Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Epidemiology of urinary tract infections: incidence, morbidity, and economic costs.Am J Med. 2002; 113: 5s-13s
- The epidemiology of urinary tract infection.Nat Rev Urol. 2010; 7: 653-660
- Recurrent urinary tract infections in postmenopausal women.Clin Infect Dis. 2000; 30: 152-156
- Antimicrobial resistance patterns in women with positive urine culture: does menopausal status make a significant difference?.Biomed Res Int. 2017; 2017: 4192908
- Validating the prediction of lower urinary tract infection in primary care: sensitivity and specificity of urinary dipsticks and clinical scores in women.Br J Gen Pract. 2010; 60: 495-500
- Chronic lower urinary symptoms do not predict bacteriuria.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008; 101: 302-303
- International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: a 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: e103-e120
- The optimal use of diagnostic testing in women with acute uncomplicated cystitis.Am J Med. 2002; 113: 20s-28s
- Urinary symptoms and their associations with urinary tract infections in urogynecologic patients.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 718-725
- Evaluation of suspected urinary tract infection in ambulatory women: a cost-utility analysis of office-based strategies.J Fam Pract. 1997; 44: 49-60
- Nitrofurantoin compares favorably to recommended agents as empirical treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infections in a decision and cost analysis.Mayo Clin Proc. 2011; 86: 480-488
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of fosfomycin for treatment of uncomplicated urinary tract infections in Ontario.Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol. 2017; 2017: 6362804
- Effect of 5-day nitrofurantoin vs single-dose fosfomycin on clinical resolution of uncomplicated lower urinary tract infection in women: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1781-1789
- Symptomatic treatment of uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections in the ambulatory setting: randomised, double blind trial.BMJ. 2017; 359: j4784
- GoodRx.(Available At:)https://www.goodrx.com/?kw=price&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=good%20rx|p&utm_campaign=Brand&utm_content=Ad-Group_GoodRx&msclkid=42f93a6b99e11ef0d8386641f55dcbb6Date accessed: September 1, 2018
- AHRQ Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville (MD)2015
- Fosfomycin trometamol in a single dose versus seven days nitrofurantoin in the treatment of acute uncomplicated urinary tract infections in women.Pharm World Sci. 1993; 15: 257-262
- Comparison of single-dose fosfomycin and a 7-day course of nitrofurantoin in female patients with uncomplicated urinary tract infection.Clin Ther. 1999; 21: 1864-1872
- Acute pyelonephritis among adults: cost of illness and considerations for the economic evaluation of therapy.Pharmacoeconomics. 2005; 23: 1123-1142
- Food and Drug Administration Drug Safety Communication.(Available at:)Accessed June 14, 2019)
Markowitz MA, Wood LN, Raz S, Miller LG, Haake DA, Kim JH. Lack of uniformity among United States recommendations for diagnosis and management of acute, uncomplicated cystitis. Int Urogynecol J 2018 Aug 11. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00192-018-3750-z. [Epub ahead of print].
- Antibiotic resistance patterns of bacteria causing urinary tract infections in the elderly living in nursing homes versus the elderly living at home: an observational study.BMC Geriatr. 2015; 15: 98
- Resistance profiles of urinary tract infections in general practice—an observational study.BMC Urol. 2012; 12: 33
- Utility of dipstick urinalysis in peri- and postmenopausal women with irritative bladder symptoms.Int Urogynecol J. 2014; 25: 493-497
- Urinary tract infections in older women: a clinical review.JAMA. 2014; 311: 844-854
- Diagnosis and treatment of urinary tract infections across age groups.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 219: 40-51
- LabCorp.(Available at:)https://www.health-tests-direct.com/what-tests-are-available/Date accessed: June 18, 2018
The authors report no conflicts of interest.
Cite this article as: Bradley MS, MD; Beigi RH, Shepherd JP. A cost-minimization analysis of treatment options for postmenopausal women with dysuria. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;221:505.e1-7.