Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Preterm birth: causes, consequences, and prevention.National Academies Press, Washington (DC)2007
- Correlation between initial neonatal and early childhood outcomes following preterm birth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 426.e1-426.e9
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units Network. Prevention of recurrent preterm delivery by 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 2379-2385
- Prophylactic administration of progesterone by vaginal suppository to reduce the incidence of spontaneous preterm birth in women at increased risk: a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 188: 419-424
- Progesterone vaginal gel for the reduction of recurrent preterm birth: primary results from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Ultrasound Gynecol. 2007; 30: 687-696
- Progesterone and the risk of preterm birth among women with a short cervix. Fetal Medicine Foundation Second Trimester Screening Group.N Engl J Med. 2007; 357: 462-469
- Vaginal progesterone reduces the rate of preterm birth in women with a sonographic short cervix: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. PREGNANT Trial.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 38: 18-31
- Vaginal progesterone in women with an asymptomatic sonographic short cervix in the midtrimester decreases preterm delivery and neonatal morbidity: a systematic review and metaanalysis of individual patient data.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 206: 124.e1-124.e9
- Vaginal progesterone decreases preterm birth ≤34 weeks of gestation in women with a singleton pregnancy and a short cervix: an updated meta-analysis including data from the OPPTMUM study.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 48: 308-317
FDA. FDA approves drug to reduce risk of preterm birth in at-risk pregnancy women. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm242234.htm. Accessed Feb. 4, 2011.
- Prediction and prevention of preterm birth. Practice bulletin no. 130.Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 120: 964-973
- Progesterone and preterm birth prevention: translating clinical trials data into clinical practice.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 206: 376-386
- SMFM Publications Committee. SMFM statement: the choice of progestogen for the prevention of preterm birth in women with singleton pregnancy and prior preterm birth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 216: B11-B13
- A blueprint for the prevention of preterm birth: vaginal progesterone in women with a short cervix.J Perinat Med. 2013; 41: 27-44
Clinical Trials. Confirmatory study of 17P versus vehicle for the prevention of preterm birth in women with a previous singleton spontaneous preterm delivery (PROLONG). Available at: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01004029. Accessed January 6, 2017.
- Randomized controlled trials and population-based observational research: partners in the evolution of medical evidence.Br J Cancer. 2014; 110: 551-555
- Real-world evidence–what is it and what can it tell us?.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 2293-2297
- Quality assessment of compounded 17-hydroxyprogesterone caproate.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 47.e1-47.e7
- Recurrence risk for preterm delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196: 576.e1-576.e7
- Relationship between 17-alpha hydroxyprogesterone caproate concentration and spontaneous preterm birth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 128.e1-128.e6
- Predictors of response to 17-alpha hydroxyprogesterone caproate for prevention of recurrent spontaneous preterm birth.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 376.e1-376.e8
- Recurrence of preterm birth in singleton and twin pregnancies.Obstet Gynecol. 2001; 98: 379-385
- Efficacy of 17alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate in the prevention of premature labor.N Engl J Med. 1975; 293: 675-680
- The effect of 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate on pregnancy outcome in an active-duty military population.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1983; 146: 187-190
- Progestogen administration in pregnancy may prevent preterm delivery.Br J Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 97: 149-154
FDA. Gestiva slides revision. Meeting of the Advisory Committee for Reproductive Health Drugs. Aug. 29, 2006. NDA 21-945, 17α-hydroxyprogesterone caproate (Gestiva). Available at: http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/ac/06/slides/2006-4227S1-02-03-FDA_Wesley_files/frame.htm. Accessed Jan. 7, 2017.
- Progesterone is not the same as 17α-hydroxyprogesterone caproate: implications for obstetrical practice.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 208: 421-426
- Prevention of preterm birth with vaginal progesterone or 17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate: a critical examination of efficacy and safety.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 45-56
- Progesterone and preterm: seventy years of “déjà vu” or “still to be seen”?.Birth. 2004; 31: 230-235
- Prevention of recurrent preterm delivery by 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate.N Engl J Med. 2003; 349: 1087-1088
- 17 alpha-Hydroxyprogesterone caproate vehicle, castor oil, enhances the contractile effect of oxytocin in human myometrium in pregnancy.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 202: 453.e1-453.e4
- Gestational diabetes: detection, management, and implications.Clin Diab. 1998; 16: 4-11
- Increased incidence of gestational diabetes in women receiving prophylactic 17α-hydroxyprogesterone caproate for prevention of recurrent preterm delivery.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 2277-2280
- The effect of progesterone on the human uterus.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1965; 54: 1069-1076
- Gap junctions and myometrial steroid hormone receptors in pregnant and postpartum rats: a possible cellular basis for the progesterone withdrawal hypothesis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1985; 151: 805-812
- Myometrial progesterone responsiveness and the control of human parturition.J Soc Gynecol Investig. 2004; 11: 193-202
- How does progesterone relax the uterus in pregnancy?.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 972-973
- Use of progesterone and progestin analogs for inhibition of preterm birth and other uterine contractility disorders.Facts Views Vis Obgyn. 2012; 4: 237-244
- Suppression of interleukin 8 production by progesterone in rabbit uterine cervix.Biochem J. 1994; 301: 183-186
- Hormonal regulation of matrix metalloproteinase 9/gelatinase B gene expression in rabbit uterine cervical fibroblasts.Biol Reprod. 1997; 56: 575-580
- Medroxyprogesterone acetate modulates remodeling, immune cell census, and nerve fibers in the cervix of a mouse model for inflammation-induced preterm birth.Reprod Sci. 2009; 16: 257-264
- Anti-inflammatory effect of proteoglycan and progesterone on human uterine cervical fibroblasts.Life Sci. 2012; 90: 484-488
- Vaginal progesterone, but not 17α-hydroxyprogesterone caproate, has anti-inflammatory effects at the murine maternal-fetal interface.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 846.e1-846.e19
- Prevention of preterm birth by progestational agents: what are the molecular mechanisms?.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 208: 223.e1-223.e7
- The use of progestational agents for preterm birth: lessons from a mouse model.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 195: 1004-1010
- Progesterone receptor polymorphisms and clinical response to 17-alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205: 135.e1-135.e9
- Pharacogenomics of 17-alpha hydroxyprogesterone caproate for recurrent preterm birth prevention.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 210: 321.e1-321.e21
- Unjustified increase in cost of care resulting from US Food and Drug Administration approval of Makena (17α-hydroxyprogesterone caproate).Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 1408-1412
- Estimated effect of 17 alpha-hydroxyprogesterone caproate on preterm birth in the United States.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 267-272
- Design of randomized controlled trials.Circulation. 2007; 115: 1164-1169
Clinical Trials. FAQ: clinical trial phases. Available at: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/services/ctphases.html. Accessed January 8, 2017.
- The environment and disease: association or causation?.Proc R Soc Med. 1965; 58: 295-300
- Exposure-wide epidemiology: revisiting Bradford Hill.Stat Med. 2016; 35: 1749-1762
- Beyond the randomized clinical trial: the role of effectiveness studies in evaluating cardiovascular therapies.Circulation. 2008; 118: 1294-1303
- A population-based, multifaceted strategy to implement antenatal corticosteroid treatment versus standard care for the reduction of neonatal mortality due to preterm birth in low-income and middle-income countries: the ACT cluster-randomized trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 629-639
- Antenatal corticosteroids for accelerating fetal lung maturation for women at risk of preterm birth.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; 3: CD004454
SMFM Newsroom. Physicians weigh in on study in The Lancet on use of antenatal corticosteroids in prevention of pre-term birth. Available at: http://www.smfmnewsroom.org/2014/10/physicians-weigh-in-on-study-in-the-lancet-on-use-of-antenatal-corticosteroids-in-prevention-of-pre-term-birth/. Accessed January 8, 2016.
Mcclure E, Goldenberg R, Swanson D, et al. Routine antenatal ultrasound in low/middle income countries: a cluster randomized trial. Abstract no. 3. Presented at: Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine 37th Annual Meeting–The Pregnancy Meeting; Jan. 23-28, 2017; Las Vegas, NV.
A portion of this study was sponsored by the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences of the National Institutes of Health under award number UL1TR001105. Additionally, members of this research team (Drs Nelson, McIntire, and Leveno) were supported by the Parkland Hospital Obstetric Research Center .
The authors report no conflict of interest.
Cite this article as: Nelson DB, McIntire DD, McDonald J, et al. 17-alpha Hydroxyprogesterone caproate did not reduce the rate of recurrent preterm birth in a prospective cohort study. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2017;216:600.e1-9.