Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Jones RK, Jerman J. Abortion incidence and service availability in the United States, 2014. Perspect Sex Reprod Health 2017;49:17-27.
- Women's experiences of the final stage of early medical abortion at home: results of a pilot survey.J Fam Plan Reprod Health Care. 2010; 36: 213-216
- Effect of mifepristone on abortion access in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 623-630
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Health and Human Services. US medical eligibility criteria for contraceptive use, 2010. MMWR Morb Mort Wkly Rep 2010;59:2.
- Immediate postabortal insertion of intrauterine devices.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004; : CD001777
- Medical management of first-trimester abortion. ACOG Practice bulletin no. 143.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 123: 676-692
- Immediate postabortion access to IUDs, implants and DMPA reduces repeat pregnancy within 1 year in a New York City practice.Contraception. 2014; 89: 103-108
- Immediate postabortal insertion of intrauterine devices.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; : CD001777
- Immediate versus delayed IUD insertion after uterine aspiration.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 2208-2217
- Immediate vs. delayed post-abortal Copper T 380A IUD insertion in cases over 12 weeks of gestation.Contraception. 2011; 83: 522-527
- Effect of immediate compared with delayed insertion of etonogestrel implants on medical abortion efficacy and repeat pregnancy.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 127: 306-312
- Immediate versus delayed insertion of an etonogestrel releasing implant at medical abortion-a randomized controlled equivalence trial.Hum Reprod. 2016; 31: 2484-2490
- Funding policies and postabortion long-acting reversible contraception: results from a cluster randomized trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 716.e1
- Reductions in pregnancy rates in the USA with long-acting reversible contraception: a cluster randomised trial.Lancet. 2015; 386: 562-568
- Family planning: a global handbook for providers.World Health Organization and Center for Communication Programs, Geneva (Switzerland) and Baltimore (MD)2007
- Recommendations to improve preconception health and health care, United States: a report of the CEDC/ATSDR preconception care work group and the select panel on preconception care.MMWR Morb Mort Wkly Rep. 2006; 55: 1-23
- Public funding for contraception, provider training, and use of highly effective contraceptives: a cluster randomized trial.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 541-546
- State policies in brief: Medicaid family planning eligibility expansions, insurance coverage of contraceptives, state family planning funding restrictions, state funding of abortion under Medicaid, and counseling and waiting periods for abortion.Guttmacher Institute, New York (NY)2011 (Available at:)Accessed Oct. 23, 2014)
- Modern Epidemiology.3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia (PA)2008: 260-262
- Multiple imputation by chained equations: what is it and how does it work?.Int J Methods Psychiatr Res. 2011; 20: 40-49
- Intrauterine contraception after medical abortion: factors affecting success of early insertion.Contraception. 2016; 95: 257-262
- Efficacy of early induced medical abortion with mifepristone when beginning progestin-only contraception on the same day.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2016; 133: 329-333
- Progestin-based contraceptive on the same day as medical abortion.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2016; 133: 217-220
- Effects of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate injection timing on medical abortion efficacy and repeat pregnancy: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 128: 739-745
- Can ultrasound predict IUD expulsion after medical abortion?.Contraception. 2014; 89: 434-439
- Contraceptive policies affect post-abortion provision of long-acting reversible contraception.Contraception. 2011; 83: 41-47
- Contraceptive care at the time of medical abortion: experiences of women and health professionals in a hospital or community sexual and reproductive health context.Contraception. 2016; 93: 170-177
- Understanding women's desires for contraceptive counseling at the time of first-trimester surgical abortion.Contraception. 2014; 89: 36-41
- Guarding against coercion while ensuring access: a delicate balance.Guttmacher Pol Rev. 2014; 17: 8-14
- Celebration meets caution: LARC's boons, potential busts, and the benefits of a reproductive justice approach.Contraception. 2014; 89: 237-241
The views expressed herein are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of Planned Parenthood Federation of America, Inc.
The supporting entities of this study had no role in the study design; collection, analysis, and interpretation of the data; writing of the report; or in the decision to submit the article for publication to the Journal.
This study was funded by the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation. Intrauterine device demonstration units for the intervention training were provided by Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries and Bayer HealthCare. The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy provided a small grant to produce the patient education video. Support was also received from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Office of Research on Women’s Health, and Bridging Interdisciplinary Research on Women’s Health grant 2K12 HD052163.
Dr Cadwallader is a Nexplanon trainer (Merck). The other authors report no conflicts of interest.
Cite this article as: Rocca CH, Goodman S, Grossman D, et al. Contraception after medication abortion in the United States: results from a cluster randomized trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2018;218:107.e1-8.