Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Stress, intrusive imagery, and chronic distress.Health Psychol. 1990; 6: 653-675
- Salivary cortisol levels as a biological marker of stress reaction.Med Arch. 2013; 67: 374-377
- Manual for the State/Trait Anxiety Inventory.Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto (CA)1970
- Cortisol as a biomarker of stress in term human labor: physiological and methodological issues.Biol Res Nurs. 2014; 8: 1385-1395
- Cortisol awakening response in pregnant women.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2005; 30: 902-907
- Progesterone, cortisol and oestradiol-17 beta in the initiation of human parturition: partitioning between free and bound hormone in plasma.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1985; 92: 65-71
- Women’s acute anxiety variations before and after epidural anesthesia for childbirth.J Psychosom Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 38: 152-158
- Postpartum anxiety and maternal-infant health outcomes.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e1218-e1224
- Use of saliva for monitoring unbound free cortisol levels in serum.Clin Chim Acta. 1981; 110: 2
- The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale.Occup Med (Chicago, Ill). 2014; 64: 393-394
- The Hospital Anxiety And Depression Scale.Heal Qual Life Outcomes. 2003; : 1-29
- Methodological problems in the measurement of pain: a comparison between the verbal rating scale and the visual analogue scale.Pain. 1975; 1: 379-384
- Does stress affect IVF outcomes? A prospective study assessing cortisol levels and stress questionnaires for women undergoing through IVF treatments.Reprod Biomed Online. 2019; 39: 93-101
- The maternal serum cortisol levels after onset of labor.Tohoku J Exp Med. 1987; 152: 133-137
- Circulating maternal cortisol levels during vaginal delivery and elective cesarean section.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2016; 294: 267-271
- Fear, pain and stress hormones during childbirth.J Psychosom Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 26: 153-165
- Hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis after a single epidural triamcinolone injection.Endocrine. 2017; 57: 308-311
Downing JW, Johnson HV, Gonzalez HF, Arney TL, Herman NL Jr. The pharmacokinetics of epidural lidocaine and bupivacaine during cesarean section. Anesth Analg 84:527-32.
- Umbilical cortisol levels as an indicator of the fetal stress response to assisted vaginal delivery.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2001; 98: 14-17
- Umbilical vein cortisol after spontaneous and induced labour and at elective caesarean section.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1976; 83: 870-872
- Fetal cortisol in relation to labour, intrapartum events and mode of delivery.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004; 24: 129-132
- Correlations between stress hormone levels in umbilical cord blood and duration of delivery.J Pak Med Assoc. 2015; 65: 782-784
The study was supported by the research fund of the Israel Insurance Association .
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Corresponding author: The Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine: Publications Committee. [email protected]
Cite this article as: Miller N, Atamna Asali A, Agassi-Zaitler M, et al. Physiological and psychological stress responses to labor and delivery as expressed by salivary cortisol: a prospective study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;221:351.e1-7.