Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Prevalence of bacterial vaginosis: 2001-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey data.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 109: 114-120
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Bacterial vaginosis statistics. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/std/bv/stats.htm. Accessed Dec. 6, 2016.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. STD treatment guidelines. Bacterial vaginosis. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/std/tg2015/bv.htm. Accessed Dec. 6, 2016.
- Current treatment of bacterial vaginosis–limitations and need for innovation.J Infect Dis. 2016; 214: S14-S20
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sexually transmitted diseases treatment guidelines, 2015.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2015; 64: 1-137
- Patient compliance with antibiotic treatment for respiratory tract infections.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2002; 49: 897-903
- Personal digital assistants used to document compliance of bacterial vaginosis treatment.Sex Transm Dis. 2004; 31: 488-491
- Determinants of non-compliance with short term antibiotic regimens.Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1987; 295: 814-818
- Compliance in anti-infective medicine.Adv Stud Med. 2006; 6: S652-S658
- Secnidazole. A review of its antimicrobial activity, pharmacokinetic properties and therapeutic use in the management of protozoal infections and bacterial vaginosis.Drugs. 1996; 51: 621-638
Petrina M, Cosentino L, Rabe L, Hillier SL. Susceptibility of bacterial vaginosis (BV)-associated bacteria to secnidazole, metronidazole, tinidazole and clindamycin. Presented at: 43rd annual meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society for Obstetrics and Gynecology; August 11-13, 2016; Annapolis, MD.
- Secnidazole treatment of bacterial vaginosis: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 379-386
- US Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. Bacterial vaginosis: developing drugs for treatment. Guidance for industry.US Food and Drug Administration, Rockville (MD)2016
Schwebke JR, Morgan F, Koltun W, et al. Results from a phase 3, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study confirming efficacy/safety of a single, oral dose study of SYM-1219 for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis. Presented at: 43rd annual meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society for Obstetrics and Gynecology; Aug. 11-13, 2016; Annapolis, MD.
- Lack of a pharmacokinetic interaction between SYM-1219 granules containing 2 grams of secnidazole and a combined oral contraceptive in a phase 1, randomized, open-label study in healthy female volunteers.Adv Ther. 2017; 33: 2229-2241
- Amoebecide and trichomonacide activities of secnidazole in the laboratory [in French].Bull Soc Pathol Exot Filiales. 1976; 69: 309-319
- Treatment of bacterial vaginosis with oral or vaginal ornidazole, secnidazole and metronidazole.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1998; 62: 59-61
- Low-dose secnidazole in the treatment of bacterial vaginosis.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2005; 88: 281-285
- Treatment of bacterial vaginosis: a multicenter, double-blind, double-dummy, randomized phase III study comparing secnidazole and metronidazole.Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 2010
- A comparative study of oral single dose of metronidazole, tinidazole, secnidazole and ornidazole in bacterial vaginosis.Indian J Pharmacol. 2012; 44: 243-245
- Secnidazole. A 5-nitroimidazole derivative with a long half-life.Br J Vener Dis. 1978; 54: 77-80
- Efficacy of the Mentha crispa in the treatment of women with Trichomonas vaginalis infection.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012; 286: 125-130
- Tindamax [package insert]. Mission Pharmacal Company, San Antonio, TX2014
- (metronidazole) [prescribing information].GD Searle, a Division of Pfizer, New York, NY2016
The study was funded by Symbiomix Therapeutics.
Dr Schwebke received grant funding from Symbiomix Therapeutics, BD Diagnostics, Hologic, Curatek Pharmaceuticals, Toltec Pharmaceuticals, Alfa Wasserman, StarPharma, and LabCorp of America. She is also a paid consultant for Symbiomix Therapeutics. Dr Nyirjesy received grant funding from Symbiomix Therapeutics, BD Diagnostics, Curatek Pharmaceuticals, and Alfa Wasserman SpA. He is also a paid consultant for Hologic, Perrigo Company, and Symbiomix Therapeutics. Drs Morgan and Koltun report no conflicts of interest.
Cite this article as: Schwebke JR, Morgan FG Jr, Koltun W, et al. A phase-3, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the effectiveness and safety of single oral doses of secnidazole 2 g for the treatment of women with bacterial vaginosis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;217:678.e1-9.