Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Flamm B, Berwick D, Kabcenell A. Reducing cesarean rates safely: lessons from a “breakthrough series” collaborative Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/resources/Pages/Publications/ReducingCesareanSectionRatesSafely.aspx. Accessed Feb. 7, 2018.
- Evidence-based labor and delivery management: can we safety reduce the cesarean rate?.Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2017; 44: 523-533
- Today’s cesarean section rate: can we reduce it?.Contemp OBGYN. 1988; 32: 154-155
Thielking M. Sky high C-section rates in the US don’t translate to better birth outcomes. Available at: https://www.statnews.com/2015/12/01/cesarean-section-childbirth/. Accessed Feb. 7, 2018.
Nagel R. Cesarean rate is too high. Available at: http://www.healingourchildren.org/cesarean-births/. Accessed March 29, 2018.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Cesarean delivery rate by state. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/cesarean_births/cesareans.htm. Accessed Feb. 15, 2018.
- Safe prevention of the primary cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 693-710
- Cesarean section on request at 39 weeks: impact on shoulder dystocia, fetal trauma, neonatal encephalopathy and intrauterine fetal demise.Semin Perinatol. 2006; 30: 276-287
- Maternal mortality in the United States: predictability and the impact of protocols on fatal postcesarean pulmonary embolism and hypertension-related intracranial hemorrhage.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 32.e1-32.e9
Khan Academy. Microeconomics: supply, demand and market equilibrium. Available at: https://www.khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain/microeconomics/supply-demand-equilibrium. Accessed Feb. 7, 2018.
Pettinger T. Cracking Economics. Available at: https://www.economicshelp.org/about-2/ Accessed May 15, 2018.
- Neonatal outcomes associated with placental abruption.Am J Epidemiol. 2017; 186: 1319-1328
- Maternal risk factors and outcomes of umbilical cord prolapse.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2016; 38: 23-28
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Shoulder dystocia. Practice bulletin no. 178. 2017;129:e123-33.
- The limits of electronic fetal heart rate monitoring in the prevention of neonatal acidemia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: 163.e1-163.e6
- Guilt, blame and litigation: can an overenthusiastic “safety culture” cause harm?.BJOG. 2016; 124: 71
Fast NJ. How to stop the blame game. Harvard Business Review. May 13, 2010. Available at: https://hbr.org/2010/05/how-to-stop-the-blame-game. Accessed Feb. 7, 2018.
Matray M. The current state of tort reform; Physicians Practice. Available at: http://www.physicianspractice.com/law-malpractice/current-state-tort-reform. Accessed Feb. 7, 2018.
- Medical liability–prospects for tort reform.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1806-1808
- Williams obstetrics.24th ed. McGraw Hill, New York (NY)2014
- Fetal macrosomia. Practice bulletin no. 173.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128 (e195-209)
- Clinical aspects of normal and abnormal labor.in: Creasy R.K. Resnik R. Iams J.D. Maternal fetal medicine. 7th ed. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia (PA)2014
- Uterine contractions in spontaneous labor: a quantitative study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1970; 106: 378-387
- Screening for fetal aneuploidy. Practice bulletin no. 163.Obstet Gyneco. 2016; 127 (e123-37)
- Predicting cesarean delivery after induction of labor among nulliparous women at term.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 1059-1068
- A prospective cohort study of fetal heart rate monitoring: deceleration area is predictive of fetal acidemia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: 523.e1-523.e12
- Cooling for newborns with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 1CD003311
American Academy of Pediatrics. Clinical report: hypothermia and neonatal encephalopathy. Available at: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/pediatrics/133/6/1146.full.pdf. Accessed Feb. 7, 2018.
- Preventing the first cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 5: 1181-1192
- Vaginal birth after cesarean delivery. Practice bulletin no. 184.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130 (e217-33)
- Contemporary patterns of spontaneous labor with normal neonatal outcomes.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 116: 1281-1287
- Dysfunctional labor, VII: A comprehensive program for diagnosis, evaluation and management.Obstet Gynecol. 1965; 25: 844-847
- Active phase labor arrest: oxytocin augmentation for at least 4 hours.Obstet Gynecol. 1999; 93: 323-328
- Active phase labor arrest: revisiting the 2 hour minimum.Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 98: 550-554
- Randomized controlled trial of prolonged second stage: extending the time limit vs usual guidelines.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 361.e1-361.e6
- Reduction in the cesarean delivery rate after obstetric care consensus guidelines.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 145-152
- New labor management guidelines and changes in cesarean delivery patterns.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 217: 689.e1-689.e8
- Impact of recommended changes in labor management for prevention of the primary cesarean section.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: 341.e1-341.e97
- Second stage labor: how long is too long?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 484-489
- Perils of the new labor management guidelines.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: 420-427
- Toward normal birth–but at what cost?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: 439-444
- Reassessing the duration of the second stage of labor in relation to maternal and neonatal morbidity.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 131: 345-353
- Variation in the rates of operative delivery in the United States.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196: 526-527
- Management of category II fetal heart rate patterns: toward standardization of care.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 209: 89-97
- Assessing first stage labor progression and its relationship to complications.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 358.e1-358.e8
- Recognition and response to electronic fetal heart rate patterns–impact on newborn outcomes and primary cesarean delivery rate in women undergoing induction of labor.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: 494.e1-494.e6
Disclosure: Drs Hamilton and Garite have compensated advisory or employment relationships with Perigen Inc. The remaining authors report no conflicts of interest.