Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- New persistent opioid use after minor and major surgical procedures in US adults.JAMA Surg. 2017; e170504
- Relationship between nonmedical prescription-opioid use and heroin use.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 154-163
- Vital signs: overdoses of prescription opioid pain relievers and other drugs among women—United States, 1999-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013; 62: 537-542
- The opioid crisis is now one of 29 active national emergencies.CNN, 2017 (Available at: https://www.wcvb.com/article/the-opioid-crisis-is-now-one-of-29-active-national-emergencies/12002191 Accessed August 12, 2017.)
- A proactive response to prescription opioid abuse.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 1480-1485
- Wide variation and excessive dosage of opioid prescriptions for common general surgical procedures.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 709-714
- Overprescription of postoperative narcotics: a look at postoperative pain medication delivery, consumption and disposal in urological practice.J Urol. 2011; 185: 551-555
- Opioid use and storage patterns by patients after hospital discharge following surgery.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0147972
- Statewide opioid prescriptions and the prevalence of adolescent opioid misuse in Ohio.Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2017; 43: 299-305
- Medication sharing, storage, and disposal practices for opioid medications among US adults.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1027-1029
- Unused opioid pills after outpatient shoulder surgeries given current perioperative prescribing habits.Am J Sports Med. 2017; 45: 636-641
- A prospective evaluation of opioid utilization after upper-extremity surgical procedures: identifying consumption patterns and determining prescribing guidelines.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016; 98: e89
- Postdischarge opioid use after cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 36-41
- Patterns of opioid prescription and use after cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 29-35
- Opioid prescribing patterns, patient use, and postoperative pain after hysterectomy for benign indications.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 1261-1268
- Outpatient narcotic use after minimally invasive urogynecologic surgery.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2016; 22: 377-381
- An educational intervention decreases opioid prescribing after general surgical operations.Ann Surg. 2018; 267: 468-472
- Enhanced recovery in gynecologic surgery.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 319-328
- Liposomal bupivacaine infiltration at the surgical site for the management of postoperative pain.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 2: CD011419
- Disposal of Unused Medicines: What You Should Know, 4/29/2019.(Available at:)https://www.fda.gov/drugs/safe-disposal-medicines/disposal-unused-medicines-what-you-should-knowDate accessed: May 12, 2019
- Postoperative opioid prescribing following gynecologic surgery for pelvic organ prolapse.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2018; ([Epub ahead of print])
- Iatrogenic opioid dependence in the united states: are surgeons the gatekeepers?.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 728-730
- Wide variation and overprescription of opioids after elective surgery.Ann Surg. 2017; 266: 564-573
- The underrecognized toll of prescription opioid abuse on young children.Ann Emerg Med. 2009; 53: 419-424
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This project was supported by an endowment to the Mayo Clinic Values Council from the Rochester Sisters of Saint Francis. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of Mayo Clinic.
Cite this article as: Linder BJ, Occhino JA, Wiest SR, et al. Assessing the impact of procedure-specific opioid prescribing recommendations on opioid stewardship following pelvic organ prolapse surgery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;221:515.e1-8.