Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Global and regional estimates of preeclampsia and eclampsia: a systematic review.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2013; 170: 1-7
- The global impact of pre-eclampsia and eclampsia.Semin Perinatol. 2009; 33: 130-137
- Predictors of neonatal outcome in early- onset placental dysfunction.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 109: 253-261
- Circulating angiogenic factors and the risk of preeclampsia.N Engl J Med. 2004; 350: 672-683
- Preeclampsia, a disease of the maternal endothelium the role of antiangiogenic factors and implications for later cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2011; 123: 2856-2869
- Proton pump inhibitors decrease soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase-1 and soluble endoglin secretion, decrease hypertension, and rescue endothelial dysfunction.Hypertension. 2017; 69: 457-468
- Low soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase-1, endoglin, and endothelin-1 levels in women with confirmed or suspected preeclampsia using proton pump inhibitors.Hypertension. 2017; 70: 594-600
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of esomeprazole, the S-isomer of omeprazole.Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2001; 15: 1563-1569
- The safety of fetal exposure to proton-pump inhibitors during pregnancy.Dig Dis Sci. 2012; 57: 699-705
- The safety of proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) in pregnancy: a meta-analysis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2009; 104: 1541-1545
- Use of proton-pump inhibitors in early pregnancy and the risk of birth defects.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2114-2123
- Double blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial to evaluate the efficacy of esomeprazole to treat early onset pre-eclampsia (PIE Trial): a study protocol.BMJ Open. 2015; 5: e008211
- Understanding expectant management of pre-eclampsia.Obstet Gynaecol Forum. 2016; 26: 22-27
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap): a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Expectant management of early onset, severe pre-eclampsia: maternal outcome.BJOG. 2000; 107: 1252-1257
- Pharmacokinetics of esomeprazole after oral and intravenous administration of single and repeated doses to healthy subjects.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2000; 56: 665-670
- Development and validation of a high throughput UPLC–MS/MS method for simultaneous quantification of esomeprazole, rabeprazole and levosulpiride in human plasma.J Pharm Anal. 2016; 6: 190-198
- Effect of esomeprazole 40 mg vs omeprazole 40 mg on 24-hour intragastric ph in patients with symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease.Dig Dis Sci. 2002; 47: 954-958
- Excess placental soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 (sFlt1) may contribute to endothelial dysfunction, hypertension, and proteinuria in preeclampsia.J Clin Invest. 2003; 111: 649-658
- Effects of simvastatin, rosuvastatin and pravastatin on soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 (sFlt-1) and soluble endoglin (sENG) secretion from human umbilical vein endothelial cells, primary trophoblast cells and placenta.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2016; 16: 117
- Metformin as a prevention and treatment for preeclampsia: effects on soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 and soluble endoglin secretion and endothelial dysfunction.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 356.e1-356.e15
- Effects of pravastatin on human placenta, endothelium, and women with severe preeclampsia.Hypertension. 2015; 66 (discussion 445): 687-697
- Resveratrol inhibits release of soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase (sFlt-1) and soluble endoglin and improves vascular dysfunction - implications as a preeclampsia treatment.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 1819
- Pilot study of extracorporeal removal of soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase 1 in preeclampsia.Circulation. 2011; 124: 940-950
- Perinatal and hemodynamic evaluation of sildenafil citrate for preeclampsia treatment.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 1181-1182
- Exploring the role of antithrombin replacement for the treatment of preeclampsia: a prospective randomized evaluation of the safety and efficacy of recombinant antithrombin in very preterm preeclampsia (PRESERVE-1).Am J Reprod Immunol. 2013; 69: 539-544
- LB02: randomized double-blind placebo controlled evaluation of the safety and efficacy of recombinant antithrombin vs placebo in preterm preeclampsia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: S559-S560
- High dose antithrombin supplementation in early preeclampsia: a randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled study.Thromb Res. 2016; 140: 7-13
Supported by The Geoff and Helen Handbury Foundation , The Beischer Medical Foundation for Mothers and Babies , The Mercy Perinatal Foundation and The Kilvington Trust ; the National Health and Medical Research Foundation of Australia provided salary support to S.T. and B.W.M.; the University of Melbourne provided a CR Roper Fellowship (salary support) to N.J.H.; C.A.C. received the Discovery Academic Fellowship and the South African Medical Association PhD Bursary.
The funders had no role in the study design, the collection, analysis, and interpretation of the data, in the writing of the report, or in the decision to submit this article for publication.
This trial is registered with the Pan African Clinical Trials Registry, PACTR201 504000771349.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Cluver CA, Hannan NJ, van Papendorp E, et al. Esomeprazole to treat women with preterm preeclampsia: a randomized placebo controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018;219:388.e1-17.