Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Results of annual screening in phase I of the United Kingdom familial ovarian cancer screening study highlight the need for strict adherence to screening schedule.J Clin Oncol. 2013; 31: 49-57
- Effect of screening on ovarian cancer mortality: the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening Randomized Controlled Trial.JAMA. 2011; 305: 2295-2303
- A randomized study of screening for ovarian cancer: a multicenter study in Japan.Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2008; 18: 414-420
- Sensitivity and specificity of multimodal and ultrasound screening for ovarian cancer, and stage distribution of detected cancers: results of the prevalence screen of the UK Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening (UKCTOCS).Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 327-340
- Risk algorithm using serial biomarker measurements doubles the number of screen-detected cancers compared with a single-threshold rule in the United Kingdom Collaborative Trial of Ovarian Cancer Screening.J Clin Oncol. 2015; 33: 2062-2071
- Clinicopathologic study of serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma with invasive carcinoma: is serous tubal intraepithelial carcinoma a reliable feature for determining the organ of origin?.Hum Pathol. 2013; 44: 1534-1543
- Intraepithelial carcinoma of the fimbria and pelvic serous carcinoma: evidence for a causal relationship.Am J Surg Pathol. 2007; 31: 161-169
- Modeling high-grade serous ovarian carcinogenesis from the fallopian tube.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011; 108: 7547-7552
- Assessment of a new system for primary site assignment in high-grade serous carcinoma of the fallopian tube, ovary, and peritoneum.Histopathology. 2015; 67: 331-337
The Society of Gynecologic Oncology of Canada. GOC Statement regarding salpingectomy and ovarian cancer prevention. Available at: https://g-o-c.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/7GOCStmt_2011Sep_SalpOvCa_EN.pdf. Accessed July 9, 2018.
Society of Gynecologic Oncology. SGO Clinical Practice Statement: salpingectomy for ovarian cancer. Available at: https://www.sgo.org/clinical-practice/guidelines/sgo-clinical-practice-statement-salpingectomy-for-ovarian-cancer-prevention/. Accessed July 9, 2018.
- Committee Opinion No. 620: salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 279-281
- No. 344–Opportunistic salpingectomy and other methods of risk reduction for ovarian/fallopian tube/peritoneal cancer in the general population.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2017; 39: 480-493
- Growth in salpingectomy rates in the United States since 2000.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 666-667
- National trends of adnexal surgeries at the time of hysterectomy for benign indication, United States, 1998-2011.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 713.e1-713.e13
- The performance and safety of bilateral salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 270.e1-270.e9
- Opportunistic salpingectomy for ovarian cancer prevention.Gynaecol Oncol Res Pract. 2015; 2: 1-9
- Opportunistic salpingectomy: uptake, risks, and complications of a regional initiative for ovarian cancer prevention.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 471.e1-471.e11
- Examining the use of salpingectomy with hysterectomy in Canada.Curr Oncol. 2013; 20: 173-175
Canadian Institute for Health Information (2015). Discharge Abstract Database (Hospital Separations). V2. Population Data BC. Data Extract. MOH (2015).
British Columbia Ministry of Health (2015). Medical Services Plan (MSP) Payment Information File.V2. Population Data BC. Data extract. MOH. 2015. Available at: www.population.bc.ca/data. Accessed June 8, 2018.
BC Ministry of Health (2015). PharmaNet. V2. BC Ministry of Health. Data Extract. Data stewardship committee (2015). Available at: www.popdata.bc.ca/data. Accessed June 8, 2018.
- Time to diagnosis of type I or II invasive epithelial ovarian cancers: a multicentre observational study using patient questionnaire and primary care records.BJOG. 2016; 123: 1012-1020
Surveillance Epidemiology and End Results Program. Ovary Cancer Survival Statistics. Available at: https://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/ovary.html. Accessed June 8, 2018.
- The role of the fallopian tube in ovarian cancer.Clin Adv Hematol Oncol. 2012; 10: 296-306
- Bilateral salpingectomy can reduce the risk of ovarian cancer in the general population: a meta-analysis.Eur J Cancer. 2016; 55: 38-46
- Effect of tubal sterilization technique on risk of serous epithelial ovarian and primary peritoneal carcinoma.Gynecol Oncol. 2014; 135: 423-427
- Tubal ligation and salpingectomy and the risk of epithelial ovarian cancer and borderline ovarian tumors: a nationwide case-control study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2015; 94: 86-94
- Ovarian cancer risk after salpingectomy: a nationwide population-based study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2015; 107
- Costs and benefits of opportunistic salpingectomy as an ovarian cancer prevention strategy.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 152: 338-345
Supported by the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute and the Canadian Institutes for Health Research and by donor funds from the Vancouver General Hospital and University of British Columbia Hospital Foundation. G.E.H. is supported by the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute Capacity Development Award in Cancer Prevention and a CIHR New Investigator Award.
The funding sources played no role in study design, collection of data, interpretation of data, writing of the report, or decision to submit the article for publication.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Hanley GE, Kwon JS, Finlayson SJ, et al. Extending the safety evidence for opportunistic salpingectomy in prevention of ovarian cancer: a cohort study from British Columbia, Canada. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018;219:172.e1-8.