Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Prevalence of symptomatic pelvic floor disorders in US women.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1311-1316
- Comparison of levator ani muscle defects and function in women with and without pelvic organ prolapse.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 109: 295-302
- Prevalence and trends of symptomatic pelvic floor disorders in US. women.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 141-148
- Pelvic floor damage and childbirth: a neurophysiological study.Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 1990; 97: 770-779
- Levator ani muscle anatomy evaluated by origin-insertion pairs.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 104: 168-173
- Autonomic-somatic communications in the human pelvis: computer-assisted anatomic dissection in male and female fetuses.J Anat. 2011; 219: 565-573
- Levator ani muscle innervation: Anatomical study in human fetus.Neurourol Urodyn. 2017; 36: 1464-1471
Rouvière H, Delmas A. Anatomie humaine. Vol 3. 15ème. Masson; 2002;319-508.
- Female longitudinal anal muscles or conjoint longitudinal coats extend into the subcutaneous tissue along the vaginal vestibule: a histological study using human fetuses.Yonsei Med J. 2013; 54: 778-784
- Histo-topographic study of the longitudinal anal muscle.Clin Anat. 2008; 21: 447-452
- The urethral rhabdosphincter, levator ani muscle, and perineal membrane: a review.Biomed Res Int. 2014; 2014: 906921
- Correlation of fetal age and measurements between 10 and 26 weeks of gestation.Obstet Gynecol. 1984; 63: 26-32
- A simple method of isolating mouse aortic endothelial cells.J Atheroscler Thromb. 2005; 12: 138-142
- Expression of myogenic regulatory proteins (myogenin and MyoD1) in small blue round cell tumors of childhood.Am J Pathol. 1995; 147: 1799-1810
- Axonal prion protein is required for peripheral myelin maintenance.Nat Neurosci. 2010; 13: 310-318
- Pelvic nerve plexus trauma at radical and simple hysterectomy: a quantitative study of nerve types in the uterine supporting ligaments.J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2002; 9: 47-56
- Molecular biology of the vesicular ACh transporter.Trends Neurosci. 1995; 18: 218-224
- Neural supply to the clitoris: immunohistochemical study with three-dimensional reconstruction of cavernous nerve, spongious nerve, and dorsal clitoris nerve in human fetus.J Sex Med. 2011; 8: 1112-1122
- Topography of the pelvic autonomic nerves in human fetuses between 21-29 weeks of gestation.Anat Embryol (Berl). 1989; 180: 57-64
- Development of the pelvic plexus in human embryos and fetuses and its relationship with the pelvic viscera.Eur J Morphol. 1993; 31: 193-208
- Levator ani muscle: new physioanatomical aspects and role in the micturition mechanism.World J Urol. 1999; 17: 266-273
- The integral theory of continence.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2008; 19: 35-40
- Etiology of the resting myoelectric activity of the levator ani muscle: physioanatomic study with a new theory.World J Surg. 2003; 27: 309-314
- Anococcygeal raphe revisited: a histological study using mid-term human fetuses and elderly cadavers.Yonsei Med J. 2012; 53: 849-855
- The anatomical components of urinary continence.Eur Urol. 2009; 55: 932-943
- A structural constitutive model for smooth muscle contraction in biological tissues.Int J Non Linear Mech. 2015; 75: 46-53
- Structural support of the urethra as it relates to stress urinary incontinence: the hammock hypothesis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1994; 170: 1713-1723
- What are the supportive structures of the female urethra?.Neurourol Urodyn. 2006; 25: 128-134
- The role of the levator ani muscle in evacuation, sexual performance and pelvic floor disorders.Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2000; 11: 361-376
- The effect of rehabilitation exercises combined with direct vagina low voltage low frequency electric stimulation on pelvic nerve electrophysiology and tissue function in primiparous women: a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Nurs. 2017; (epub ahead of print)
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Nyangoh Timoh K, Moszkowicz D, Zaitouna M, et al. Detailed muscular structure and neural control anatomy of the levator ani muscle: a study based on female human fetuses. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018;218:121.e1-12.