Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Chronic pelvic pain: prevalence, health-related quality of life, and economic correlates.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 87: 321-327
- Could chronic pelvic pain be a functional somatic syndrome?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205: 199.e1-199.e5
- Prevalence of pelvic musculoskeletal disorders in a female chronic pelvic pain clinic.J Reprod Med. 2006; 51: 185-189
- Recognizing myofascial pelvic pain in the female patient with chronic pelvic pain.J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2012; 41: 680-691
- Myofascial dysfunction associated with chronic pelvic floor pain: management strategies.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2007; 11: 359-364
- Rehabilitation of the short pelvic floor. I: Background and patient evaluation.Int Urogynecol J. 2003; 14: 261-268
- Botulinum toxin A for myofascial trigger point injection: a qualitative systematic review.Eur J Pain. 2007; 11: 519-527
- Treatment of whiplash associated neck pain [corrected] with botulinum toxin-A: a pilot study.J Rheumatol (Toronto). 2000; 27: 481-484
- Botulinum toxin in the treatment of refractory vaginismus.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 104: 922-925
- Botulinum toxin type A for the treatment of provoked vestibulodynia: an open-label, pilot study.J Reprod Med. 2006; 51: 467-470
- Botulinum toxin type A for chronic pain and pelvic floor spasm in women: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 108: 915-923
- Botulinum toxin type A (BOTOX) for refractory myofascial pelvic pain.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2013; 19: 288-292
- Psychometric evaluation of 2 comprehensive condition-specific quality of life instruments for women with pelvic floor disorders.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 185: 1388-1395
- Validation of two global impression questionnaires for incontinence.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189: 98-101
O’Leary MP, Sant GR, Fowler FJ Jr, Whitmore KE, Spolarich-Kroll J. The interstitial cystitis symptom index and problem index. Urology1997;49:58-63.
- Clinical trial: effects of botulinum toxin on levator ani syndrome—a double-blind, placebo-controlled study.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2009; 29: 985-991
- Botulinum toxin A injections into pelvic floor muscles under electromyographic guidance for women with refractory high-tone pelvic floor dysfunction: a 6-month prospective pilot study.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2015; 21: 277-282
- Pilot study of botulinum toxin type A in the treatment of chronic pelvic pain associated with spasm of the levator ani muscles.Aust New Zeal J Obstet Gynaecol. 2004; 44: 46-50
- Injecction of trigger points in the temporal muscles of patients with miofascial syndrome.Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2015; 73: 861-866
- Comparisons of pain relief mechanisms between needling to the muscle, static magnetic field, external qigong and needling to the acupuncture point.Acupunct Electrother Res. 1996; 21: 119
This study was supported by a grant from Allergan and Harvard Catalyst ; the Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center ( National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences , National Institutes of Health award UL 1TR002541 ); and financial contributions from Harvard University and its affiliated academic health care centers. The sources of funding had no role in study design; collection, analysis, and interpretation of data; writing of the report; or the decision to submit for publication.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Dessie SG, Von Bargen E, Hacker MR, et al. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of onabotulinumtoxin A trigger point injections for myofascial pelvic pain. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;221:517.e1-9.