Lately I have found myself asking one question over and over again: “Where do I fit?” I am young, I am black, and I am male. I completed both an MD and a PhD in medical school. And I decided to pursue a residency in obstetrics and gynecologic (OBGYN), which has one of the lowest percentages of MD-PhDs of any residency subspecialty in the United States. So, plainly put, where do I fit?
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Physician satisfaction and burnout at different career stages.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 1358-1367
American Council for Graduate Medical Education. Data Resource Book: Academic Year 2012-2013. Available at: http://www.acgme.org/About-Us/Publications-and-Resources/Graduate-Medical-Education-Data-Resource-Book. Accessed August 1, 2017.
- Comparison of robotic-assisted laparoscopy versus conventional laparoscopy on skill acquisition and performance.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 54: 376-381
- Isn't it time to separate the O from the G?.J Min Invasive Gynecol. 2014; 21: 501-503
- Diversity in graduate medical education in the United States by race, ethnicity, and sex, 2012.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1706-1708
- Graduate Medical Education, 2015-2016.JAMA. 2016; 316: 2291-2310
- Primary care physicians who treat blacks and whites.N Engl J Med. 2004; 351: 575-584
- Patient-centered communication, ratings of care, and concordance of patient and physician race.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 139: 907-915
- Charting outcomes in the match for US allopathic seniors, 2016.National Resident Matching Program, Washington, DC2016
Published online: June 30, 2017
Accepted: June 26, 2017
Received: April 25, 2017
The author reports no conflict of interest.
© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.