Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Stillbirth.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1715-1725
- Morbidity and mortality among very-low-birth-weight neonates with intrauterine growth restriction: the Vermont Oxford Network.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 182: 198-206
- Adult consequences of fetal growth restriction.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 49: 270-283
- Reduced nephron endowment in the neonates of indigenous Australian peoples.J Dev Orig Health Dis. 2014; 5: 31-35
- Fetal size standards to diagnose a small- or a large-for-gestational-age fetus.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: S605-S607
- Customized growth charts: rationale, validation and clinical benefits.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: S609-S618
- The World Health Organization fetal growth charts: concept, findings, interpretation, and application.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: S619-S629
- The INTERGROWTH-21(st) fetal growth standards: toward the global integration of pregnancy and pediatric care.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: S630-S640
- Fetal growth standards: the NICHD fetal growth study approach in context with INTERGROWTH-21st and the World Health Organization Multicentre Growth Reference Study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: S641-S655.e28
- Individualized growth assessment: conceptual framework and practical implementation for the evaluation of fetal growth and neonatal growth outcome.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: S656-S678
- A new customized fetal growth standard for African American women: the PRB/NICHD Detroit study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: S679-S691.e4
- Revealing the prehistoric settlement of Australia by Y chromosome and mtDNA analysis.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007; 104: 8726-8730
Australian Government Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The health and welfare of Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. 2015. Available at: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/indigenous-health-welfare/indigenous-health-welfare-2015/contents/table-of-contents. Accessed February 20, 2019.
Australia's mothers and babies 2013—in brief. Perinatal statistics series no. 31. Cat. no. PER 72. Canberra: AIHW. 2015. Available at: http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=60129553770. Accessed August 22, 2016.
- Risk factors for preterm, low birthweight and small for gestational age births among Aboriginal women from remote communities in Northern Australia.Women Birth. 2017; 30: 398-405
- Analysis of birth weight percentile as a predictor of perinatal outcome.Obstet Gynecol. 1986; 68: 459-463
- Growth in utero, blood pressure in childhood and adult life, and mortality from cardiovascular disease.BMJ. 1989; 298: 564-567
- Birth weight percentile and the risk of term perinatal death.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 274-283
- Human fetal growth is constrained below optimal for perinatal survival.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 45: 162-167
- Perinatal mortality by birthweight centile.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2014; 54: 354-359
- Neurodevelopment and predictors of outcomes of children with birth weights of less than 1000 g: 1992-1995.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2000; 154: 725-731
- Behavioral outcomes of extremely low birth weight children at age 8 years.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2009; 30: 122-130
- Effect of very low birth weight and subnormal head size on cognitive abilities at school age.N Engl J Med. 1991; 325: 231-237
- The effects of poor neonatal health on children's cognitive development: NBER Working Paper Series 2013.National Bureau Of Economic Research, Cambridge (MA)2013
- Intrauterine growth and gestational duration determinants.Pediatrics. 1987; 80: 502-511
- Effects of maternal inflammation and exposure to cigarette smoke on birth weight and delivery of preterm babies in a cohort of indigenous Australian women.Front Immunol. 2015; 6: 89
Perinatal Institute. GROW centiles bulk calculator. 2015. Available at: https://www.perinatal.org.uk/FetalGrowth/fetalgrowth.aspx. Accessed February 20, 2019.
Australian Bureau of Statistics. 1216.0 - Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC). 2011. Available at: https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/1216.0 . Accessed February 20, 2019.
- DAGitty: a graphical tool for analyzing causal diagrams.Epidemiology. 2011; 22: 745
- Late Pleistocene climate drivers of early human migration.Nature. 2016; 538: 92-95
- A genomic history of aboriginal Australia.Nature. 2016; 538: 207-214
- Aboriginal mitogenomes reveal 50,000 years of regionalism in Australia.Nature. 2017; 544: 180-184
- Human fetal growth is constrained below optimal for perinatal survival.Ultrasound Obstetrics Gynecol. 2015; 45: 162-167
- The roles of socioeconomic status and Aboriginality in birth outcomes at an urban hospital.Med J Aust. 2008; 189: 495-498
- Meta-analysis of the association between preterm delivery and intelligence.J Public Health. 2012; 34: 209-216
- Development of the immune system in very low birth weight (less than 1500) premature infants: concentrations of plasma immunoglobulins and patterns of infections.Pediatr Res. 1986; 20: 899-904
- Impact of perinatal health and socio-demographic factors on school education outcomes: a population study of indigenous and non-indigenous children in the Northern Territory.J Paediatr Child Health. 2015; 51: 778-786
- What birthweight percentile is associated with optimal perinatal mortality and childhood education outcomes?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: S712-S724
- Longitudinal rates and risk factors for adverse birth weight among first nations pregnancies in Alberta.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2016; 38: 29-34
- Indigenous birth outcomes in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States: an overview.Open Womens Health J. 2010; 4: 7-17
Supported by a University of Newcastle Australian Postgraduate Research Scholarship (L.M).
The source of funding played no role in the interpretation or publication of the data.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Smith R, Mohapatra L, Hunter M, et al. A case for not adjusting birthweight customized standards for ethnicity: observations from a unique Australian cohort. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2019;220:277.e1-10.