Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Epidemiology of urinary incontinence (UI) and other lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS), pelvic organ prolapse (POP) and anal incontinence (AI).in: Abrams P. Cardozo L. Khoury S. Wein A. 5th International Consultation on Incontinence. Health Publications, Ltd, Paris2013: 15-108
- The impact of overactive bladder, incontinence and other lower urinary tract symptoms on quality of life, work productivity, sexuality and emotional well-being in men and women: results from the EPIC study.BJU Int. 2008; 101: 1388-1395
- Economics of urinary and faecal incontinence, and prolapse.in: Abrams P. Cordozo L. Koury S. Wein A. Incontinence. Health Publications, Ltd, Paris2012: 1685-1712
- Prolapse and continence surgery in countries of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in 2012.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 212: 755.e1-755.e27
- Lifetime risk of stress urinary incontinence or pelvic organ prolapse surgery.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 1201-1206
- Mid-urethral sling operations for stress urinary incontinence in women.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; : CD006375
- Surgical management of pelvic organ prolapse in women.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 4: CD004014
NIDDK, Office of Research on Women’s H, National Institute on A. Prevention of Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Women: Bladder Health Clinical Centers (PLUS-CCs) (U01). National Institutes of Health, 2014 website: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-DK-14-004.html.
- Validation of the Framingham coronary heart disease prediction scores: results of a multiple ethnic groups investigation.JAMA. 2001; 286: 180-187
- Clinical risk factors, DNA variants, and the development of type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 2220-2232
- Prediction models for postpartum urinary and fecal incontinence in primiparous women.Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2013; 19: 110-118
- UR-CHOICE: can we provide mothers-to-be with information about the risk of future pelvic floor dysfunction?.Int Urogynecol J. 2014; 25: 1449-1452
- Prevalence and risk factors for pelvic organ prolapse 20 years after childbirth: a national cohort study in singleton primiparae after vaginal or caesarean delivery.BJOG. 2013; 120: 152-160
- Exclusive caesarean section delivery and subsequent urinary and faecal incontinence: a 12-year longitudinal study.BJOG. 2011; 118: 1001-1007
- A model for predicting the risk of de novo stress urinary incontinence in women undergoing pelvic organ prolapse surgery.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 279-287
- The wisdom of crowds of doctors: their average predictions outperform their individual ones.Med Decis Making. 2016; 36: 536-540
- Transparent reporting of a multivariable prediction model for Individual Prognosis or Diagnosis (TRIPOD): the TRIPOD statement.J Clin Epidemiol. 2015; 68: 134-143
- The prevalence of urinary incontinence 20 years after childbirth: a national cohort study in singleton primiparae after vaginal or caesarean delivery.BJOG. 2013; 120: 144-151
- Psychometric properties of the pelvic organ prolapse symptom score.BJOG. 2009; 116: 25-31
- A short-form questionnaire identified genital organ prolapse.J Clin Epidemiol. 2005; 58: 41-46
- Validation of a severity index in female urinary incontinence and its implementation in an epidemiological survey.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1993; 47: 497-499
- Etiology and management of fecal incontinence.Dis Colon Rectum. 1993; 36: 77-97
- Multiple imputation using chained equations: issues and guidance for practice.Stat Med. 2011; 30: 377-399
Harrell FE. Regression modeling strategies: with applications to linear models, logistic regression, and survival analysis. New York: Springer; 2001.
- Update on the UK law on consent.BMJ. 2015; 350 (h1481)
- National Institutes of Health state-of-the-science conference statement: prevention of fecal and urinary incontinence in adults.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148: 449-458
- Cesarean delivery on maternal request: maternal and neonatal outcomes.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 108: 1517-1529
- Pelvic floor muscle training for secondary prevention of pelvic organ prolapse (PREVPROL): a multicentre randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2017; 389: 393-402
National Cancer I. Theory at a glance: a guide for health promotion practice. US Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health; 2012 (vol 2016).
- Validation of the Gail et al model of breast cancer risk prediction and implications for chemoprevention.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001; 93: 358-366
Supported in Sweden by a national grant (no. 11315) and grants from the Region of Västra Götaland, the Göteborg Medical Society and the Hjalmar Svenssons Fund, Sweden, and, in the UK/New Zealand, by the Wellbeing of Women/Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and the Health Research Council of New Zealand.
The study sponsors did not participate in the study design, collection, analysis and interpretation of the data; the writing of the report or the decision to submit the paper for publication.
Dr Jelovsek receives royalties from UpToDate; Dr Barber receives royalties from UpToDate, Elsevier; Dr Gyhagen receives an honoraria from Astellas Pharma for speaker participation; Mr Elders receives statistical consulting fees and support consisting of travel for relevant meetings from University of Gothenburg; Dr Milsom received a grant (National LUA/ALF Grant no 11315) and an honorarium for lecture from SCA, Astellas Pharma, Allergan. Remaining authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Jelovsek JE, Chagin K, Gyhagen M, et al. Predicting risk of pelvic floor disorders 12 and 20 years after delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018;218:222.e1-19.