Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Office-based surgical and medical procedures: educational gaps.The Ochsner Journal. 2012; 12: 383-388
- ACOG Committee Opinion No. 447: Patient safety in obstetrics and gynecology.Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 114: 1424-1427
Shapiro FE. Manual of office-based anesthesia procedures. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007.
- Prospective randomized trial of simulation versus didactic teaching for obstetrical emergencies.Simul Healthc. 2010; 5: 40-45
- Simulation-based crisis team training for multidisciplinary obstetric providers.Simul Healthc. 2009; 4: 77-83
- Does simulation improve patient safety? Self-efficacy, competence, operational performance, and patient safety.Anesthesiol Clin. 2007; 25: 225-236
- Self-perceived impact of simulation-based training on the management of real-life obstetrical emergencies.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2011; 159: 72-76
- Simulation-based training is superior to problem-based learning for the acquisition of critical assessment and management skills.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: 151-157
- The Oxford NOTECHS System: reliability and validity of a tool for measuring teamwork behaviour in the operating theatre.Qual Saf Health Care. 2009; 18: 104-108
- Kohn L.T. Corrigan J.M. Donaldson M.S. To err is human: building a safer health system. National Academy Press, Washington (DC)1999
- Kurt Lewin and the planned approach to change: a reappraisal.J Management Studies. 2004; 41: 977-1002
- Obstetric skills drills: evaluation of teaching methods.Nurs Educ Today. 2007; 27: 915-922
- The effectiveness of high fidelity simulation on medical-surgical registered nurses' ability to recognize and respond to clinical emergencies.Nurs Educ Today. 2011; 31: 716-721
- Simulation training for surgical residents in pediatric trauma scenarios.Conn Med. 2012; 76: 159-162
- High fidelity medical simulation in the difficult environment of a helicopter: feasibility, self-efficacy and cost.BMC Med Educ. 2006; 6: 49
- Multidisciplinary team training in a simulation setting for acute obstetric emergencies: a systematic review.Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 115: 1021-1031
- The role of simulation training in obstetrics: a healthcare training strategy dedicated to performance improvement.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 25: 482-486
Supported by a grant from the Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO) Medical Education Endowment Fund and a grant from the University of New Mexico Scholarship in Education Allocations Committee (SEAC).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Espey E, Baty G, Rask J, et al. Emergency in the clinic: a simulation curriculum to improve outpatient safety. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;217:699.e1-13.