Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- births: final data for 2008.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2011; 59 (3-71): 1
- Maternal-fetal medicine principles and practice.Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia2013
- Epidemiology and causes of preterm birth.Lancet. 2008; 371: 75-84
- The preterm prediction study: association of second-trimester genitourinary chlamydia infection with subsequent spontaneous preterm birth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2000; 183: 662-668
- The preterm prediction study: significance of vaginal infections. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units Network.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 173: 1231-1235
- The role of bacterial vaginosis and vaginal bacteria in amniotic fluid infection in women in preterm labor with intact fetal membranes.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 20: s276-s278
- Association between bacterial vaginosis and preterm delivery of a low-birth-weight infant. The Vaginal Infections and Prematurity Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1737-1742
- Adverse outcome in pregnancy following amniotic fluid isolation of ureaplasma urealyticum.Prenat Diagn. 1992; 12: 111-117
- The role of inflammation and infection in preterm birth.Semin Reprod Med. 2007; 25: 21-39
- Infection in the pathogenesis of preterm labor.Semin Perinatol. 1988; 12: 262-279
- A randomized placebo-controlled trial of erythromycin for the treatment of ureaplasma urealyticum to prevent premature delivery. The Vaginal Infections and Prematurity Study Group.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 164: 734-742
- metronidazole to prevent preterm delivery in pregnant women with asymptomatic bacterial vaginosis. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Network of Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 534-540
- Broad-spectrum antibiotics for spontaneous preterm labour: the oracle ii randomised trial. oracle collaborative group.Lancet. 2001; 357: 989-994
- Prophylactic antibiotics for inhibiting preterm labour with intact membranes.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 12: cd000246
- failure of metronidazole to prevent preterm delivery among pregnant women with asymptomatic trichomonas vaginalis infection.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 487-493
- Vaginal microbiome of reproductive-age women.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010; 108: 4680-4687
- Metagenomic-based approach to a comprehensive characterization of the vaginal microbiome signature in pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 204: s42
- The composition and stability of the vaginal microbiota of normal pregnant women is different from that of non-pregnant women.Microbiome. 2014; 2: 4
- Diversity of the vaginal microbiome correlates with preterm birth.Reprod Sci. 2014; 21: 32-40
- The vaginal microbiota of pregnant women who subsequently have spontaneous preterm labor and delivery and those with a normal delivery at term.Microbiome. 2014; 2: 18
- temporal and spatial variation of the human microbiota during pregnancy.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015; 112: 11060-11065
- The human microbiome project strategy for comprehensive sampling of the human microbiome and why it matters.FASEB J. 2013; 27: 1012-1022
- Structure, function and diversity of the healthy human microbiome.Nature. 2012; 486: 207-214
- Evaluation of 16s rdna-based community profiling for human microbiome research.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e39315
- Critical evaluation of two primers commonly used for amplification of bacterial 16s rrna genes.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2008; 74: 2461-2470
- biogeography of the ecosystems of the healthy human body.Genome Biol. 2013; 14: r1
- differences in vaginal microbiome in African American women versus women of European ancestry.Microbiology. 2014; 160: 2272-2282
- Early pregnancy changes in bacterial vaginosis-associated bacteria and preterm delivery.Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2014; 28: 88-96
- Diversity of microbes in amniotic fluid.Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2012; 17: 2-11
- Uncultivated bacteria as etiologic agents of intra-amniotic inflammation leading to preterm birth.J Clin Microbiol. 2009; 47: 38-47
- Ureaplasma urealyticum infection of the placenta in pregnancies that ended prematurely.Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 87: 122-127
- The Alabama Preterm Birth Study: umbilical cord blood ureaplasma urealyticum and mycoplasma hominis cultures in very preterm newborn infants.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 198: 43e1-43e5
- Local inflammatory response in choriodecidua induced by ureaplasma urealyticum.BJOG. 2007; 114: 1432-1435
- Spontaneous and indicated preterm birth subtypes: interobserver agreement and accuracy of classification.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: e1-e4
The authors report no conflict of interest.
M.J.S. has support from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) T32 (5 T32 HD055172-02), Washington University Clinical and Translational Science Award grant (UL1 TR000448), NIH/NICHD Women’s Reproductive Health Research Career Development Program at Washington University in St. Louis (5K12HD063086-05), and The March of Dimes Prematurity Research Center at Washington University in St Louis. M.G.T. has support from the National Institutes of Health/NICDH Women’s Reproductive Health Research Career Development Program at Washington University in St Louis (5K12HD063086-05). P.I.T. has support from the Digestive Diseases Research Core Center (P30DK052574 [Biobank Core]) and UH3 AI083265. The aforementioned funding sources had no role in the study design, collection/analysis/interpretation of data, or manuscript preparation.
These data will be available under Bioproject PRJNA294119 (accession numbers SRX1524928-SRX1525076).
Cite this article as: Stout MJ, Zhou Y, Wylie KM, et al. Early pregnancy vaginal microbiome trends and preterm birth. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;217:356.e1-18.