Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- State law approaches to facility regulation of abortion and other office interventions.Am J Public Health. 2018; 108: 486-492
- Association of facility type with procedural-related morbidities and adverse events among patients undergoing induced abortions.JAMA. 2018; 319: 2497-2506
- Mortality of induced abortion, other outpatient surgical procedures and common activities in the United States.Contraception. 2014; 90: 476-479
- Early surgical abortion: efficacy and safety.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 187: 407-411
- Engineering, and Medicine. The safety and quality of abortion care in the United States.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2018
- Complications from first-trimester aspiration abortion: a systematic review of the literature.Contraception. 2015; 92: 422-438
- The effect of facility characteristics on patient safety, patient experience, and service availability for procedures in non-hospital-affiliated outpatient settings: a systematic review.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0190975
- Legal barriers to second-trimester abortion provision and public health consequences.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 623
- Out-of-pocket costs and insurance coverage for abortion in the United States.Womens Health Issues. 2014; 24: e211-e218
- Patient costs for medication abortion: results from a study of five clinical practices.Womens Health Issues. 2006; 16: 4-13
- Characteristics of U.S. abortion patients in 2014 and changes since 2008.Guttmacher Institute. 2016. 2016; (Available at:)https://www.guttmacher.org/report/characteristics-us-abortion-patients-2014Date accessed: October 26, 2019
- At what cost? Payment for abortion care by U.S. women.Womens Health Issues. 2013; 23: e173-e178
- Regulating abortion: impact on patients and providers in Texas.J Policy Anal Manag. 2011; 30: 775-797
- The costs and cost effectiveness of providing first-trimester, medical and surgical safe abortion services in KwaZulu-Natal Province, South Africa.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0174615
- Access, equity and costs of induced abortion services in Australia: a cross-sectional study.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2017; 41: 309-314
- The true cost differential between mifepristone and misoprostol and misoprostol-alone regimens for medical abortion.Contraception. 2005; 71: 26-30
- Medical abortion provided by nurse-midwives or physicians in a high resource setting: a cost-effectiveness analysis.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0158645
- Provider practice models for and costs of delivering medication abortion–evidence from 11 US abortion care settings.Contraception. 2007; 75: 45-51
- The Truven Health MarketScan databases for health services researchers. 2017.(Available at:)https://truvenhealth.com/portals/0/assets/2017_MarketScan_Databases_Health_Services_Researchers.pdfDate accessed: August 27, 2019
- Using insurance claims data to identify and estimate critical periods in pregnancy: an application to antidepressants.Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2016; 106: 927-934
- Inferring pregnancy episodes and outcomes within a network of observational databases.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0192033
- Comparison of complications, trends, and costs in endoscopic vs microscopic pituitary surgery: analysis from a US health claims database.Neurosurgery. 2017; 81: 458-472
- Miscarriage treatment-related morbidities and adverse events in hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and office-based settings.J Patient Saf. 2018 Dec 3; (https://doi.org/10.1097/PTS.0000000000000553. [Epub ahead of print])
- The cost of unintended pregnancies for employer-sponsored health insurance plans.Am Health Drug Benefits. 2015; 8: 83-92
- Standardizing the classification of abortion incidents: the Procedural Abortion Incident Reporting and Surveillance (PAIRS) Framework.Contraception. 2017; 96: 1-13
- Introduction to robust estimation and hypothesis testing.3rd ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA2012
- Much ado about two: reconsidering retransformation and the two-part model in health econometrics.J Health Econ. 1998; 17: 247-281
- Induced abortion in the United States. 2018.(Available at:)https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/induced-abortion-united-statesDate accessed: February 6, 2019
- Abortion incidence and service availability in the United States, 2014.Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2017; 49: 17-27
National Network of Abortion Funds. Available at: abortionfunds.org/discounts. Accessed September 2, 2019.
- National estimates of price variation by site of care.Am J Manag Care. 2016; 22: e116-e121
- Cost comparison between uterine-sparing fibroid treatments one year following treatment.J Ther Ultrasound. 2014; 2: 7
- Incidence of emergency department visits and complications after abortion.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 175-183
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was supported by a grant from the Society of Family Planning, SFPRF10-10.
Cite this article as: Leslie DL, Liu G, Jones BS, et al. Healthcare costs for abortions performed in ambulatory surgery centers versus office-based settings. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2020;222:348.e1-9.