Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Uzoma K. Can exercising stop menstrual cramps? Available at: http://www.livestrong.com/article/384938-can-exercising-stop-menstrual-cramps/. Accessed April 10, 2017.
Wilkinson E. Exercise “no aid” for period pain. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/12December/Pages/Exercise-no-relief-for-period-pain.aspx. Accessed April 10, 2017.
Fitness Magazine Editors. 5-Minute workout: relief from cramps. Available at: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/express/5-minute/moves-to-relieve-cramps/. Accessed April 10, 2017.
NHS Choices. Period pain. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/periods-painful/pages/introduction.aspx#Treating. Accessed April 10, 2017.
- Attitudes towards dysmenorrhea, impact and treatment seeking among adolescent girls: a rural school-based survey.Aust J Rural Health. 2010; 19: 218-223
- Primary dysmenorrhea: an urgent mandate.Pain Clin Updates. 2013; 21
- Diagnosis and management of dysmenorrhea.BMJ. 2006; 332: 1134-1138
- What we know about primary dysmenorrhea today: a critical review.Hum Reprod Update. 2015; 21: 762-778
- The natural history of primary dysmenorrhea: a longitudinal study.BJOG. 2004; 111: 342-352
- Prevalence of primary dysmenorrhea in Canada.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2005; 27: 765-770
- Prevalence of pain symptoms suggestive of endometriosis among Finnish adolescent girls (TEENMAPS study).J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2016; 29: 97-103
- Nature and prevalence of menstrual disorders among teenage female students at Zagazig University, Zagazig.Egypt. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2016; 29: 137-142
- Menstrual characteristics of pubertal girls: a questionnaire-based study in Turkey.J Clin Res Pediatr Endocrinol. 2016; 8: 192-196
- Prevalence and impact of dysmenorrhea on Hispanic female adolescents.Arch Pediatr Adolsc Med. 2000; 154: 1226
- Questionnaire study on menstrual disorders in adolescent girls in Singapore.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2009; 22: 365
- Dysmenorrhea, menstrual attitude and GP consultation.Br J Nurs. 1996; 5: 480-484
- Primary dysmenorrhea in young Western Australian women: prevalence, impact, and knowledge of treatment.J Adolesc Health. 1999; 25: 40-45
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs for dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 7: CD001751
- Oral contraceptive pill for primary dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009; 4: CD002120
- Acupuncture for dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 4: CD007854
- Dietary supplements for dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 3: CD002124
- Herbal and dietary therapies for primary and secondary dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001; 3: CD002124
- Spinal manipulation for primary and secondary dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001; 4: CD002119
- Chinese herbal medicine for primary dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; 2: CD005288
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation and acupuncture for primary dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2002; 1: CD002123
- Exercise and primary dysmenorrhea: a comprehensive and critical review of the literature.Sports Med. 2008; 38: 659-670
- Exercise for dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010; 2: CD004142
- Factors predisposing women to chronic pelvic pain: systematic review.BMJ. 2006; 332: 749-755
- The prevalence and risk factors of dysmenorrhea.Epidemiol Rev. 2014; 36: 104-113
- Association of psychologic and nonpsychologic factors with primary dysmenorrhea.Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2014; 16: e16307
- Physical exercise intervention in depressive disorders: meta-analysis and systematic review.Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2014; 24: 259-272
- The effect of exercise on depression, anxiety and other mood states: a review.J Psychosom Res. 1993; 37: 565-574
- Physical activity and exercise for chronic pain in adults: an overview of Cochrane Reviews.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; 4: CD011279
- Regular exercise reverses sensory hypersensitivity in a rat neuropathic pain model: role of endogenous opioids.Anaesthesiology. 2011; 114: 940-948
- Catecholamines, dopamine and endorphin levels during extreme exercise.N Engl J Med. 1981; 305: 466-467
- The effect of running on plasma beta endorphin.Life Sci. 1981; 28: 1637-1640
- Exercise-related changes in plasma levels of 15-keto-13,14-dihydro-prostaglandin F2alpha and noradrenaline in asthmatic and normal subjects.Scand J Respir Dis. 1976; 57: 41-48
- The efficacy and mechanism of yoga treatment for primary dysmenorrhea suffered by female college students.J Physical Educ Guangzhou. 2013; 20: 115-119
- Endocrine disorders in adolescent and young female athletes: impact on growth, menstrual cycles, and bone mass acquisition.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2014; 99: 4037-4050
- Exercise training effects on premenstrual distress and ovarian steroid hormones.Eur J Appl Physiol. 2006; 99: 27-37
- Treatment of dysmenorrhea by exercise.BMJ. 1932; 1: 4-5
- Any questions? Exercises for dysmenorrhea.BMJ. 1960; 1: 71
Smith RP, Kaunitz AM. Patient education: painful menstrual periods (dysmenorrhea). Beyond the basics. Available at: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/painful-menstrual-periods-dysmenorrhea-beyond-the-basics. Accessed April 10, 2017.
American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dysmenorrhea: painful periods. Available at: https://www.acog.org/Patients/FAQs/Dysmenorrhea-Painful-Periods. Accessed Nov. 22, 2017.
- Primary dysmenorrhea and physical activity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998; 30: 906-909
- Effectiveness of exercise therapy on pain and quality of life of patients with primary dysmenorrhea: a systematic review with meta-analysis.Turk J Phys Med Rehab. 2016; 62: 346-354
- A systematic review of randomized controlled trials of the effectiveness of increased physical activity as a treatment option in primary dysmenorrhea.PROSPERO. 2017; (CRD42017062202)
Higgins JPT, Green S, eds. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions. Cochrane Collaboration; 2011. Available at http://handbook-5-1.cochrane.org/. Accessed May 24, 2017.
- PRISMA Group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151 (W64): 264-269
- Exercise interventions on health-related quality of life for people with cancer during active treatment.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 8: CD008465
- Behavioral interventions for dysmenorrhea.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; 3: CD002248
- Developing optimal search strategies for detecting clinically sound treatment studies in EMBASE.J Med Libr Assoc. 2006; 94: 41-47
- PsycINFO search strategies identified methodologically sound therapy studies and review articles for use by clinicians and researchers.J Clin Epidemiol. 2008; 61: 34-40
NICE. Dysmenorrhea. Clinical knowledge summaries. Available at: https://cks.nice.org.uk/dysmenorrhoea#!backgroundsub. Accessed June 7, 2017.
Effective Practice and Organisation of Care (EPOC). Data collection form. EPOC Resources for review authors. Oslo: Norwegian Knowledge Centre for the Health Services; 2013. Available at: http://epoc.cochrane.org/epoc-specific-resources-review-authors. Accesses April 19, 2018.
- Risk of bias versus quality assessment of randomized controlled trials: cross-sectional study.BMJ. 2009; 339: 1017
- The effectiveness of exercise interventions for the management of frailty: a systematic review.J Aging Res. 2011; 2011: 569194
- Comparison of effect of fast and slow Kegels exercises in reducing pain in primary dysmenorrhea: experimental design.Physiother Occup Ther J. 2013; 6: 135-141
- Comparison of aerobic training and pelvic floor muscle exercise on primary dysmenorrhea in adolescent girls.J Clin Nurs Midwifery. 2016; 5: 53-61
- Stretching or core strengthening exercises for managing primary dysmenorrhea.J Womens Health Care. 2016; 5: 1-6
- The effect of 8 weeks aerobic exercise and yoga on primary dysmenorrhea.Armaghane-Danesh Yasuj Univ Med Sci J. 2013; 18: 475-483
- Effect of active stretching exercises on primary dysmenorrhea in college going female students.Indian J Physiother Occup Ther. 2015; 9: 72-76
- Comparison of the effect of stretching exercises and mefenamic acid on the reduction of pain and menstruation characteristics in primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized clinical trial.Oman Med J. 2017; 32: 47-53
- Effect of a physiotherapy program in women with primary dysmenorrhea.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2015; 194: 24-29
- Comparison of the effects of acupressure and self-care behaviors training on the intensity of primary dysmenorrhea based on McGill pain questionnaire among Shiraz University students.J Res Med Sci. 2016; 21: 104
- Effects of a yoga program on menstrual cramps and menstrual distress in undergraduate students with primary dysmenorrhea: a single-blind, randomized controlled trial.J Altern Complement Med. 2016; 22: 732-738
- Physical activity for smoking cessation in pregnancy: randomized controlled trial.BMJ. 2015; 350: h2145
EL Refaye GHA, Okeel FM, Rashed LA, Emara HMH. Efficacy of aerobic exercises in alleviating primary dysmenorrhea. MSc Thesis. Cairo University, Giza, Egypt; 2007.
- Effect of yoga exercise program on dysmenorrhea, menstrual pain and vasopressin of the female university students [master's thesis].Sook Myung Women's University, Seoul, South Korea2009
- Comparing the effects of aerobic and stretching exercises on the intensity of primary dysmenorrhea in the students of universities of Bushehr.J Family Reprod Health. 2015; 9: 23-28
- Effect of home-based stretching exercises and menstrual care on primary dysmenorrhea and premenstrual symptoms among adolescent girls.J Nurs Health Sci. 2016; 5: 10-17
- Effects of stretching exercises on primary dysmenorrhea in adolescent girls.Biomed Hum Kinet. 2012; 4: 127-132
- Effect of yoga on the menstrual pain, physical fitness, and quality of life of young women with primary dysmenorrhea.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2017; 21: 840-846
- Effect of aerobic exercises on primary dysmenorrhea in college students.J Nurs Health Sci. 2016; 5: 20-24
- Effect of three yoga poses (cobra, cat and fish poses) in women with primary dysmenorrhea: a randomized clinical trial.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2011; 24: 192-196
- The effect of brisk walking on primary dysmenorrhea in girl students.Iran J Obstet Gynecol Infertil. 2013; 16: 14-19
Iranian Registry of Clinical Trials. Comparative effectiveness of mefenamic acid capsules, ginger and stretching exercise on primary dysmenorrhea. 2013. Available at: http://en.irct.ir/trial/9309. Accessed April 19, 2018.
- Effect of acupressure on primary dysmenorrhea.Complement Ther Clin Pract. 2011; 17: 33-36
Iranian Registry of Clinical Trials. The effects of two selected types of training on primary dysmenorrhea in adolescent girls. 2014. Available at: http://en.irct.ir/trial/15983. Accessed April 19, 2018.
- Defining a minimal clinically important difference for endometriosis-associated pelvic pain measured on a visual analog scale: analyses of two placebo-controlled, randomized trials.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010; 8: 138
- Effects of aerobic training on primary dysmenorrhea symptomatology in college females.J Am Coll Health. 1985; 33: 241-244
The authors report no conflict of interest.