Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Influence of pelvic floor muscle contraction on the profile of vaginal closure pressure in continent and stress urinary incontinent women.J Urol. 2008; 179: 1917-1922
- Signs of genital prolapse in a Swedish population of women 20 to 59 years of age and possible related factors.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 180: 288-305
- Postpartum pelvic floor muscle training and urinary incontinence: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 1231-1238
- Pelvic floor muscle strength after childbirth.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 1021-1028
- Pelvic floor function is independently associated with pelvic organ prolapse.BJOG. 2009; 116: 1706-1714
- Levator ani muscle stretch induced by simulated vaginal birth.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 103: 31-40
- Myogenic changes of the levator ani muscle in premenopausal women: the impact of vaginal delivery and age.Neurourol Urodyn. 1998; 17: 197-205
- Pelvic floor disorders 5-10 years after vaginal or cesarean childbirth.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 118: 777-784
- Reliability of pelvic floor muscle strength assessment using different test positions and tools.Neurourol Urodyn. 2006; 25: 236-242
- A comparison of perineometer to brink score for assessment of pelvic floor muscle strength.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 192: 1583-1591
Peritron [package insert]. Lara VIC, Australia: CardioDesign Pty Ltd; 1998.
- Sarcopenia, dynapenia, and the impact of advancing age on human skeletal muscle size and strength; a quantitative review.Front Physiol. 2012; 3: 1-18
- Maximal isometric muscle strength: Normative values and gender-specific relation to age.Clin Rheumatol. 2000; 19: 105-113
- Age trajectories of grip strength: cross-sectional and longitudinal data among 8,342 Danes aged 46 to 102.Ann Epidemiol. 2006; 16: 554-562
- Pelvic floor exercise effect on pelvic muscle performance in women.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2000; 11: 212-218
- Physical activity and pelvic floor muscle training in patients with pelvic organ prolapse: a pilot study.Int Urogynecol J. 2017; 28: 1807-1815
- Levator ani function before and after childbirth.BJOG. 1997; 104: 1004-1008
- Pelvic floor muscle function before and after first childbirth.Int Urogynecol J. 2011; 22: 1497-1503
- Strength and endurance of the pelvic floor muscles in continent women: an observational study.Physiotherapy. 2010; 96: 311-316
- Effects of aging on lower urinary tract and pelvic floor function in nulliparous women.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 109: 715-720
Supported by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (R01HD056275, R01HD082070) for the conduct of research.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Myer ENB, Roem JL, Lovejoy DA, et al. Longitudinal changes in pelvic floor muscle strength among parous women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018;219:482.e1-7.