Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
United States Food and Drug Administration. FDA drug safety communication: FDA review results in new warnings about using general anesthetics and sedation drugs in young children and pregnant women. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm532356.htm. Accessed Feb. 10, 2017.
- Blockade of NMDA receptors and apoptotic neurodegeneration in the developing brain.Science. 1999; 283: 70-74
- Early exposure to common anesthetic agents causes widespread neurodegeneration in the developing rat brain and persistent learning deficits.J Neurosci. 2003; 23: 876-882
- Potential of ketamine and midazolam, individually or in combination, to induce apoptotic neurodegeneration in the infant mouse brain.Br J Pharmacol. 2005; 146: 189-197
- Comparison of the neuroapoptotic properties of equipotent anesthetic concentrations of desflurane, isoflurane, or sevoflurane in neonatal mice.Anesthesiology. 2011; 114: 578-587
- Isoflurane-induced apoptosis of oligodendrocytes in the neonatal primate brain.Ann Neurol. 2012; 72: 525-535
- Ketamine-induced neuroapoptosis in the fetal and neonatal rhesus macaque brain.Anesthesiology. 2012; 116: 372-384
- Propofol-induced apoptosis of neurones and oligodendrocytes in fetal and neonatal rhesus macaque brain.Br J Anaesth. 2013; 110: i29-i38
- Isoflurane-induced apoptosis of neurons and oligodendrocytes in the fetal rhesus macaque brain.Anesthesiology. 2014; 120: 626-638
- Rats exposed to isoflurane in utero during early gestation are behaviorally abnormal as adults.Anesthesiology. 2011; 114: 521-528
- Neonatal anesthetic neurotoxicity: insight into the molecular mechanisms of long-term neurocognitive deficits.Biomed Pharmacother. 2017; 87: 196-199
- Repeated isoflurane exposure and neuroapoptosis in the midgestation fetal sheep brain.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 542.e1-542.e8
- Nociceptive stimuli enhance anesthetic-induced neuroapoptosis in the rat developing brain.Neurobiol Dis. 2012; 45: 743-750
- Systemic physiology and neuroapoptotic profiles in young and adult rats exposed to surgery: a randomized controlled study comprising four different anesthetic techniques.Int J Dev Neurosci. 2015; 45: 11-18
- Choice of anesthesia for cesarean delivery: an analysis of the national anesthesia clinical outcomes registry.Anesth Analg. 2017; 124: 1914-1917
- Anesthesia for cesarean delivery and learning disabilities in a population-based birth cohort.Anesthesiology. 2009; 111: 302-310
- Risk of autism associated with general anesthesia during cesarean delivery: a population-based birth-cohort analysis.J Autism Dev Disord. 2015; 45: 932-942
- Anesthesia for nonobstetric surgery: maternal and fetal considerations.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 52: 535-545
- A randomized trial of prenatal versus postnatal repair of myelomeningocele.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 993-1004
North American Fetal Therapy Network. Database of fetal procedures in North America. Available at: https://www.naftnet.org. Accessed March 15, 2016.
- Endoscopic laser surgery versus serial amnioreduction for severe twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 136-144
- Feasibility and outcomes of fetoscopic tracheal occlusion for severe left diaphragmatic hernia.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 129: 20-29
- Mid-gestation brain Doppler and head biometry in fetuses with congenital heart disease predict abnormal brain development at birth.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 47: 65-73
- Developmental and neurologic status of children after heart surgery with hypothermic circulatory arrest or low-flow cardiopulmonary bypass.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 549-555
- Should what we know about neurobehavioral development, complex congenital heart disease, and brain maturation affect the timing of corrective cardiac surgery?.Paediatr Anaesth. 2011; 21: 781-786
- Neurobehavioral abnormalities in newborns with congenital heart disease requiring open-heart surgery.J Pediatr. 2011; 158: 678-681.e2
- Association between a single general anesthesia exposure before age 36 months and neurocognitive outcomes in later childhood.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2312-2320
- Supplementing desflurane with intravenous anesthesia reduces fetal cardiac dysfunction during open fetal surgery.Paediatr Anaesth. 2010; 20: 748-756
- Is propofol neurotoxic to the developing brain?.Can J Anaesth. 2006; 53: 1069-1073
The authors report no conflict of interest.