Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2016 sexually transmitted disease surveillance report.(Available at:)Accessed Sept. 27, 2017)
- From epidemiological synergy to public health policy and practice: the contribution of other sexually transmitted diseases to sexual transmission of HIV infection.Sex Transm Infect. 1999; 75: 3-17
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sexually transmitted disease surveillance 2016 national profile—Chlamydia.(Available at:)Accessed Sept. 27, 2017)
- Recurrent chlamydial infections increase the risks of hospitalization for ectopic pregnancy and pelvic inflammatory disease.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 176: 103-107
- Repeat infection with Chlamydia and gonorrhea among females: a systematic review of the literature.Sex Transm Dis. 2009; 26: 478-489
- Expedited partner treatment for sexually transmitted infections: an update.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2011; 13: 188-195
- Patient-delivered partner treatment with azithromycin to prevent repeated Chlamydia trachomatis infection among women: a randomized, controlled trial.Sex Transm Dis. 2003; 30: 49-56
- Expedited partner therapy: a robust intervention.Sex Transm Dis. 2010; 37: 602-607
- The impact of prescriptions on sex partner treatment using expedited partner therapy for Chlamydia trachomatis infection, New York City, 2014–2015.Sex Transm Dis. 2016; 43: 673-678
- The expedited partner therapy continuum: a conceptual framework to guide programmatic efforts to increase partner treatment.Sex Transm Dis. 2016; 43: S63-S75
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Legal status of expedited partner therapy.(Available at:)Accessed Dec. 5, 2017)
EvergreenHealth. Maryland 2015 Pharmacy Directory. Available at: https://www.evergreenmd.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/EHAML201518_PharmacyList_d11.pdf. Accessed February 11, 2017.
- Maryland Board of Pharmacy.(Available at:)Accessed May 15, 2017)
- Baltimore City Health Department (Maryland Department of Health web site).(Available at:)Accessed June 9, 2017)
- Baltimore City Health Department. Baltimore City 2015 map of chlamydia rates by ZIP code.(Available at:)Accessed February 11, 2017)
- US Department of Agriculture. USDA food access research atlas (United States Department of Agriculture web site).(Available at:)Accessed June 10, 2017)
- US Census Bureau. 2011–2015 ACS 5-year summary file.(Available AT:)Accessed June 10, 2017)
- State of Maryland. Maryland Code: Health-General §18-214.1.(Available at:)Accessed June 10, 2017)
- Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Expedited partner therapy regulations.(Available at:)Accessed June 10, 2017)
- Nonprescription naloxone and syringe sales in the midst of opioid overdose and hepatitis C virus epidemics: Massachusetts, 2015.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2017; 57: S34
- ‘Pharmacy deserts’ are prevalent in Chicago’s predominantly minority communities, raising medication access concerns.Health Affairs. 2014; 33: 1958-1965
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. STDs in racial and ethnic minorities.(Available at:)Accessed July 10, 2017)
- Impact of expedited partner therapy (EPT) implementation on chlamydia incidence in the USA.Sex Transm Infect. 2017 May 17; (pii: sextrans-2016-052887. https://doi.org/10.1136/sextrans-2016-052887. [Epub ahead of print])
- Pharmacists’ knowledge and practices surrounding expedited partner therapy for chlamydia trachomatis, New York City, 2012 and 2014.Sex Transm Dis. 2016; 43: 679-684
- Drug Enforcement Administration. Valid prescription requirements. US Department of Justice.(Available at:)Accessed Aug. 1, 2017)
- Department of Legislative Services. Assessing the impact of healthcare reform in Maryland.(Available at:)Accessed Dec. 15, 2017)
- US Census Bureau. Health insurance coverage in the United States: 2016.(Available at:)Accessed Dec. 15, 2017)
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 2015 sexually transmitted diseases guidelines—special populations.(Available at:)Accessed Dec. 15, 2017)
- US Census Bureau. Relationship files.(Available at:)Accessed June 17, 2017)
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Qin JZ, Diniz CP, Coleman JS. Pharmacy-level barriers to implementing expedited partner therapy in Baltimore, Maryland. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018;218:504.e1-6.