Study Appraisal and Synthesis Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Trends in contraceptive use worldwide. In: Department of Economic and Social Affairs PD, ed. New York: United Nations; 2015.
- Drug interactions between oral contraceptives and antibiotics.Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 98: 853-860
Guidance for industry: Drug interaction studies - study design, data analysis, implications for dosing, and labeling recommendations. In: Food and Drug Administration, ed. 2012. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/UCM292362.pdf. Accessed June 7, 2017.
- Survey of pharmacists and physicians on drug interactions between combined oral contraceptives and broad-spectrum antibiotics.Pharm Pract (Granada). 2009; 7: 139-144
Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use: World Health Organization, 2015. Available at: http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/family_planning/MEC-5/en/. Accessed May 18, 2017.
United States medical eligibility criteria for contraceptive use, 2016. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 65;3:1-103.
- PRISMA group. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000097
US Preventative Services Task Force. Grade definitions. 2016. Available at: https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Name/grade-definitions#grade-definitions-after-may-2007. Accessed June 7, 2017.
- Drug interactions between hormonal contraceptives and psychotropic drugs: a systematic review.Contraception. 2016; 94: 650-667
- Effect of chemotherapy agents and antibiotics on hormonal contraception [German].Z Arztl Fortbild. 1978; 72: 924-926
- Oral contraceptive failure rates and oral antibiotics.J Am Acad Dermatol. 1997; 36: 705-710
- The risk of unintended pregnancies in users of the contraceptive patch compared to users of oral contraceptives in the UK General practice research database.Contraception. 2009; 80: 142-151
- Antibiotics and oral contraceptive failure: a case-crossover study.Contraception. 2011; 83: 418-425
- Are antibiotics related to oral combination contraceptive failures in the Netherlands? A case-crossover study.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012; 21: 865-871
- The effect of ampicillin on oral contraceptive effectiveness.Obstet Gynecol. 1980; 55: 33-37
- The effects of ampicillin on oral contraceptive steroids in women.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1982; 14: 43-48
- A study of interaction of low-dose combination oral contraceptive with ampicillin and metronidazole.Contraception. 1980; 22: 643-652
- Studies on the role of intestinal bacteria in metabolism of synthetic and natural steroid hormones.J Steroid Biochem. 1984; 20: 217-229
- Plasma and urine levels produced by an oral dose of ampicillin 0.5 G administered to women taking oral contraceptives.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1979; 58: 69-71
- Two aspects of the availability of cephalosporins after intramuscular injection.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1975; 1: 47-52
- The effect of tetracyclines on levels of oral contraceptives.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 164: 28-33
- The effect of doxycycline on serum levels of ethinyl estradiol, norethindrone, and endogenous progesterone.Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 77: 416-420
- Lack of influence of ciprofloxacin on the effectiveness of oral contraceptives.Drugs. 1993; 46: 286-287
- No interaction between ciprofloxacin and an oral contraceptive.Antimicrob Agent Chemother. 1998; 42: 3266-3268
- The effect of ciprofloxacin on oral contraceptive steroid treatments.Drugs Exp Clin Res. 1991; 17: 451-454
- Risk for ovulation in women taking a low-dose oral contraceptive (microgynon) when receiving antibacterial treatment with a fluoroquinolone (ofloxacin).Adv Contracept. 1996; 12: 101-109
- The lack of interaction between temafloxacin and combined oral contraceptive steroids.Contraception. 1991; 43: 317-323
- Effect of hormonal contraceptives on the pharmacokinetics of trovafloxacin in women.Clin Drug Investig. 2001; 21: 281-286
- Effects of oral contraceptives on the pharmacokinetics of moxifloxacin in premenopausal women.Clin Drug Investig. 2002; 22: 429-434
- A model to detect interactions between roxithromycin and oral contraceptives.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 1990; 47: 671-674
- The interaction between clarithromycin and combined oral-contraceptive steroids.J Pharm Med. 1991; 1: 81-87
- Dirithromycin increases ethinyl estradiol clearance without allowing ovulation.Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 86: 78-84
- Evaluation of the effects of rifampicin, ketoconazole and erythromycin on the steady-state pharmacokinetics of the components of a novel oral contraceptive containing estradiol valerate and dienogest in healthy postmenopausal women.Contraception. 2012; 86: 337-344
- Influence of body weight, ethnicity, oral contraceptives, and pregnancy on the pharmacokinetics of azithromycin in women of childbearing age.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012; 56: 715-724
- Norethisterone and ethinyl estradiol kinetics during dapsone therapy.J Assoc Physicians India. 1984; 32: 191-193
- Compatibility of oral contraceptive with anti-tubercular chemotherapy in female pulmonary tuberculosis patients.Indian J Med Res. 1974; 62: 1782-1786
- Effects of erythromycin at steady-state concentrations on the pharmacokinetics of ulipristal acetate.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2013; 38: 512-517
- Absence of pharmacokinetic interactions of the combined contraceptive vaginal ring NuvaRing with oral amoxicillin or doxycycline in two randomized trials.Clin Pharmacokinet. 2005; 44: 429-438
- Clinical gynecologic endocrinology and infertility.8th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia2011
- Contraceptive failure in the United States.Contraception. 2011; 83: 397-404
- Antibiotic interference with oral contraceptives.J Am Dent Assoc. 2002; 133: 880
- The elusive minimum threshold concentration of levonorgestrel for contraceptive efficacy.Contraception. 2016; 94: 104-108
- Metabolism and pharmacokinetics of contraceptive steroids in obese women: a review.Contraception. 2010; 82: 314-323
- Interactions between oral contraceptives and antifungals/antibacterials. Is contraceptive failure the result?.Clin Pharmacokinet. 1999; 36: 309-313
- Oral contraceptives and individual variability of circulating levels of ethinyl estradiol and progestins.Contraception. 2008; 78: 4-9
- Antibiotics and oral contraceptives: new considerations for dental practice.Br Dent J. 2012; 212: 481-483
Hormonal agents: Recommendations: American Academy of Dermatology Association. Available at: https://www.aad.org/practicecenter/quality/clinical-guidelines/acne/hormonal-agents. Accessed June 13, 2017.
The authors report no conflict of interest.
The findings and conclusions in this report are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official position of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.