Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Committee Opinion No. 543: timing of umbilical cord clamping after birth.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 1522-1526
American College of Nurse Midwives. Delayed Umbilical Cord Clamping: Position Statement. Available at: http://www.midwife.org/ACNM/files/ACNMLibraryData/UPLOADFILENAME/000000000290/Delayed-Umbilical-Cord-Clamping-May-2014.pdf. Published May 2014. Approved May 2014. Accessed August 1, 2018.
- Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping and other strategies to influence placental transfusion at preterm birth on maternal and infant outcomes.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 8: CD003248
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of a brief delay in clamping the umbilical cord of preterm infants.Neonatology. 2008; 93: 138-144
- Effect of timing of umbilical cord clamping of term infants on maternal and neonatal outcomes.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 7: CD004074
- Neonatal prevention of iron deficiency.BMJ. 1996; 312: 136-137
- Umbilical cord milking and hematological parameters in moderate to late preterm neonates: a randomized controlled trial.Indian Pediatr. 2015; 52: 753-757
- Effect of umbilical cord milking in term and near term infants: randomized control trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 208: 120.e1-120.e6
- Efficacy and safety of umbilical cord milking at birth: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169: 18-25
- Delayed vs early umbilical cord clamping for preterm infants: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: 1-18
- Placental transfusion strategies in very preterm neonates: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 47-56
- Umbilical cord milking versus delayed cord clamping in preterm infants.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: 61-69
- Milking compared with delayed cord clamping to increase placental transfusion in preterm neonates: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 205-211
- Delayed versus immediate cord clamping in preterm infants.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 2445-2455
- CONSORT 2010 statement: updated guidelines for reporting parallel group randomised trials.BMJ. 2010; 340: c332
- The 2008 National Institute of Child Health and Human Development workshop report on electronic fetal monitoring: update on definitions, interpretation, and research guidelines.Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 112: 661-666
- Umbilical cord milking reduces the need for red cell transfusions and improves neonatal adaptation in infants born at less than 29 weeks’ gestation: a randomised controlled trial.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2008; 93: F14-F19
- Delayed umbilical cord clamping in premature neonates.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 325-330
- Management of cord and placental blood and its effect upon the newborn.Calif Med. 1949; 71 (190-19)
- The effects of umbilical cord milking in extremely preterm infants: a randomized controlled trial.J Perinatol. 2013; 33: 763-767
- Effect of umbilical cord milking on morbidity and survival in extremely low gestational age neonates.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 519.e1-519.e7
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Shirk SK, Manolis SA, Lambers DS, et al. Delayed clamping vs milking of umbilical cord in preterm infants: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;220:482.e1-8.