Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Trends in urinary incontinence in women between 4 and 24 months postpartum in the EDEN cohort.BJOG. 2016; 123: 1222-1228
- Urinary incontinence in the 12-month postpartum period.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 102: 1291-1298
- Risk factors for dyspareunia after first childbirth.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 512-518
- Characteristics and determinants of postpartum ovarian function in women in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1993; 169: 55-60
- Factors related to duration of postpartum amenorrhea among USA women with prolonged lactation.J Bioscoc Sci. 1994; 26: 517-527
- Effect of breastfeeding on pituitary ovarian function after childbirth.Br Med J. 1975; 4: 82-84
- Impact of menopause on collage subtypes in the arcus tendineous fasciae pelvis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 190: 620-627
- Estrogens maintain skeletal muscle and satellite cell functions.J Endocrinol. 2016; 229: 267-275
- Effect of estrogen on urethral function and nerve regeneration following pudendal nerve crush injury in the female rat.J Urol. 2006; 175: 1948-1952
- Muscle injuries and strategies for improving their repair.J Exp Orthop. 2016; 3: 15
- Cellular mechanisms of tissue fibrosis. 4. Structural and functional consequences of skeletal muscle fibrosis.Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2013; 305: C241-C252
- The appearance of levator ani muscle abnormalities in magnetic resonance images after vaginal delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 101: 46-53
- Pelvic floor disorders 5-10 years after vaginal or cesarean childbirth.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 777-784
- Are US mothers meeting the healthy people 2010 breastfeeding targets for initiation, duration, and exclusivity? The 2003 and 2004 National Immunization Surveys.J Hum Lact. 2008; 24: 278-288
- Epidemiology of prolapsed and incontinence questionnaire: validation of a new epidemiologic survey.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2005; 16: 272-284
- The standardization of terminology of female pelvic organ prolpase and pelvic floor dysfunction.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 175: 10-17
- Is there a pelvic organ prolapse threshold that predicts pelvic floor symptoms?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 683.e1-683.e7
- Vaginal estrogen: a dual-edged sword in postoperative healing of the vaginal wall.Menopause. 2017; 24: 838-849
- Prevalence and trends of symptomatic pelvic floor disorders in US women.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 141-148
- Breastfeeding and health outcomes for the mother-infant dyad.Pediatr Clin North Am. 2013; 60: 31-48
- Fecal and urinary incontinence after vaginal delivery with anal sphincter disruption in an obstetrics unit in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 189: 1543-1549
- Evaluation of third-degree and fourth-degree laceration rates as quality indicators.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 927-937
This study was supported by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (grants R01HD056275 and R01HD082070 ).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This study was performed in the following locations: The Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, John Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD.
Cite this article as: Lovejoy DA, Roem JL, Blomquist JL, et al. Breastfeeding and pelvic floor disorders one to two decades after vaginal delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;221:333.e1-8.