Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Antenatal corticosteroids for accelerating fetal lung maturation for women at risk of preterm birth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; ([Epub ahead of print.])
- Trends in care practices, morbidity, and mortality of extremely preterm neonates, 1993-2012.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1039-1051
- A controlled trial of antepartum glucocorticoid treatment for prevention of the respiratory distress syndrome in premature infants.Pediatrics. 1972; 50: 515-525
- Reducing preterm birth by a statewide multifaceted program: an implementation study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 434-442
- Antenatal corticosteroids given to women prior to birth to improve fetal, infant, child and adult health: clinical practice guidelines.Liggins Institute, Auckland, New Zealand2015
- Repeated prenatal corticosteroid administration delays myelination of the corpus callosum in fetal sheep.Int J Dev Neurosci. 2001; 19: 415-425
- Programming effects in sheep of prenatal growth restriction and glucocorticoid exposure.Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2001; 281: R960-R970
- Effects of three courses of maternally administered dexamethasone at 0.7, 0.75, and 0.8 of gestation on prenatal and postnatal growth in sheep.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 313-319
- Association between gestational age at birth, antenatal corticosteroids, and outcomes at 5 years: multiple courses of antenatal corticosteroids for preterm birth study at 5 years of age (MACS-5).BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2014; 14: 272
- Multiple courses of antenatal corticosteroids for preterm Birth study outcomes in children at 5 years of age (MACS-5).JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 1102-1110
- Effect of prenatal glucocorticoid treatment on size at birth among infants born at term gestation.J Perinatol. 2009; 29: 731-737
- Antenatal steroids: can we optimize the dose?.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 26: 77-82
- Betamethasone pharmacokinetics after two prodrug formulations in sheep: implications for antenatal corticosteroid use.Drug Metab Dispos. 2005; 33: 1124-1130
- Antenatal dexamethasone vs betamethasone dosing for lung maturation in fetal sheep.Pediatr Res. 2017; 81: 496-503
- Low-dose betamethasone-acetate for fetal lung maturation in preterm sheep.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: 132.e1-132.e9
- Lung surfactant replacement in premature lambs with extracted lipids from bovine lung lavage: effects of dose, dispersion technique, and gestational age.Pediatr Res. 1985; 19: 569-577
- Maternofetal pharmacokinetics and fetal lung responses in chronically catheterized sheep receiving constant, low-dose infusions of betamethasone phosphate.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 775.e1-775.e12
- PKSolver: An add-in program for pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic data analysis in Microsoft Excel.Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2010; 99: 306-314
- Repeated maternal intramuscular or intraamniotic erythromycin incompletely resolves intrauterine Ureaplasma parvum infection in a sheep model of pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 134.e1-134.e9
- Endocrine and paracrine regulation of birth at term and preterm.Endocr Rev. 2000; 21: 514-550
- Induction of the mitochondrial NDUFA4L2 protein by HIF-1α decreases oxygen consumption by inhibiting complex i activity.Cell Metab. 2011; 14: 768-779
- Interleukin-16.J Leukoc Biol. 2000; 67: 757-766
- Apolipoprotein C-II and lipoprotein lipase show a temporal and geographic correlation with surfactant lipid synthesis in preparation for birth.BMC Dev Biol. 2010; 10: 111
- Restoring pulmonary surfactant membranes and films at the respiratory surface.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2017; 1859: 1725-1739
- Epithelial sodium channel (ENaC) family: Phylogeny, structure-function, tissue distribution, and associated inherited diseases.Gene. 2016; 579: 95-132
- Repetitive prenatal glucocorticoids improve lung function and decrease growth in preterm lambs.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1997; 156: 178-184
- Fetal dexamethasone exposure alters macromolecular characteristics of rat brain development: a critical period for regionally selective alterations?.Teratology. 1992; 46: 45-59
- Multiple courses of antenatal betamethasone and cognitive development of mice offspring.J Matern Fetal Med. 2001; 10: 269-276
- Sex specific changes in placental growth and MAPK following short term maternal dexamethasone exposure in the mouse.Placenta. 2011; 32: 981-989
- Multiple courses of antenatal corticosteroids for preterm birth (MACS): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2008; 372: 2143-2151
- Antenatal betamethasone for women at risk for late preterm delivery.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 486-487
- Betamethasone in pregnancy: influence of maternal body weight and multiple gestation on pharmacokinetics.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 203: 254.e1-254.e12
- Postnatal lung function after prenatal steroid treatment in sheep: effect of gender.Pediatr Res. 1997; 42: 885-892
Supported by a philanthropic grant from GlaxoSmithKline (M.W.K., A.H.J.) and by the Women and Infants Research Foundation, Perth, Western Australia, and the Western Australian State Government Department of Health M.W.K.). M.C. is affiliated with Metabolomics Australia.
These funding organizations had no role in the collection, analysis and interpretation of data, or the decision to publish this work.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Kemp MW, Saito M, Usuda H, et al. The efficacy of antenatal steroid therapy is dependent on the duration of low-concentration fetal exposure: evidence from a sheep model of pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018;219:301.e1-16.