Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
WHO. | Obesity and overweight. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/ 2016 [updated February 2018]. Accessed Feb. 17, 2018.
OECD. Obesity update - © OECD 2017. Available at: https://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/Obesity-Update-2017.pdf [updated 2017; cited 2018 20.03.2018]. Accessed Feb. 19, 2018.
Ministry of Health. Obesity Statistics [Internet]. Available at: https://www.health.govt.nz/nz-health-statistics/health-statistics-and-data-sets/obesity-statistics: New Zealand; 2016/2017. Accessed Mar. 14, 2018.
Health CM. Women’s Health and Newborn Annual Report 2016 – 2017 [Internet]. Counties Manukau Health; 2017 [cited 2017 September 2017.]. Available at: http://www.countiesmanukau.health.nz/assets/Our-services/attachments/2016-17-CM-Health-Womens-Health-and-Newborn-Annual-Report.pdf. Accessed Apr. 15, 2018.
Counties Manukau Health. Population profile Counties Manukau Health, Counties Manukau Health website 2016. Available at: http://countiesmanukau.health.nz/about-us/our-region/population-profile. Accessed Apr. 15, 2018.
- External review of maternity care in the counties manukau district.Counties Manukau District Health Board, Auckland2012 (Accessed Apr. 20, 2018.)
- Health indicators of Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders in the United States.J Community Health. 2010; 35: 81-92
- Maternal obesity and infant outcomes.Early Hum Dev. 2010; 86: 715-722
- The effects of an increasing gradient of maternal obesity on pregnancy outcomes.Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol. 2013; 53: 250-257
- The hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcome study: associations of GDM and obesity with pregnancy outcomes.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 780-786
- Pre-pregnancy and pregnancy obesity and neurodevelopmental outcomes in offspring: a systematic review.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: e548-e559
- Influence of maternal obesity on the long-term health of offspring.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2017; 5: 53-64
- economic burden of obesity: a systematic literature review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14: 19
- Association of maternal body mass index, excessive weight gain, and gestational diabetes mellitus with large-for-gestational-age births.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 737-744
- Gestational weight gain and child adiposity at age 3 years.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196: 322.e1-322.e8
- Maternal obesity: pregnancy complications, gestational weight gain and nutrition.Obes Rev. 2008; 9: 140-150
- Effects of interventions in pregnancy on maternal weight and obstetric outcomes: meta-analysis of randomised evidence.BMJ. 2012; 344: e2088
- A randomized clinical trial of exercise during pregnancy to prevent gestational diabetes mellitus and improve pregnancy outcome in overweight and obese pregnant women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 340-351
- Prevention of obesity and diabetes in pregnancy: is it an impossible dream?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: 581-589
- Developmental programming by maternal obesity in 2015: outcomes, mechanisms, and potential interventions.Horm Behav. 2015; 76: 143-152
- Factors affecting low-income women's food choices and the perceived impact of dietary intake and socioeconomic status on their health and weight.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 242-253
- mHealth: new horizons for health through mobile technologies [Internet]. Global Observatory for eHealth series - Volume 3; [cited 2017 Jan 11].(Available at:)Accessed May 8, 2018)
- Community health workers and mobile technology: a systematic review of the literature.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e65772
- Mobile phone interventions to increase physical activity and reduce weight: a systematic review.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2013; 28: 320-329
- Joint FAO/WHO expert consultation on evaluation of health and nutritional properties of probiotics in food including powder milk with live lactic acid bacteria.FAO WHO, Cordoba, Argentina2001: 1-34
- Role of the microbiome in energy regulation and metabolism.Gastroenterology. 2014; 146: 1525-1533
- The effects of probiotics supplementation on metabolic health in pregnant women: an evidence based meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2018; 13: e0197771
- Intake of probiotic food and risk of preeclampsia in primiparous women: the Norwegian Mother and Child Cohort Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2011; 174: 807-815
- Effect of Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 in pregnancy on postpartum symptoms of depression and anxiety: a randomised double-blind placebo-controlled trial.EBioMedicine. 2017; 24: 159-165
- Impact of maternal probiotic-supplemented dietary counselling on pregnancy outcome and prenatal and postnatal growth: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study.Br J Nutr. 2010; 103: 1792-1799
- Probiotics for the prevention of gestational diabetes mellitus in overweight and obese women: findings from the SPRING Double-blind randomized controlled trial.Diabetes Care. 2019; 42: 364-371
- Effect of diet and physical activity based interventions in pregnancy on gestational weight gain and pregnancy outcomes: meta-analysis of individual participant data from randomised trials.BMJ. 2017; 358: j3119
HUMBA. The Healthy Mums and Babies Randomised Controlled Demonstration Trial- Working Protocol. Available at: https://doi.org/10.17608/k6.auckland.6665171 2017 [31.03.2017]. Accessed Jun. 9, 2018.
Friedman CP. Evaluation methods in medical informatics [electronic resource] / Charles P. Friedman, Jeremy C. Wyatt; foreword by Edward H. Shortliffe; with contributions by Joan S. Ash … [et al.]. 2nd ed. Wyatt J, ed. SpringerLink, editors. New York: Springer; 2006.
Ministry of Health. Screening, Diagnosis and Management of Gestational Diabetes in New Zealand: A clinical practice guideline. Epub 17 December 2014. Available at: http://www.health.govt.nz/publication/screening-diagnosis-and-management-gestational-diabetes-new-zealand-clinical-practice-guideline. Accessed Nov. 29, 2017.
Certificate in Pacific Nutrition. Available at: http://www.heartfoundation.org.nz/programmes-resources/pacific-health/pacific-healthy-eating/certificate-in-pacific-nutrition: Heart Foundation New Zealand; 2014. Accessed Mar. 10, 2016.
Gravida. An inside look at “Healthy Conversations” training. Available at: http://www.gravida.org.nz/news-and-events/news/an-inside-look-at-healthy-conversations-training/ 2013. Accessed Mar. 10, 2016.
- The Southampton Initiative for Health: a complex intervention to improve the diets and increase the physical activity levels of women from disadvantaged communities.J Health Psychol. 2011; 16: 178-191
Gravida. Healthy Conversations Skills Training. Available at: http://www.healthystartworkforce.auckland.ac.nz/en/our-education-programmes/healthy-conversation-skills-resources.html#SMARTER [cited 2017 July]. Accessed Mar. 10, 2016.
Eating for healthy pregnant women. [Internet]. Ministry of Health, Wellington, 2013: https://www.health.govt.nz/your-health/pregnancy-and-kids/pregnancy/helpful-advice-during-pregnancy/eating-safely-and-well-during-pregnancy. Accessed Mar. 10, 2016.
- Ministry of Health Healthy Weight Gain in Pregnancy, LMC Quick Reference Guide.(Available at:)https://wwwhealthgovtnz/system/files/documents/publications/healthy-weight-gain-in-pregnancy-record-lmc-quick-reference-guide-jun14pdf(Accessed Dec. 28, 2015)Date: 2014
Ministry of Health Healthy Weight Gain in Pregnancy; 2014. Available at: https://wwwhealthgovtnz/system/files/documents/publications/healthy-weight-gain-in-pregnancy-record-card-jun14pdf. Accessed Dec. 28, 2015.
- A comprehensive FFQ developed for use in New Zealand adults: reliability and validity for nutrient intakes.Public Health Nutr. 2014; 17: 287-296
- The New Zealand Physical Activity Questionnaires: report on the validation and use of the NZPAQ-LF and NZPAQ-SF self-report physical activity survey instruments.(SPARC), Wellington: New Zealand2004
- The development of a six-item short-form of the state scale of the Spielberger State-Trait Anxiety Inventory (STAI).Br J Clin Psychol. 1992; 31: 301-306
- Cross-validation of item selection and scoring for the SF-12 Health Survey in nine countries: results from the IQOLA Project. International Quality of Life Assessment.J Clin Epidemiol. 1998; 51: 1171-1178
- Identifying depression in the first postpartum year: guidelines for office-based screening and referral.J Affect Disord. 2004; 80: 37-44
- Body composition of reference children from birth to age 10 years.Am J Clin Nutr. 1982; 35: 1169-1175
- Weight gain during pregnancy: reexamining the guidelines.([Internet]) The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2009
- Antenatal lifestyle advice for women who are overweight or obese: LIMIT randomised trial.BMJ. 2014; 348: g1285
- Correction to: A randomised controlled demonstration trial of multifaceted nutritional intervention and or probiotics: the healthy mums and babies (HUMBA) trial [Erratum for BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016 Nov 24;16:373; PMID: 27884128].BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018; 18: 130
- Birth weight and long-term overweight risk: systematic review and a meta-analysis including 643,902 persons from 66 studies and 26 countries globally.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e47776
- The classification, diagnosis and management of the hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: a revised statement from the ISSHP.Pregnancy Hypertens. 2014; 4: 97-104
- Detection of postnatal depression. Development of the 10-item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale.Br J Psychiatry. 1987; 150: 782-786
- Gestational weight gain and adverse pregnancy outcomes in a nulliparous cohort.Eur J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 167: 149-153
- Impact of using the International Association of Diabetes and Pregnancy Study Groups criteria in South Auckland: prevalence, interventions and outcomes.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2015; 55: 34-41
- A modified Poisson regression approach to prospective studies with binary data.Am J Epidemiol. 2004; 159: 702-706
- Early pregnancy probiotic supplementation with Lactobacillus rhamnosus HN001 may reduce the prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus: a randomised controlled trial.Br J Nutr. 2017; 117: 804-813
- Pregnancy outcomes in women taking probiotics or prebiotics: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018; 18: 14
- Comparative meta-analysis of the effect of Lactobacillus species on weight gain in humans and animals.Microb Pathog. 2012; 53: 100-108
- Weight change between successive pregnancies and risks of stillbirth and infant mortality: a nationwide cohort study.Lancet. 2016; 387: 558-565
- Interpregnancy weight change and risk for adverse perinatal outcome.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 999-1009
- Maternal preconception weight trajectories are associated with offsprings' childhood obesity.Int J Obes. 2018; 42: 1265-1274
- Barriers to early initiation of antenatal care in a multi-ethnic sample in South Auckland, New Zealand.N Z Med J. 2014; 127: 53-61
- A systematic review of barriers and facilitators to minority research participation among African Americans, Latinos, Asian Americans, and Pacific Islanders.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: e16-e31
- Improving Hawaiian and Filipino involvement in clinical research opportunities: qualitative findings from Hawai'i.Ethn Dis. 2005; 15 (S5–S111-9)
The authors report no conflict of interest.
This trial received financial and in-kind support from the following funding sources: financial support from Cure Kids (Child Health Research Charity); Lottery Health Research Grants; Faculty Research Development Fund, University of Auckland; Counties Manukau Health, South Auckland; Two Mercia Barnes Trust Grants (administered by the New Zealand Committee of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists); Nurture Foundation; and the Heart Foundation of New Zealand. In-kind support: Roche Diagnostics International Ltd provided the cobas b 101 point-of-care system for measuring hemoglobin A1c and lipids and Christian Hansen (Chr. Hansen A/S, Horsholm, Denmark) provided the probiotic/placebo capsules free of charge. The funding sources had no involvement in the trial design; collection, analysis, and interpretation of the data; in the writing of the report; and the decision to submit the article for publication.
Universal Clinical trial number (UTN) U1111-1155-0409.
Australian New Zealand Clinical Trials Registry number: ACTRN12615000400561 (http://www.ANZCTR.org.au/ACTRN12615000400561.aspx)
Cite this article as: Okesene-Gafa KAM, Li M, McKinlay CJD, et al. Effect of antenatal dietary interventions in maternal obesity on pregnancy weight-gain and birthweight: Healthy Mums and Babies (HUMBA) randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;221:152.e1-13.