms consistent with a diagnosis of vulvodynia: population-based estimates from 2 geographic regions.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; : 21040.e1-21040.e8
- Assessment of vulvodynia symptoms in a sample of US women: a prevalence survey with a nested case control study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196: 128.e1-128.e6
- Vulvodynia: definition, prevalence, impact and pathophysiological factors.Sexual Medicine. 2016; 13: 291-304
- Vulvodynia: what we know and where we should be going.J Lower Gen Tract Dis. 2017; 21: 1-7
- Elevated tissue levels of interleukin-1 beta and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in vulvar vestibulitis.Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 89: 291-296
- Interleukin-1β gene polymorphism in women with vulvar vestibulitis syndrome.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2003; 107: 74-77
- Allergic reactions and risk of vulvodynia.Ann Epidemiol. 2009; 19: 771-777
- Recurrent yeast infections and vulvodynia: can we believe associations based on self-reported data?.J Womens Health. 2017; 26: 1069-1076
- In vivo microbiome and associated immune markers: New insights into the pathogenesis of vaginal dysbiosis.Sci Rep. 2018; 8: 2307
- Lactobacillus-deficient cervicovaginal bacterial communities are associated with increased HIV acquisition in young South African women.Immunity. 2017; 46: 29-37
- The bacterial microbiome in paired vaginal and vestibular samples from women with vulvar vestibulitis syndrome.Pathogens Dis. 2014; 72: 161-166
- Vulvovestibular syndrome and vaginal microbiome: a simple evaluation.J Clin Med Res. 2018; 10: 688-692
- ISSVD, ISSWSH, and IPPS consensus terminology and classification of persistent vulvar pain and vulvodynia.J Lower Gen Tract Dis. 2016; 20: 1-5
- Development of a dual-index sequencing strategy and curation pipeline for analyzing amplicon sequence data on the MiSeq Illumina sequencing platform.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013; 79: 5112-5120
- Minimum entropy decomposition: unsupervised oligotyping for sensitive partitioning of high-throughput marker gene sequences.ISME J. 2015; 9: 968-979
- Oligotyping: differentiating between closely related microbial taxa using 16S rRNA gene data.Methods Ecol Evol. 2013; 4: 1111-1119
- DADA2: high-resolution sample inference from Illumina amplicon data.Nat Methods. 2016; 13: 581-583
- Dirichlet multinomial mixtures: generative models for microbial metagenomics.PloS One. 2012; 7e30126
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2017 (Available at:)
- DirichletMultinomial: Dirichlet-Multinomial Mixture Model Machine Learning for Microbiome Data. Buffalo, NY: R package version 1.28.0;.2019
- Analysis of matched case control studies.Br Med J. 2016; 352: i969
- ANOVA-like differential gene expression analysis of single-organism and Meta-RNA-Seq.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e67019
- Ecological dynamics of the vaginal microbiome in relation to health and disease.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; : 324-335
- Molecular identification of bacteria associated with bacterial vaginosis.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 1899-1911
- Association of the vaginal microbiota with human papillomavirus infection in a Korean twin cohort.PLoS One. 2013; 8e63514
- Lactobacillus-dominated cervicovaginal microbiota associated with reduced HIV/STI prevalence and genital HIV viral load in African women.ISME J. 2014; 8: 1781-1793
- Vaginal microbiome and its relationship to behavior, sexual health, and sexually transmitted diseases.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 643-654
- Diversity is the question, not the answer.ISME J. 2017; 11: 1-6
- The vaginal microbiome during pregnancy and the postpartum period in a European population.Sci Rep. 2015; 5: 8988
- Recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 15-21
- Vulvovaginal candidiasis: epidemiology, microbiology and risk factors.Crit Rev Microbiol. 2016; 42: 905-927
- Population cycles and species diversity in dynamic Kill-the-Winner model of microbial ecosystems.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 39642
- Vaginal microbiome of reproductive-age women.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2011; 108: 4680-4687
This study was supported by the National Vulvodynia Association and National Institutes of Health–Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development grant R01 HD058608.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Bedford L, Parker SE, Davis E, et al. Characteristics of the vaginal microbiome in women with and without clinically confirmed vulvodynia. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2020;223:406.e1-16.