Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Maternal age at first childbirth and risk of low birth weight and preterm delivery in Washington State.JAMA. 1993; 270: 2574-2577
- Advanced maternal age and adverse perinatal outcome.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 104: 727-733
- Impact of maternal age on obstetric outcome.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 983-990
- Association of young maternal age with adverse reproductive outcomes.N Engl J Med. 1995; 332: 1113-1117
- Teenage pregnancy and adverse birth outcomes: a large population based retrospective cohort study.Int J Epidemiol. 2007; 36: 368-373
- Preterm birth and reduced birthweight in first and second teenage pregnancies: a register-based cohort study.BMC pregnancy childbirth. 2010; 10: 36
- The origin and outcome of preterm twin pregnancies.Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 85: 553-557
- The changing epidemiology of multiple births in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 101: 129-135
- The epidemiology of multiple births.Hum Reprod Update. 1999; 5: 179-187
- Three decades of twin births in the United States, 1980-2009.NCHS Data Brief. 2012; 80: 1-8
- Twin pregnancy, contrary to consensus, is a desirable outcome in infertility.Fertil Steril. 2009; 91: 2426-2431
- Maternal age and preterm births in singleton and twin pregnancies conceived by in vitro fertilisation in the United States.Paediat Perinat Epidemiol. 2015; 29: 22-30
- Infant mortality among singletons and twins in the United States during 2 decades: effects of maternal age.Pediatrics. 2002; 110: 1163-1168
- Outcomes of multiple gestations with advanced maternal age.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2009; 22: 593-596
- Obstetric outcomes in nulliparous women aged 35 and over with dichorionic twin pregnancy.Arch Gynecol Obstetr. 2007; 276: 573-575
- Twin gestation in older women: antepartum, intrapartum complications, and perinatal outcomes.Arch Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 273: 293-297
- Impact of advanced maternal age on neonatal survival of twin small-for-gestational-age subtypes.J Obstetr Gynaecol Res. 2007; 33: 259-265
- Incidence and birth weight characteristics of twins born to mothers aged 40 years or more compared with 35-39 years old mothers: a population study.J Perinat Med. 2001; 29: 128-132
- Perinatal outcome of twin pregnancies in women of advanced age.Hum reprod. 2008; 23: 2145-2150
- Teen twin pregnancies: differences in fetal growth outcomes among blacks and whites.Am J Perinatol. 2005; 22: 335-339
- Expanded data from the new birth certificate, 2008.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2011; 59: 1-28
- Association of sociodemographic variables with risk for very preterm birth in twins.Obstet Gynecol. 1998; 92: 53-56
- Assessing the quality of medical and health data from the 2003 birth certificate revision: results from two states.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2013; 62: 1-19
- Measuring gestational age in vital statistics data: transitioning to the obstetric estimate.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2015; 64: 1-20
- Flexible regression models with cubic splines.Stat Med. 1989; 8: 551-561
- Dose-response analyses using restricted cubic spline functions in public health research.Stat Med. 2010; 29: 1037-1057
- Is older maternal age a risk factor for preterm birth and fetal growth restriction? A systematic review.Health Care Women Int. 2005; 26: 852-875
- Every newborn, every mother, every adolescent girl.Lancet. 2014; 383: 755
- Births: final data for 2013.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2015; 64: 1-65
- Sensitivity of birth certificate reports of birth defects in Atlanta, 1995-2005: effects of maternal, infant, and hospital characteristics.Public Health Repo. 2011; 126: 186-194
- Congenital anomalies in twins: a register-based study.Hum Reprod. 2008; 23: 1306-1311
Supported by a career development award (K08HD082287) from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, National Institutes of Health (A.M.F.).
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: McLennan AS, Gyamfi-Bannerman C, Ananth CV, et al. The role of maternal age in twin pregnancy outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;217:80.e1-8.